Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

2013 3612 Leaking Slides

I've noticed what I thought was just a low spot in the floor of my 3612, about a step out from the bottom of the stairs, a foot or two away from the slide. As I opened the forum to post this, I see another thread about another 3612 with the same problem - not good.

I delivered this unit to Crossroads facility in IN just before the 2-year warranty ran out, and left it there for a week. At that time, they replaced the entire roof membrane, all the skylights, the Fantastic Fan (isn't that what it's called?), etc. All of this was due to what it seems was a known failure/problem with the roof they were using at the time.

While there, a leak was discovered in the bedroom slide - I was told the entire floor of the slide was saturated, so they re-built the floor of that slide. It was a serious PITA to have to haul it all the way up there, then return a week later to retrieve it, but I didn't really want anybody but the factory dealing with such an invasive, extensive disassembly/repair. Given the failure at the slide floor, I was convinced I'd done the right thing.

Before that trip, I found two spots in the floor that didn't feel right - one described above, and another, seemingly less significant, in the bedroom. Both of these were pointed out to the folks at CR, but I was told neither was detectable to the service folks there. Given that same circumstance today, I clearly wouldn't have accepted that answer - I've learned a lot about RVs since then.

Since then, the weak spot near the base of the stairs has gotten significantly worse. My first guess was a plumbing leak from below. The problem with that theory, is that there isn't any water leaking from under the trailer. The only logical explanation is that it's rain water working it's way in from the living room slide. Expired warranty or not, THAT is a MANUFACTURING failure/deficiency, NOT the result of anything I've done or failed to do.

The soft spot in the bedroom seems the same, EXCEPT for.. Upon returning to the trailer after a weekend when there was some freezing rain/snow, I found the carpet above that spot to be wet, but clearly it wasn't water that had dripped from above - it could only be water that seeped in from below the carpet, and pooled there significantly enough it saturated the carpet above it. Based on that, I'm concerned not only might the slide floor be wet again, but some portion of the bedroom floor obviously is, as well.

It's worth noting, I felt I received great service from both the Retail Service Tech I dealt with, and the gentleman out on the service floor that performed and/or directed the repairs. Both were helpful, and seemed to be giving me the straight scoop. Perhaps that's why I was so agreeable, and didn't push any further about the two spots in the floor. I'm regretting that today.

That said, I've also read the debacle that is englishmatt's Elevation, and am curious what kind of luck I might have approaching CR about a post-warranty repair of these two leaking slides. Any insight anyone has on that would be greatly appreciated. I have no qualms with delivering the unit to IN again to get this fixed as properly as the roof was, and in the grand scheme of things, that wouldn't be a terribly big deal (I do love a road trip), but I'm curious how likely it is I'll encounter any intellectual honesty about what's obviously at the root of these problems.

To clarify, this unit was purchased 10.13, and the warranty repair trip was 01.15.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Hey Dude...

My debacle continues, and my unit is at CR in IN right now having the frame welded, additional steel and aluminum added to the front, sidewalls and bottom, wood added, and the list goes on. I have a ton of photos. Fortunately for me, CR cam to Atlanta and collected my unit. They will return it by end of week this week hopefully.

The ONE thing I've not had yet is water leaks. I say the one thing, because I've had just about every other you can imagine. I have learned a TON about RV over the past 3 years. I honestly believe I could start a part-time job selling RVs, new and used, and could intelligently advise folks on just about anything structure related.

I could 100% argue the point that MY 3912 would be a great purchase for someone since it's not 2017 and I basically have a totally reengineered RV with:

New Roof - Entirely in 2015, then fully resealed again in 2016 for good measure
New Axles - Entirely: including Hub, Hangers, Brake System etc...
Reinforced Living Room Slide Rollers and Floor
New Living Room Flooring covering
Reengineered structure/frame: Removed Lag bolts and replaced with Carriage bolts
Additional Lag bolts added to the rear end of the RV to better hold the walls to the Lippert Frame.
Added Steel outriggers to the front end King Pin to prevent excessive flex.
New Slide seals all round
Added Slide Toppers all round to help prevent any rain run off leaking past the bulb seals.
New Front and Rear Awnings with aluminum casings: Replaced crap vinyl with highest level fabric material awnings.
and the list goes on and on...

One problem we have is that we really like our floor plan; there just isn't a good alternative for us. Given everything we've had repaired/replaced, I honestly (hand on heart) feel like our unit, upon return, will be better than new and if we traded it in on something will less voodoo...we'd end up starting this process all over again.

Like you, I have experienced first class support from CR and their extended team. I've received lengthy calls from their GM, Customer Care Manager and various techs as we've walked through the problems and repair remediation plan(s).

While I've been devastatingly disappointed with my Elevation, CR has been spectacular to deal with thus far and amazingly I would put them in the list when we purchase our next RV (assuming it's not a class A). In my opinion, the rubber meets the road in POST SALES. An donkey can promise the world with a new RV.

I'll post pics once my RV returns and we are all "happy" again.

Cheers - Matt.

2013 Elevation 3912
2017 Dodge RAM 3500HD Dually with AISIN
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
I've noticed what I thought was just a low spot in the floor of my 3612, about a step out from the bottom of the stairs, a foot or two away from the slide. As I opened the forum to post this, I see another thread about another 3612 with the same problem - not good.

I delivered this unit to Crossroads facility in IN just before the 2-year warranty ran out, and left it there for a week. At that time, they replaced the entire roof membrane, all the skylights, the Fantastic Fan (isn't that what it's called?), etc. All of this was due to what it seems was a known failure/problem with the roof they were using at the time.

While there, a leak was discovered in the bedroom slide - I was told the entire floor of the slide was saturated, so they re-built the floor of that slide. It was a serious PITA to have to haul it all the way up there, then return a week later to retrieve it, but I didn't really want anybody but the factory dealing with such an invasive, extensive disassembly/repair. Given the failure at the slide floor, I was convinced I'd done the right thing.

Before that trip, I found two spots in the floor that didn't feel right - one described above, and another, seemingly less significant, in the bedroom. Both of these were pointed out to the folks at CR, but I was told neither was detectable to the service folks there. Given that same circumstance today, I clearly wouldn't have accepted that answer - I've learned a lot about RVs since then.

Since then, the weak spot near the base of the stairs has gotten significantly worse. My first guess was a plumbing leak from below. The problem with that theory, is that there isn't any water leaking from under the trailer. The only logical explanation is that it's rain water working it's way in from the living room slide. Expired warranty or not, THAT is a MANUFACTURING failure/deficiency, NOT the result of anything I've done or failed to do.

The soft spot in the bedroom seems the same, EXCEPT for.. Upon returning to the trailer after a weekend when there was some freezing rain/snow, I found the carpet above that spot to be wet, but clearly it wasn't water that had dripped from above - it could only be water that seeped in from below the carpet, and pooled there significantly enough it saturated the carpet above it. Based on that, I'm concerned not only might the slide floor be wet again, but some portion of the bedroom floor obviously is, as well.

It's worth noting, I felt I received great service from both the Retail Service Tech I dealt with, and the gentleman out on the service floor that performed and/or directed the repairs. Both were helpful, and seemed to be giving me the straight scoop. Perhaps that's why I was so agreeable, and didn't push any further about the two spots in the floor. I'm regretting that today.

That said, I've also read the debacle that is englishmatt's Elevation, and am curious what kind of luck I might have approaching CR about a post-warranty repair of these two leaking slides. Any insight anyone has on that would be greatly appreciated. I have no qualms with delivering the unit to IN again to get this fixed as properly as the roof was, and in the grand scheme of things, that wouldn't be a terribly big deal (I do love a road trip), but I'm curious how likely it is I'll encounter any intellectual honesty about what's obviously at the root of these problems.

To clarify, this unit was purchased 10.13, and the warranty repair trip was 01.15.
Everything I've had done recently (even today) has been "out of warranty" and cost me $0. CR has been very, very good to work with.

That said, I've worked with my dealer too (Southern RV) to assist in my efforts. Southern RV have been fantastic through this process.

- Matt.

2013 Elevation 3912
Old 03-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishmatt View Post
In my opinion, the rubber meets the road in POST SALES.
I agree. I was definitely pleased with CR in that first go-around, but that was under warranty. I can only hope to have luck similar to yours dealing with them post-warranty.

Unfortunately, I don't have the dealer connection you have, 'cause I bought mine from Hamilton's RV in Saginaw. That's another story.

On a side note, I'm fairly certain we've met. It's been a decade or so, but I ran into you somewhere around Suches, GA riding motorcycles. I was probably on a KTM 950 at the time - I'm the "same guy" on advrider.com. On sight, I've been told the screen name here suits me. I like to think a conversation or two would indicate otherwise.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
I agree. I was definitely pleased with CR in that first go-around, but that was under warranty. I can only hope to have luck similar to yours dealing with them post-warranty.

Unfortunately, I don't have the dealer connection you have, 'cause I bought mine from Hamilton's RV in Saginaw. That's another story.

On a side note, I'm fairly certain we've met. It's been a decade or so, but I ran into you somewhere around Suches, GA riding motorcycles. I was probably on a KTM 950 at the time - I'm the "same guy" on advrider.com. On sight, I've been told the screen name here suits me. I like to think a conversation or two would indicate otherwise.

Yup, we've meet before. Couple of times at various ADV gigs. Think you had a GF with an 1150 GS too (grits or something as the tag), but I may be mixing up people.

I just responded to your PM.

Given your unit was up at CR before, and is a known entity, I'd think you are in a favorable position.

Good luck mate.

Matt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Elevation 3912
Old 03-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishmatt View Post
Yup, we've meet before. Couple of times at various ADV gigs. Think you had a GF with an 1150 GS too (grits or something as the tag), but I may be mixing up people.
Nope, that's me, and that was her tag. She's an awesome woman, and an incredible rider. I just wasn't much of a boyfriend at the time, and she moved on to better things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishmatt
Given your unit was up at CR before, and is a known entity, I'd think you are in a favorable position.
That's good to hear. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #7
New Camper

I too have a 2013 Elevation 3410 I purchased used. The "soft spots" in the floor is actually the floor rotting from water damage. I cut the linoleum and the floor was soaking wet ant the wood was rotted. They only fix I could get from the dealer was wider awnings over the slide outs. The seals leak , or so they say. Getting it back this weekend ( I hope ). The water comes in UNDER the floor so you cant find it till the floor rots and gets soft.
ToyhaulerTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:02 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Crossroads has replied - actually, the same guy I indicated I'd been happy with his response - with an absolute chicken**** refusal to help. He certainly wouldn't acknowledge that this is a known problem, but you can't convince me that they don't know...or that they didn't know when I showed them the two soft spots in the floor while it WAS under warranty.

It makes me furious that I spent hard-earned money on a p***-poor product, that they KNOW is just that, and they're satisfied to let their pathetic workmanship be my problem. This will cost me thousands to fix, and I'll still have an RV of questionable build quality, at best.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:09 AM   #9
New Camper

Got mine back yesterday. The only easy fix is an Extra Wide Awning over the slides. We cut the linoleum and fixed the floor ourselves. The Dealership fixed a smaller spot on the floor. 20mph winds and rain, no new wet spots. Good Enough but will never be happy with my purchase.
ToyhaulerTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:09 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Got a 2013 3612 Elevation. Have soft spots on each side of our living room slide. Am in process of fixing now. Was amazed that once I pulled the linoleum and started to remove wood subfloor, that floor was actually only a quarter inch "plywood" with about 2" Styrofoam, followed by another even skinnier piece of "plywood", and all was totally saturated. I was expecting to find 1/2" subfloor....surprise. Am wanting to replace with thicker plywood but am thinking based on floor structure that may be impossible. Anything you can share on how you fixed yours would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Retired Navy...love being a fulltime Landlubber
bigsky5601 is offline   Reply With Quote