Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Garage AC won't start

My toy hauler has three AC units. The main one runs all of the ducts, the front unit dumps to the front bedroom, and the rear unit is supposed to cool the garage. Now that it's hot, I realized that I don't remember the garage AC ever coming on. I assume I'm doing something wrong. Or not?
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

Those with 3 acs have some sort of power management system that won't allow all 3 to run at once, not sure how it all works though.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

That's what I thought, so I shut off the front unit.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

If there is some sort of management on the electrical to me it means they ran to small of a conductor wire for the 3 ac.
Randy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:33 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy68 View Post
If there is some sort of management on the electrical to me it means they ran to small of a conductor wire for the 3 ac.
I don't think it's possible to run 3 AC units simultaneously. You can't get that much power from the camp ground pedestal. You are limited to 50 amps on any RV.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:34 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I would think it has a power management system to prevent all 3 from running and going over 50 AMPs.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #7
Site Team

From what I can find, each Ac whether a ducted or non ducted draw anywhere from 15 to 16 amps each. A large draw on the 50 amp system.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
From what I can find, each Ac whether a ducted or non ducted draw anywhere from 15 to 16 amps each. A large draw on the 50 amp system.
Very true. I should be able to run two of the units though. With the front unit off, I can't launch the rear unit.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #9
Site Team

If you still have a warranty, maybe it's time get it checked out. And if not, it's still time to get it checked out.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

RESOLUTION: I picked up the trailer from the dealer yesterday after they fixed a bunch of warranty items. Their method seems to be to look at your list, fix some stuff, and then send you on your way while they order parts and/or get factory approval for other outstanding items. Then while I have the trailer back in my possession I find other issues and add them to the list. This cycle continues on and on and I assume once we get to the end of the one-year warranty we'll all just put our pencils down and call it "done".

But I digress...

So the garage AC was an item that stumped the dealer and the factory. The factory says there's a switch that looks like a residential light switch somewhere back in the garage to turn the AC off and on. I don't really get the purpose of that, since the thermostat has temp controls and also has an on/off switch, but I'm just the dumb customer. Anyway, the service writer said that they sent photos to Crossroads to prove that there's no switch. Crossroads described the switch to the dealer and the dealer described it to me. I took the service guy up into the front bedroom and point to the same switch for the front AC.

I never touch that switch since it's in the ceiling and the thermostat is easier to reach. Plus there's no on/off indicator and I don't want to accidentally put it in the wrong position and then have the AC not come on as expected.

The service writer flipped that switch (which kind of bugged me, because like I said, I don't touch that switch). The other two ACs were already running, but when he flipped the switch, we heard the generator rev up for a second under a new load. Sonovagun, that switch up in the front bedroom is what controls the garage AC.

Go figure.

Problem solved.

(And yes, the gen can run all three AC units at the same time. Go gen, go!)
Old 10-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
(And yes, the gen can run all three AC units at the same time. Go gen, go!)
CORRECTION: No it can't. I thought all three were running, but they weren't.

I think I now finally understand that magic switch up in the front bedroom. It's a toggle. It enables/disables the bedroom and garage ACs. In one position, the front bedroom AC will run. In the other position, the garage AC will run. They won't both run at the same time. And now I understand why it's up front in the bedroom.

This would have been a great switch to document and/or label.

Now I know. (I think)