Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

New Owner - UTV side by side issues

I posted this in the wrong place and am adding it here where it belongs.

We did our research and read through the thread on the Z-1 and tongue weight.

Still thought we'd be OK.

We had to buy through Camping World in CO but did all the sales stuff here in AZ. Those people don't talk to each other much. What a hassle. Still waiting for warranty and the title! Not good that we couldn't see it in person.

And now, come to find out, the measurements are not quite as stated. The deck is supposed to be 8 feet across and from what we had seen online it sure seemed that the LandMaster 400 side by side would fit. We measured that, too.

It kind of does. The rails have to be pushed out about an inch on each side when we drive it up the ramps. Now the rails are pulling from the deck on the few spot welds.

This was one trial run out in the desert and driving the side by side up and down only a couple of times.

We need to get work done on it to safely load and unload the side by side.

We are stuck with it, however, really do like the unit and it hauls nicely.

The reason for the Z-1 front deck is because I didn't want the UTV inside either the living compartment or in a 'garage' in the back.

Has anyone run into a similar situation?
Thanks

AuntFrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:19 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

We bought one in the spring for the same reason. No gas smells. Sounds like it fits on there anyway. Maybe just strap it down good and leave rails off, or weld another lip to the outside of where the rails currently fit. That would give you an extra 4 inches easily I bet.

Granted we have the 218TD but I am sure decks are the same.
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:00 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
We bought one in the spring for the same reason. No gas smells. Sounds like it fits on there anyway. Maybe just strap it down good and leave rails off, or weld another lip to the outside of where the rails currently fit. That would give you an extra 4 inches easily I bet.

Granted we have the 218TD but I am sure decks are the same.
My husband was talking to a couple of his friends this afternoon and they essentially came up with the same idea to weld another lip.

Then, they thought about adding airbags and heavy duty shocks to help the suspension.

I think he gets it tied down pretty well, but the comfort level [for me] having the rails there is better.

Also, did you notice that the lip where the rails are inserted doesn't go back as close to the 'house' as you'd expect? We were hoping to get the UTV as close to the trailer axles as possible in order to get the weight off the tongue. Maybe with the change to the welded lip, they could bring it back further.

Even though I knew that the UTV would be driven up those narrow ramps, I hadn't envisioned watching him go up one side and being extra careful not to go off the other side while staying exactly on course with those fat tires.

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:24 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Have you done any weights of that thing? Mine is pretty tongue heavy by the time I am loaded. What is your Tundra(if that what you tow with) rated for as far as payload and hitch weight?
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Yes, we do tow with the Tundra. One review: "5.7-liter, eight-cylinder engine (up to 10,400 lbs)". However, the manual says it is 10,600 with towing package which we have. We have a weight distribution system.

We bought the truck new in 2009 specifically to tow a HiLo knowing the HiLo was a bit heavier than newer travel trailers. The more I read, the happier I am that we got that Tundra.

Haven't gotten to the scales, yet. Will have to find out if there are any sort of nearby. Nothing is nearby except the desert. Maybe on the way to Camping World when they figure out why the awning arm isn't flush on the right side.

This is the UTV we are hauling is a Landmaster 400 by American Sport Works.

We bought a cargo carrier for gasoline, etc for the "Little Mule". I'm thinking that might be a good place to put the generator [98 lbs] instead of on the front deck so close to the truck hitch. Haul Master 300 lb Cap ATV 4 wheeler Cargo Carrier 2" in hitch. But, that would mean attaching a receiver to the Z-1 to mount it. The carrier would still be usable on either the Z-1 or the Little Mule.

Our mechanic/welder/do-it-all friend is here now, so we'll see what he thinks about all of these ideas.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
Site Team

This off topic of your situation, but would like to share it with you.

We just spent 25 days north of here with the camper and we were grouse hunting. The park we were in has access to the ATV trails.
There was a group pulled in from Iowa with a Rubicon and one UTV in the garage. The tv was a long box Chevy diesel.
He had two ATV's loaded cross ways on top of the box. That was quite a sight. He said he had 11 ft. ramps for loading and unloading.
Wish I had taken a picture.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:20 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks for sharing.
Yes, that would have been some picture.
A picture worth a 1000 words or representing 1000s of pounds.