Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
New Camper

Converter fan runs constantly

We recently purchased a 2013 Z1. Our first trip out was fine once we determined the hot water heater had a bypass valve which was not specified in the manual. After we found the access panel and got the water turned on we had no problem. Once we got it home, we plugged it into the 30amp power outlet we have in our garage. We noticed a few days later that the converter fan was running but nothing was on inside the camper (no lights switched on, no refrigerator on, no AC on...nothing electrical was turned on or running). I checked the deep cycle battery and noticed that it was low on water so I filled it up. Would the battery being low on water trigger something that would make the converter fan run? We're kind of new to camping but I don't see why the battery would make the fan run.

Anyone have any suggestions or solutions to this issue?
Shannon Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Sometimes the fan on my convertor stays on for a bit after I turn the lights off. Was everything electrical turned off for a while?
nachtmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

If the battery was low enough on water to expose the plates, then a short could have developed and the converter and fan is running full time trying to charge it to the proper voltage. Disconnect the battery and see if the converter fan stops running, if so, time for a new battery.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote