Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

TV signal

This trip was the first time using the TV as able to get a signal. Using the roof antenna only. Found something puzzling, with generator running, TV on, when I would go into the front bedroom and turn the lights on, the TV would go blank, saying signal lost. Turn the bedroom lights off, picture came back on. Seems some t/s is due, but seeing if anyone else has ever had such a problem? Thanks
Old 10-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

You'll find this in other threads here, if you search. Seems that the 12V power going to the booster amp is tapped off of the "wrong" side of a lamp switch. The lamp gets 12V power, but doesn't light until the switch is on, which routes the circuit to ground. (Yes, I know, the positive side SHOULD be switched, not the ground side.) Seems they then tap the booster off of what looks like the power side, but is actually the ground side. When the switch is off, the power comes through the bulb (in series) to the amp. When the switch is on, the bulb comes on, but the feed to the amp is now grounded. One guy reversed the wires in the ceiling fan, but then the fan was pulling in when it should have been exhausting. Others have routed a different source of 12V to the amp.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks Marty. When I have a chance I will start taking things apart and ringing out the wires. Will search the threads further for more assistance.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
New Camper

Marty my signal goes out when the bathroom light is turned on, if I reversed the wires at the switch would that correct the problem?
kb smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb smith View Post
Marty my signal goes out when the bathroom light is turned on, if I reversed the wires at the switch would that correct the problem?
I don't think so. If my "the switch cuts off the ground side, not the power side" theory is correct, then reversing the wires on the switch would put the booster tap on the ground side and it would never come on. Poke around with a voltmeter, and see what you find. Also, if my theory is correct, then removing the light bulb in the bathroom light would also prevent the booster amp from ever getting power.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
New Camper

Thanks Marty, will check out as perscribed.
kb smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Appreciate the input. Will have to put off the t/s and fix for a couple months as off to AZ for work.