Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2023, 07:25 AM   #1
New Camper

Furnace

Hi everyone, I have a 2012 elevation and now my Furnace is not working, the control panel comes on but the Furnace is not coming on.
Has anyone got any ideas to what the problem could be.
Thanks Gaz.
EnglandGaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 05:48 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I am going to have to assume a propane powered furnace ? Typically if a gas (propane) furnace doesn't fire up, its the igniter. Igniters are not terribly expensive. The one in our house goes south every couple years.

I would look and see if the ignitor is glowing red (heating up). That is how it ignites the flame.

Find the type and model of your furnace and look online for a service manual and/or a how to on youtube.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Just a couple questions to help in diagnosis. Did you change a propane tank or run out before this happened. What is the furnace doing-- Do you hear the fan run? Can you hear the ignitor click? Or does it do nothing? Do you know the brand of furnace - Suburban or Dometic?

The biggest one is how comfortable working on it and working with propane. If not than you should call a repair person.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 05:40 AM   #4
New Camper

Hi, Yes it's a propane suburban furnace, when I switch it on I can hear a click which sounds like it's coming from the a/c and again when I switch it off.
And it stopped working when the gas bottle was half full.
Old 03-07-2023, 06:47 AM   #5
Site Team

Here is a basic list of events on the operation of your furnace. You turn on the heat and set the thermostat. The thermostat sends a signal to the control box in the air conditioner to turn on the heat. The control box then sends a signal to the furnace to come on. The first thing the furnace does is to turn on the fan to purge out any leftover combustion gas and also turn on the sail switch that tells the furnace control board that the fan is turning fast enough to continue. Then that signal leaves the sail switch and goes to the high limit switch. if it is good the signal returns to the control board and tells it all safety checks are good and then it will turn on the gas valve and the ignitor to light the furnace burner. If ignition is successful the control board will keep the gas valve open and you have heat if not it will try up to 3 more times then go into LOCK OUT mode.

In a nutshell this is what you should hear -- 1 the blower come on -- 2 the ignitor clicking -- 3 the furnace will produce heat.

A few quick checks -- make sure you have gas- propane. light your stove/water heater to help purge air. Have someone turn the furnace on while you are outside at the intake/exhaust vent and listen for the igniter clicking and smell for propane.

If you are in "Lock Out" mode then disconnect the battery and shore power for about 5 minutes to reset the control board.

Hopefully this will get you started with the diagnosis.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:18 PM   #6
New Camper

Thanks for all that info I will have a look at the weekend when there's someone there to help me.
And if it's not in lock out mode would it be the sail switch that's the problem.

Cheers Gaz
Old 03-09-2023, 12:58 PM   #7
Site Team

Yes, No, Possibly. The sail switch is just part of a series of things to allow the furnace to light. A slow fan motor would cause the sail switch to not close but still be good. A bad control board will keep it from lighting but the sail switch still could be good. You will have to do some checks to see what is or is not happening and when it happens.

There are 2 good You Tuber's Hillbilly RV and My RV Works. Both are mobile tech's with many years experience and have some good videos on the operation and testing of suburban furnaces. That way you will also know what you are getting to and can see where things are and how to test them.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:24 PM   #8
New Camper

Yes I've watched some from hillbilly rv, I'll have a look at the other one then decide whether it's easy for me to fix, or get someone else to do it as its gonna be a sod to get out as there's wires and pipes in the way.