Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 07:49 AM   #1
New Camper

Water leak & spongy floors

I have a 2012, Z-1 251-BH. It is been a great trailer with no issue to this point. I have recently noticed a soft spot just below the window in the bedroom. In a short period of time, the spot has gotten worse spread into the storage compartment. It seems to be hugging the wall and does not go that deep into the center of the camper.

Right now, I have a tarp over the trailer to prevent any further water intrusion. I am taking it to a RV shop in a few weeks to identify the source of the leak. Hopefully it will be something less than the entire roof.

When it comes to repairing the rotting subfloor, I will likely take that on myself. I am going to pull up the vaynal floor to let it begin drying while I wait for my service appointment.

My questions:
-Has anyone experienced any similar issue and what was the source of the leak?
-Am I crazy for thinking I can replace the subfloor myself?

I believe I will also submit an insurance claim, but I am not very hopeful they will cover.
bwharper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #2
Site Team

I don't think you will have much luck with the insurance, but it doesn't hurt to try.
Here is a link to another member that replaced part of his floor.

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...pot-11707.html
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:13 AM   #3
New Camper

I have a soft spot growing from the same place. But mine is not from a leak in the roof or walls. I only notice wetness when my pump is turned on and my water system is pressurized. I believe there is a water line that travels under the floor in my 32ft zinger quad bunk.
32zingerQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

You may be able to repair the floor from underneath. I would remove the underbelly and cut back the material and take a look.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Just so you understand, the exterior walls sit on the vinyl and plywood floor. So if the plywood is rotted, you will have to remove it and check the wall bottom plate. For a leak from below, the wall should be undamaged. But a roof, wall or window leak will likely rot wall studs if they are wood. Anyway, to be successful all of the damaged wood must be removed and then it will be very tricky to insert new plywood between the bottom of the wall and the floor joists. Then add extra framing under the new plywood at all edges to support it.

Also, the floor is bolted to the steel frame with bolts directly under the wall. About every 36 to 48 inches. Locations can be identified by the steel outriggers extending from the main frame rails and the end of each bolt will be visible. If the rotted plywood is in the area of one of the bolts, you will need to cut close to the bolt and chisel out the rest of the remaining plywood. Also, loosen the nut and notch the replacement plywood.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #6
New Camper

I have similar problems with my 2014 301-bh. But my leak appears to be from the front corner trim on both sides. It appears the factory installed tape gasket had pulled away from the metal siding.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote