Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2016, 09:40 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Poll: How many Toy Hauler owners?

Sound off.

What do you own?
What are your toys?
Where do you camp?
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:56 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I'll start off.

Hi, I'm Dave. Big family. Sadly we are getting smaller. As our kids grow up, our group gets smaller and we all assume more chores. Somehow that meant for us we needed a bigger more comfortable rig with a separate garage so we wouldn't have to unload when we get to camp.

We have a Homestead fifth wheel. It's massive. We love it.

We ride dirt bikes. We are down to three riders and three bikes.

We mostly camp at Spangler Hills but now we are checking out the improved sites and sampling the improvements.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:02 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Hi Dave, I'm Larry.

I have been riding bikes and quads for over 30 years now. Currently I have achieved getting my current wife and step daughter into the scene so with having more toys and girls in tow I had to get a camper for home type necessities. Watching my son grow up with bikes, we used to just tent it. Things change.

We have the Z-218TD front deck TH
3 sport ATV"s. My Raptor 700 highly modded & my dirt bike
Gould, Colorado has become favorite because of views and abundance of moose.
Walden & Red Feather lakes are our other go to spots for adventure.
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:40 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Hello Dave
I'm Dayne Ive had two other toy haulers. They were TT one sandpiper and the last a Sandstorm. I just bought the Altitude 3712 fifth wheel with a garage . I currently own a 2011 Kawasaki Teryx. I ride and camp all over Utah Primarily by my house here in eastern Utah. I'm very fortunate to live where I can be in the desert in 5 minutes or near 8000ft elevation in about 15 minutes. Can't imagine not having a toy hauler anymore.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

So if I'm reading this right, there are only 3 of us? I would have guessed a slightly higher number, but the number is the number. Anybody else?
Old 05-13-2016, 02:16 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I wish back in the day we had toyhaulers. When the kids were young we moved from a tent to a truck camper so we could haul the bikes, trikes and quads. They have come a long way from the original tt toy haulers.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
I wish back in the day we had toyhaulers. When the kids were young we moved from a tent to a truck camper so we could haul the bikes, trikes and quads. They have come a long way from the original tt toy haulers.
They sure have. They've even evolved in the 12 years since we bought our first one. Our new one is a palace in comparison.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #8
New Camper

Dave-
We are Ron and Janie, and do not use our toy hauler for toys. Janie makes gourmet candy and uses the garage as her workshop. We are full time ministers, traveling the US. We do not have a home base, and live in our fifth wheel. We currently own a 2015 Crossroads Elevation Talledega. Unfortunately, we have had nothing but trouble with it since we purchased it a little under 2 months ago. We have had it in for warranty work, and even the dealership was surprised at the sheer amount of items that were not completed, done incorrectly, etc.
We had a 2009 Heartland Sundance fifth wheel prior to this, and lived in it for over 5 years, so we were very excited to upgrade to a toy hauler, with more space and functionality.
We hope to get all of it resolved, but keep coming up against new problems.
Revwright1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:04 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revwright1 View Post
Dave-
We are Ron and Janie, and do not use our toy hauler for toys. Janie makes gourmet candy and uses the garage as her workshop. We are full time ministers, traveling the US. We do not have a home base, and live in our fifth wheel. We currently own a 2015 Crossroads Elevation Talledega. Unfortunately, we have had nothing but trouble with it since we purchased it a little under 2 months ago. We have had it in for warranty work, and even the dealership was surprised at the sheer amount of items that were not completed, done incorrectly, etc.
We had a 2009 Heartland Sundance fifth wheel prior to this, and lived in it for over 5 years, so we were very excited to upgrade to a toy hauler, with more space and functionality.
We hope to get all of it resolved, but keep coming up against new problems.
I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles, Ron.

What kind of issues are you finding?

I've got a pretty short list so far:

* Level-up jacks. The Autolevel doesn't work.
* Fresh water drain doesn't work.
* LED light broken in the bedroom
* LED light on the nose is full of water and only works intermittantly
* Cargo door holds are both broken
* There's a high pitched whine coming from the fuse panel. My wife can't hear it, but my son and I can. It's so bad that after three trips camping in the new coach I now have constant tinnitus ringing in my ears.
* It didn't come with a crank handle for the spare tire holder.

I have an appointment to take it in to the dealer next week for them to take a look.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:34 PM   #10
New Camper

Dave-
Our list is much like yours.
- The Auto Level did not work - took it in for warranty work, and they discovered the hydraulic hoses were wired in the wrong places, so when I pushed for the Right to go up/down, the Left would, One of the Rear hoses was attached to the middle, etc. It was a miracle I ever got it level for the three weeks it took to get it in. Also one of the sylenoids was leaking.
- LED light above the stove doesn't work - they have to order those special from the manufacturer, so be prepared to wait for that to come in before it can be repaired.
- Fresh water drain would drain the water out before it was half full - there was a loop missing in the overflow
- Black tank valve had leaks past the valve - there was construction debris in it keeping it from closing all the way
- Furnace made loud grinding noise when we turned it on and we lost all power for a few moments - the fan had completely blown apart into pieces
- Rear axle seal was leaking
- Light in my Utility Compartment wasn't working - it was missing the wire to the switch
- Shelves in the living area had bottoms popping out - they repaired those
- Batteries were not receiving a charge - The charge line going from the disconnect to the breaker was loose
- Two decorative lights in the kitchen keep blowing the bulbs. - not fixed yet
- Both Sani flushes leaked when used - they were both missing the rubber gaskets to seal properly

I hope the information above helps you when you go to the dealership.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:39 PM   #11
New Camper

Dave-
Our most recent frustration came today. We are in AZ, where we spend a lot of our time, and our two 15K BTU AC's won't keep up. We have put reflective panels in our windows to darken the RV and reflect the sun, and have had our awnings out all day, but can't get the temp below 90 degrees. Our unit has a front bath, with the closet in the front of our rig, and the closet is basically just an oven, heating up both our entire rig, even closing the door to it doesn't help. I can only assume this is an insulation problem, as it doesn't matter if I use the Bedroom AC with the Living AC, or the Garage AC with the Living AC, it's still just plain hot.
Honestly, we have called Crossroads, and are about ready to call them again, to refund or replace our unit.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:26 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Well I feel very lucky for sure. Granted I think our Z-1 is just entry level for toyhaulers, but man, zero issues and we love it so far. Hope you guys get yours taken care of sooner than later.
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:02 AM   #13
New Camper

Hi, We have a 2016 Altitude 3811 pulled by a 2016 F350 4x4 Dually and haul 2 Harleys. Would love to hear from others on any modifications or problems. Thanks
RandR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

I have had 2 toy haulers 2000 21' fleetwood prowler and now 2010 39'9" keystone raptor. Sure they both had problems. But warrenty issues was almost none. Fixed them all myself and added lot of mods. 2 motors landing gear, progressive surge protection , powermax converter, air compressor. 2 excess doors in storage compartment. Heater register for garage. External quick disconnects water air and propane, sewer hose container hold 40' hose. 13 more ty downs in garage and 1 removable chock for Harley . Toys 125, 250 bikes 3 quads. And all the other stuff. camping mostly desert, but we have gone to the Colorado river and pismo beach few times.
Randy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #15
New Camper

Hi RevWright,

I was very disheartened to see your post about your Talladega. We have had dreadful problems with our 2014 Forest River Wildcat and are currently in negotiations to trade our Wildcat for a 2105 Crossroads Talladega. We were hoping this would be an upgrade for us, but now I am afraid. I also followed the previous post about the Elevation line getting cancelled. It looks like the Man. Rep, Christian claimed this was not the case in 2015, but our Dealer told us Friday (July 22, 2016) that Elevation was indeed being discontinued. So would your advice at this point be to refrain from this trade? Would love to know your thoughts.
Glimmergail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:05 PM   #16
Gone Traveling

All rvs are not created equal! You might never have the problems someone else having or vice a versa. Hopefully the previous owner got all the bugs worked out. I don't have the Elevation, but the Redwoods were built on the same assembly line, so the same folks put them together (some not very well I might add).
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #17
New Camper

Thanks Travelin Texan! You are absolutely right. We find out today (hopefully) what they will offer us regarding the Wildcat/Talladega switch. Wish us luck! The waiting is killing me. We are in Texas too by the way, Fort Worth to be exact. Where are you?
Old 07-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #18
Gone Traveling

We lived in Haslet when we retired, now travel the country chasing grandkids, 3 in the Texas panhandle & 4 in the Tacoma Washington area.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmergail View Post
Hi RevWright,

I was very disheartened to see your post about your Talladega. We have had dreadful problems with our 2014 Forest River Wildcat and are currently in negotiations to trade our Wildcat for a 2105 Crossroads Talladega. We were hoping this would be an upgrade for us, but now I am afraid. I also followed the previous post about the Elevation line getting cancelled. It looks like the Man. Rep, Christian claimed this was not the case in 2015, but our Dealer told us Friday (July 22, 2016) that Elevation was indeed being discontinued. So would your advice at this point be to refrain from this trade? Would love to know your thoughts.
Hey, My name is Bill and my wife and I also have a 2015 Talladega. We've had it for just over a year now and we are very happy with it. I won't say that it's been problem free, but all of our issues have been fairly minor and I've been able to take care of them myself. We don't have any toys, we use it for doing craft shows and festivals. My wife uses the space for her sewing room when we are on the road and we use the ramp as additional deck space. When the kids are in town and want to come with us we have plenty of space for them. Over all we have been very pleased with our trailer. Just about any forum you look at is going to scare you away from a purchase. I find that most of the people that post are having issues.

I hope this helps you some with your decision making. Have a great time camping!

Bill

Bill and Kim Wandrack
Wake Forest NC
2015 Crossroads Elevation Talladega
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW
6.7L High Output Diesel
AISIN 6 spd auto 4:10
bwandrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:28 PM   #20
New Camper

Went with a Cruiser Boss

Thanks Bill,

We went with a 2016 Cruiser Boss 4290. It had a lot more bells and whistles and we liked that it wasn't just a long row of recliners in the living area. So I guess I will be moving over to the Thor forum instead. Thanks so much for all of the advice.