Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

WOW! What a drive!, I was very impressed on how the Hensley Arrow allowed me to pull my TT from Central Jersey to Fort Wilderness at Disney World and Back again! I will say if anyone has done this trip it is a PAIN!, The only saving grace is that you can pull into a rest area and slide out the slide out and nap nicely. Don't think I'll do this again as it was just too long of a drive!

I wonder how much it would cost to have it towed there?
Z1 owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Sounds like you were in a hurry to get there. That can ruin any trip. Slow down, smell the roses, and see the scenery.

As was said when I was riding, "It isn't the destination, it's the trip"
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Wow, sorry to hear your trip was too long. We make the trip every couple of years from Indiana and we just love it. We take two days to get there and always have a blast...with four kids.We must be crazy?

More importantly, how did you like Fort Wilderness? We love the cleanliness of the campground and renting a golf cart to tool around in is always fun. Plus early park admission!
Schabtod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

we are leaving a week from today to drive from NC to Ft wilderness. So excited. It's our first time at the fort and DD's first trip to disney! I'm nervous about the long drive just cause im afraid something will go wrong. we allowed a day and a half fr the 600 mi trip so we can push hard the first leg of the trip and take it easy the second leg, hopefully it won't be too stressful.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Have a wonderful trip. I generally like to strech the 1st day. Just the excitement level keeps you sharp and happy. 600 is not too tough. Start early take breaks. You are experienced relax and have fun!!!
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Our trip in total was over 2600 miles. The whole time I had the Nissan Armada packed with 7 passengers and pulling about 7100 lbs. It wouldn't have been so bad if I wasn't the only Man and most of the passengers weren't females ranging in age from 15 to 23 so you can imagine how much drama went along for the ride..... A couple of things worth mentioning.

My gas mileage was around 7-9 miles per gallon and that was using the 93 octane or better which raked in a fuel bill of over 1100!

on two separate occasions I found the bathroom door wide open! I rechecked the locks and they were engaged so I'm guessing the many bumps I encountered along the way must have flexed the frame enough to pop the door open in the rear. ( Walk around the trailer at every stop!)

The gas stations are of course at your own risk so be alert in the night on I-95 as I was approached a few times by vagrants looking for spare change and there was NOBODY around for miles other than the person behind the glass who didn't look like they would be of much help anyway.

I found travelling at night helped me avoid any major traffic issues and kept me moving.

We did however come into Florida around 2 in the afternoon and as soon as we hit the Disney area around 5 pm we sat for about an hour before we could move less than a mile!

AVOID the rush hour!

The Golf Cart cost me over 600.00! I would suggest you reserve one a month in advance and ASK for a newer one on the 4000's as the older ones are pretty beat up.

Bring you own coffee! I ran low and it cost me 16.00 for a can of Mickeys best which sucked!

Publix or Walmart is your best bet.

It RAINED a LOT! so bring ponchos, (Florida Sunshine!) It always rains there so get used to it.

If you want to see the fireworks from the best vantage point I suggest you go to the new Fantasyland and sit at the tables by the carousel as it puts you in the middle of it! AWESOME~~!!!

I did however enjoy passing most 5vers and TT's being pulled by pickups and diesels using conventional hitches as the wind in Georgia and Florida was crazy but my HA allowed me to hit 80 all the way thru! Nosway, No issues.....

I may not go back next year as this was a bit too much for me unless I can find an inexpensive service to pull it down there for me and back.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken07734

I did however enjoy passing most 5vers and TT's being pulled by pickups and diesels using conventional hitches as the wind in Georgia and Florida was crazy but my HA allowed me to hit 80 all the way thru! Nosway, No issues.....

I doubt very much the reason you were able to pass 5ers was because of the wind making them sway. The HA is an excellent hitch, but the reason you were passing them is because they were driving sensible and doing the speed limit. You were way over the speed rating of your trailer tires.
I suggest you read what's written on the sidewall of your trailer tires, and then say a prayer of thanks you didn't kill yourself, your passengers, and maybe some other innocent people out there.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
Quote:

I doubt very much the reason you were able to pass 5ers was because of the wind making them sway. The HA is an excellent hitch, but the reason you were passing them is because they were driving sensible and doing the speed limit. You were way over the speed rating of your trailer tires.
I suggest you read what's written on the sidewall of your trailer tires, and then say a prayer of thanks you didn't kill yourself, your passengers, and maybe some other innocent people out there.

X2 Your driving style is inappropiate and unsafe. You are taking risks at that speed. Slow it down you will also save fuel
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Wow!, my first scolding...

Duly noted.

Side note: Most of the 5vers were at the 75 mph mark themselves.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:00 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

As others stated 80 is risking blow out. Actually I used to tow my 7000 lb tt with an armada and coulnt make 60 without issues. I was always exhausted towing with it. Towing is much more relaxing with the f250 and pushing for time. Stopping every 2 hrs helps with the little one. As for the expenses, our fuel bill is probably gonna be around $500 due to the price of diesel.a little money saving tip rent your golf cart off site. I got a four seater for $214 for the week (I only know of 2 companies that can deliver inside the fort). Also if you haven't already join www.fortfiends.net. they will give you all kinds of good advice and tricks like that at the fort. Now here is the real question, was the trip worth it once you were down there?

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:

Wow!, my first scolding...
Â*
Duly noted.
Â*
Side note: Most of the 5vers were at the 75 mph mark themselves.
I could have been one of the 5ers you passed, toodling along at 63mph, but I wasn't. Cruise control set and enjoying the scenery.

I can understand now why you didn't enjoy your white knuckle trip.

Sure you can get it hauled down there, figure on $3/mile.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I am on the fence with worth it or not. I spent last year there in a cabin and bought my current trailer just for this purpose as I thought the trailer would cost much less to vacation there. Tallying up the receipts I would have spent about a thousand less renting the cabin but since I had 7 people with me I would have needed 2 cabins. Getting back to the 80 MPH point, I of course was not doing 80 for any extended period of time and was able to hit 80 to pass when needed and was very surprised to find it felt as if there was no trailer in tow at times. I averaged about 70 most of the trip and inspected the tires, axles, hitch, hitch bolts, etc. every stop. My Eazlift hitch would not let me get up to 50 without major sway and whit knuckles. I also adjusted my tire pressure to get the best ride without bouncing. I did find that the dealer had the tire pressure at 70 lbs on every tire which accounted for the bouncing I was experiencing earlier on other trips local. The trailer states 50 lbs. If I decide to go again next year it will only be with 4 people instead of 7 and I will have much less weight. If anyone does this trip from Jersey I would suggest the RV Resort at Crossroads in NC. This RV park was great! very clean, very friendly and VERY reasonable. I have some great aerial video I took with my AR Drone while there. Stoppingthere let us sleep overnight and get a good head start in the early hours of the morning. You can order from a variety of places for food and there are many places to go sit down to eat.

FYI: when in Florida, DO NOT eat at the Ponderosa on 192. The steak was good but the rest of the food was horrible. I have over a thousandphotos to go thru yet.....