Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2021, 03:26 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Smile Suburban Furnace in Elevation 3612

Still new here but the learning continues and I want to be sure I share what I have learned for others.

I have a 2014 Elevation 3612. Two nights ago, the original installed suburban furnace did not kick on like it was supposed to.

At the thermostat, the heat was on with fan on auto and when it was time to kick on, all I could hear is the blower for about 30 seconds, then it kicked off.

I tried to troubleshoot it myself:
- Checked propane level, GOOD
- Check propane flow by igniting the stove, GOOD
- Ensured I was not in lockout mode by cutting shore and battery power for 5 min, GOOD but still same result.
- Checked battery for ample voltage for furnace to ignite.
- Checked air flow (ample, no mud dabbers or dust/hair in exhaust)

...this led me to believe it was the sail switch which activates the igniter. I have no mechanical background of any kind.

So, I made a call to my local mobile repair guy (who was fantastic by the way and if anyone needs one in the Maryland area - PM me and I will get you the info). After he troubleshot the unit, he determined it was the sail switch.

Took them some effort to get to the unit through the storage in the other side of the unit. They pulled it, checked it over and replaced the sail switch.

Happy knowing that I will be warm tonight Hope this helps someone who might have the same or similar issue!

2014 Crossroads Elevation 3612
2016 Ram 2500 Longhorn w/Cummins
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide
~~ Semper Fidelis ~~
NKGig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 07:29 AM   #2
New Camper

Hi have you any pictures of where that sail switch is as I'm having trouble with my Furnace.

Gaz
EnglandGaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 08:15 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Great report. Thanks

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 10:16 AM   #4
Site Team

The sail switch sets in the housing with the room air blower. If you have external access / door on the outside of your camper it is not too bad. If not the furnance has to be removed. First you have to gain access to it then after turning the propane off at the tanks disconnect it at the furnace. Disconnect the electrical connections. Disconnect the duct work if any. Remove the mounting screws and remove the furnace. Then remove the furnace case. Check out Hillbilly RV on You Tube. He has several videos on the suburban furnace. He is a mobile tech with many years of experience. By the way the last video he did it was not the sail switch but the motor not turning fast enough.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elevation furnace, furnace, how to fix, not working, suburban furnace