Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
New Camper

My new 231FB, which I really like, has a battery drain problem. While in storage, with no shore-power plugged in) the battery drains dead..... once down to 3V. Since the Z1 and battery are new (3 months), I immediately charged the battery with a deep-cycle charger (that I use on my sailboat battery) and the battery charged back up and held its charge.

Now, the question. Why does the battery go down so quickly in only a one month storage period? I know that the damn $%# radio always stays on (which I wish it wouldn't), and that the gas sensor always stays on. Does anything else stay on?

In fooling around with the fuses (about which NO mention is made in the manuals that come with the Z1) I found that when I pulled the 15Amp fuse labeled "BRoom" that both the radio and the gas sensor went off. And, the little read light to the left of the fuse went on which, I guess, means that there was a load on that circut.

Other fuses I pulled had no red light go on, except for the fuse labeled "Slide". The red light went on indicating that there is a load on that circut. However, since I have no Slide out in my unit (the 231FB), I wonder why the load on that circut.

Does anybody have the wiring diagram for the Z1, 231, or know how to obtain one. My dealer says they do not have one and the factory won't provide one. I think this is BS, but that is what he says. In effect, he is no help.

Any ideas ???

(this is my first post,.... I hope that I am doing this right)

Thanks

Howard Staley
Lebanon, OH

Aeolus81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #2
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

There is alot of phantom elec draw on the battery. Such as my monoxide detector . It will kill my battery fast.
When parked disconnect one batt terminal. Or install a disconnect switch..

The little red light came on because you pulled the fuse. They normally come on when a fuse blows, to alert you.

PaulEdited by: Pnr

Pnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #3
Site Team

try a battery disconnect switch. http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery...FUWi4AodIS0AlA

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
New Camper

Thanks for the replys so far.

Please bear with me as I am a first time travel trailer owner.

Your replysseem to reinforce the fact that on this travel trailer, you can not leave the trailer, in storage, not plugged in, or the battery will very soon run down. I wonder why is thetrailer's owner's manual totally silent to this requirement? I wonder why the dealer is totally silent to this?

Trucks and cars can be left for a period of time without various circuts running down the batteries; I know of no boat where phantum circuts drain batteries. I find it hard to conceive that CrossRoads builds a trailer that, when not used, will run down a brand new battery in less than a month. Heck, trailers and boats are in storage MOST of the time! Am I missing something or is this the normal thing with most brands of trailers ??

The whole issue begs the question,..... since these various phantum circuts are apparently "designed" to be active all the time, am I jepordising the trailer by turning off these circuts by disconnecting the battery? If not, why doesn't the manufacturer simply install a battery cutoff switch, somewhere on the inside of the trailer, to make it convenient to protect the battery? Almost all boats have some type of master circut switch to isolate the battery.

Please help. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

Howard Staley

Lebanon, OH
Aeolus81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

You will not hurt anything in the trailer by disconnecting your battery when not in use. After we get back from each trip I turn the battery disconnect switch off. I do have a Battery Minder connected to the battery to keep it float charged between trips but it is disconnected from the trailer. Our current unit came with a disconnect switch but on our old Cruiser I had to install one.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Here's a battery cut off switch for $8.45. http://www.amazon.com/Post-Battery-M...cut+off+switch

I recommend you just install one and quit worrying about it.
Berniross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Thre are so many variables as to how people use thier trailers. Some of the power drains are not neccessary but some are. We don't want to forget to turn on our propane detector, so it is on.
Many RV's are shipped without batteries and it is provided by the dealer. I imagine they would rather sell you a switch then give it to you.
X2 on Bernie's advice
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Rather than use a battery disconnect, I mounted a small solar battery minder to the top of my LP cover. It has been able to keep up with the phantom power draws, and has the added benefit of keeping the battery properly charged. My summertime storage location has a nice clear view of the southern sky all day. Your situation might not allow you to use this kind of solar charger.
2012: 10 Nights & 254 Miles

Antares is offline   Reply With Quote