Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Elevation 3616 Heat

I have a 2014 Elevation 3616, with two roof AC's (one is the optional addition for the bedroom), gas heat and a Dometic 2-zone thermostat. On cool, the thermostat does well in controlling the two AC's and keeping the temperature levels called for each zone. However, in furnace mode, with only one fan on the furnace, how is it supposed to control heat settings. I tried it this weekend to double check that it is working in prep for a Thanksgiving trip, and although the heater works, the temp in the bedroom would be 10-15 degrees warmer than the kitchen/living room. There is one heat duct in the bedroom, one in the bathroom (both put out a good flow), and there are two in the living room/kitchen - one out of the center island, and one out of the bottom of entertainment area. The two in the Living Room/Kitchen don't put out the same amount of air as the Bed/Bath floor registers. I couldn't tell which thermostat controls the heat. It seems to call for heat anytime either one of the zones calls for heat, but the air comes out of all the vents even if one zone is way over the temperature. Any thoughts on how to regulate heat temp?

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Site Team

You can pick up some adjustable floor vents to replace the ones already there, and I think that should help you regulate the temp a little better.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

As you guys know, I have a 2013 3912.

The heat production for the main are is not even close to being good enough. The problem is we only have a SINGLE heat vent in the floor for the entire living space. Makes no sense to me at all. The new 2015 units have multiple vents.

I did try closing (literally duct taped over) the vents in the sauna hot bathroom and bedroom, but it didn't work.

Only thing that made a difference (big one too) was straightening the run from the furnace to the SINGLE outlet under the breakfast bar. I had the dealer open the bottom up, cut out about 60% of the heat ducting and make the run from the furnace to the outlet as straight as possible. all work was covered under warranty.

The heating is now much better (not great), but I still use an electric heater when using campground 50amp.

This winter, I plan to add another heat vent in the floor.

2013 Elevation 3912
2017 Dodge RAM 3500HD Dually with AISIN
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:43 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

We just got back from a trip where heat was required at night. What we did was turn thermostat down to 50 in the living area (that is the zone that controls furnace) and placed the A/C in bedroom on FAN. We also covered the vent duct in bedroom to prevent hot air from entering. This at least made it livable. However, I did go into the area under the steps, behind the TV to look at the ducting. The ducting runs to the bedroom and bath are short and straight. The ducting to the living room/ kitchen goes down under the floor and terminates at a vent at the floor on the kitchen island. I see two options here. One is to disconnect the ducting to kitchen island from furnace, and instead install vent near the floor under the TV. It is already just a screen. This would make it a short straight run and put more air in the living room. The second option is to disconnect the bathroom ducting at the bathroom vent and relocate it to the area below TV near the floor, in the existing screen. Anyone else thought of or tried this?

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
Old 12-11-2014, 04:36 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I like the idea of routing the bathroom duct to the living space, but thinking of splitting the bathroom duct and sharing with living space rather than reroute completely. The open screen under the TV/Entertainment center is a cold air return to the furnace - so putting a heat duct there will probably make a "short circuit" in which much of the heated air will be pulled back in and recirculated instead of heating the living space efficiently. Not sure yet where to place the new supply.
The duct that supplies the kitchen island also supplies (a little) heated air to the garage, so you may not want to block or disconnect that duct. Had to pull the furnace this year to replace the sail switch due to a no heat condition, and sealed up the outlet connections to the furnace shroud to improve flow. Those sheet metal connections are loose and leaky.
Denny
President, Susquehanna Valley Chapter Shelby Dodge Auto Club (SDAC).
denviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:33 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denviola View Post
I like the idea of routing the bathroom duct to the living space, but thinking of splitting the bathroom duct and sharing with living space rather than reroute completely. The open screen under the TV/Entertainment center is a cold air return to the furnace - so putting a heat duct there will probably make a "short circuit" in which much of the heated air will be pulled back in and recirculated instead of heating the living space efficiently. Not sure yet where to place the new supply.
The duct that supplies the kitchen island also supplies (a little) heated air to the garage, so you may not want to block or disconnect that duct. Had to pull the furnace this year to replace the sail switch due to a no heat condition, and sealed up the outlet connections to the furnace shroud to improve flow. Those sheet metal connections are loose and leaky.
Denny
Good feedback. Thanks. I guess I'll look to see if the bottom step to Bedroom is accessible..

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
Old 12-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Seems to be a standard with Elevation with little to no heat in living area or garage, but bathroom is like a sauna. Was in Colorado mountains in October and needed heat a couple of days and like froze to death almost. Ended up using propane heater and using stove. Currently have the unit at the dealer for some issues under warranty with heat being one of them. Once I get it back and hear their explanation or repair to fix I will post to inform all.
acftphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:40 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Mine is at dealer now for the "Crossroads required" annual roof inspection, and I have raised the issue of heat with them, to have it addressed/fixed while they have it. I'll post the outcome.

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
Old 01-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Mine has been at a dealer for over 6 weeks now, to fix the kitchen and living room slide, they won't close straight, and i also put down the heat in the living room as an issue. Will post on here when they have it all finished up.
markovwgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:39 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Update on Heat. Got camper back from dealer. Their approach was to connect duct to different output at furnace, and shorten the duct to the living room/garage ducts. How they were able to do the latter without cutting the bottom cover is puzzling to me, but they said they were able to shorten duct without cutting it. Bottom line is the improvement is negligible...I'm going to pursue re-routing the bathroom ducting to exit the riser on the steps.

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
Old 02-11-2015, 07:48 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Cheers for the update Jerry. My experience was the same (negligible) but the cut the bottom of my 3912. That said, I use a small electric oil based radiator (looks like an old timey water radiator) without any heat elements and it gets the unit upto temp pretty quickly.

I think they need to have three or four registers in the main living area to keep it warm in there. I haven't looked at the 2015's but I'd suspect they have more heating outputs.

I just decided it wasn't worth the time to keep fighting it.

2013 Elevation 3912
Old 02-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

On my Rushmore. The duct tubes had fallen off the furance. Only taped on. No heat in bathroom or bedroom. I used two sheet metal screws & foil tape to reinstall. Now nice and warm
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #13
New Camper

Installed tee in ducting going to the hot bedroom and vented the other end under tv wall at the floor. Helps, but still very little heat in garage!
ofd163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:51 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Cool

I'm thinking of teeing the one to the bedroom, with one outlet to berdroom and one to bathroom. Then relocating the Bathroom line to exit at front of steps.

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
Old 02-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Pinkard View Post
I'm thinking of teeing the one to the bedroom, with one outlet to berdroom and one to bathroom. Then relocating the Bathroom line to exit at front of steps.
That makes some sense, my bathroom is like a sauna.

2013 Elevation 3912
Old 07-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #16
New Camper

Same Issue

I bought my Elevation used. It has the same heating problem. I returned it to the dealer I bought it from. The heat register under the kitchen island did not even have ducting ran to it. They ended up coming straight out the side of the furnace and ducting through one of the registers under the stairs. That puts a lot of heat to the living area, but now I notice the heat is bubbling the sticky paper on the fake wood register. Not a huge problem, I'll just replace it with a real wood or dressed up metal register. No help for the garage area. I just put a fan blowing into the back from the living area. As far as I'm concerned this is a MAJOR design flaw and Crossroads should issue a recall and correct this problem. Other than this, I love this RV.
jdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Where were you guys able to find properly sized tees for the duct hose?

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
Old 07-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #18
New Camper

My dealer made a new hole in the plenum. He did not T off the existing duct. Not sure how, I wasn't there when it was done, and everything is seal back up.
jdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

after 5 1/2 months at the dealer finally got my unit back. In regards to the heating issue, I was told that they cut some of the excess ducting and straightened it out from the furnace to the garage outlet. Didn't have the time to fully check it out, I know should have, but was on a tight timeline. Will be back to my unit in a couple of weeks and hopefully will be able to check it some to see and report back.
acftphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:04 PM   #20
New Camper

We have had a lot of issues with the heat in our 3616 Elevation as well. Currently it is at the dealer and has been there for over six weeks and was previously there approximately 9-10 times since we bought it for the heat. I am not sure if anyone is having issues. Ours heats up to sixty then shuts off and will not run again for hours. We have had the limiter switch changed and it did not work. I love the trailer but very disappointed that we cannot keep warm in cooler temperatures.
mcurlis is offline   Reply With Quote