Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 10:26 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

First Roof Cleaning

Some here may know we bought our Z-1 in January, and have since logged 4000 miles and about 23 nights in it. Today, in warm weather, I gave the roof its first cleaning. Just some observations:
1. I didn't climb on top; I used our 12 ft ladder all around. I used a medium brush on a stick, a squirt bottle of 50/50 Spic and Span liquid and water. I have this multi-spray nozzle "wand" which I will forego next time for an ordinary hose nozzle.
2. The dirt comes off fairly easily. But the stains do not. You see stains up there that must have come from manufacturing, but you don't see from afar, say on the deck or porch. Some water stains running from the AC, but not bad. I did not (this time) try to attack the stains. I just wanted it clean and get a good look at the rubber roof.
3. I found two little tiny "chips" in the rubber. One had previously been touched with a little caulk, which rubbed off with water and my finger. The other, a new one, could have been a rock, road hazard, or even a falling pine cone. Both got touched up with DiCor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant.
4. Everything else looked pretty good. Next time, in late summer, I'll climb on top and open up the AC shroud. But for now, it's nice to know the roof is in good shape, and is clean!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I don't have my TT yet, but how often should you clean the roof. I don't have a ladder attached so I'm assuming I shouldn't be walking around up there?

I guess I'm in need of a good ladder in the near future...
jimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
Site Team

A couple - two - three times a year. Check out our document sections. There is a lot of good info there for rv owners.

Back to the roof. I only do it once a year.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, roof cleaning