Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2012, 04:13 AM   #1
New Camper

Hello,

I am new to this forum and to looking at toy haulers. Just a quick question about 5th wheel hitches, are there different quality of 5th wheel hitches? I am looking at the 3612 model but also have to buy a hitch, looking for options for hitches.
NorthernBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
Site Team

There are quite a few different brands of hitches. I would suggest you do a Google search for the different brands and do some reading. If you have any RV dealers near you they usually have a hitch or two on display that you could look at. Just don't believe "everything" they tell you.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

The two categories of hitches are sliders and non-sliders. If you have a short bed truck you will almost universally hear that you need a slider. With the 3612 the front cap has been designed so that you can have a short bed without a slider. I've already had it at several very sharp angles and had no problems.
I have the B&W Companion hitch with the rails mounted under the bed. I really like it. This is my first fifth wheel so I have nothing to compare it to, but it hooks up easily and when I don't plan on towing I pull the hithc out and throw my bed liner back in.
bws1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
New Camper

Try checking with these guys... You can call them and ask questions.<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:n&#111;ne">
http://www.hitchanything.com/5th-Wheel-Slider-Hitch/
Old 06-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

If I had it to do over again, I would probably buy the B&amp;W Companion; although it is very pricey. I have a 20K Curt and it is a bear to remove when I want to use the bed for hauling stuff. (but it was only $795.)
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I have a PullRite SuperGlide that I'd recommend. It's much more expensive (~$2000 or more, it came with the Seville as part of the deal). I built a hoist in the barn to lift it out when I want to haul something. My mounts are under the bed so when I pull the posts, the bed is clear.

Sliding is automatic on turns so so you don't have to mess with releasing the hitch, pulling forward, then relatching. The only real hassle is that you have to have a catch plate that actuates the hitch to let it slide. I have no idea what would happen without the plate but I'd bet it would be interesting.

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I have a short bed and a slider. I believe a Reese 16k (it is what the Crossroads dealersold and installed). Some say you do not need it with these new caps but mine does. I have been in several situations where it has helped me out. Sometimes people forget roads and sites have sharp turns on changing inclines and the cap can get closer to the cab in these situations.

Anyhow, do your research...and good luck!
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
New Camper

Anyone looking for a great deal on a 3612? Contact Camping World, Denver. They have one in stock that they want to move as they are dropping the line. Eric, their sales manager, offered to sell it for $48,xxx.
Jbettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I have been looking at hitches for my long bed truck. The B&amp;W patriot was recommended to me. I have been told that the ones with the jaw closuresare less likely to have issues than the ones with the slider pins. Again, this is going off of forum research as I am just looking into getting a 5er hitch myself.

Here is the link to the B&amp;W patriot... http://tweetys.com/band-w-patriot-16...ing-rails.aspx Not sure if this is enough hitch for that trailer or if you would want one rated for more weight.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
New Camper

May I suggest that you at least consider the Companion. The Patriot will still have the rails exposed in your bed which can be a major in convenience.
Jbettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
New Camper

I changed my unit over to a goose neck and it pulls great and nothing to remove from the bed. I had a flip up ball already in the bed so it seemed like the best option for me. We switched the pin box from the trailer to a Reese air ride system and it just floats back there. This is the only goose set up the manufacture will except for warranty purposes. The are not cheap that's one of the draw backs and a little harder to get hooked up when you have a short bed and you can't see the ball from inside the truck. But I'm getting really good at it now.
MINDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Read the warranty very carefully and check with the factory. If they say it is good than get it in writing. a Goose neck will void the frame warranty The only other pins that you can use is those made or sold buy Lippart

Edited by: fhenn
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #13
New Camper

The dealer said that it was the only one. It was also dealer installed.
MINDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

I would get it in writing from CrossRoads and or Lippert

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote