Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

1st Week & 1st Trip w/the 2016 Nissan Titan XD

I have had my Nissan Titan XD Diesel for 8 days now, and we towed with it on our first trip this past weekend, so I thought I would share my initial thoughts on this truck.

I got the SV trim level with both the comfort and convenience package, and the utility package. This combination got me a pretty well appointed truck, with a diesel, for under $50K. The other reason I went with the SV over the Pro-4X, SL or Platinum trim levels is weight. The additional standard features found in those trim levels are nice, but they add a LOT of weight to the truck. The higher trim levels are adding 400 – 500 extra pounds with no additional payload capacity. According to the scale at my local Flying J, my XD has a curb weight of 7,068 giving me a payload capacity of 1,922 pounds. My XD is rated to tow 12,300 lbs.

The Cummins factor – the engineers at Cummins deserve high praise for this engine. First thing you notice when you start the truck is how quiet the engine is. No diesel knock, no clatter, no noxious fumes, just smooth, quiet idling. I have been around gas fired V-8’s that made more noise. The motor does not have very high horsepower numbers, but the torque is ridiculous. The power band comes in strong around 1500 RPM and stays through 3,000, if you can even get to 3,000 (more on that later).

Ride comfort – this truck is big and heavy, and you feel it. The ride is much smoother and much more comfortable than any ¾ ton I have ever driven or rode in, but it is a little harsher than a standard ½ ton. The seats are very comfortable with 8 way adjustability, plus lumbar support adjustments. All dash mounted audio and A/C controls are an easy reach and they are easy to see and find. Some of the audio control buttons seem a little small. They are fine right now, but I will be interested to see how easy they are to operate in the winter when I am wearing gloves. The large standard tow mirrors and lots of glass make visibility good. The blindspot warning indicator is nice to have too.

Daily driving – This truck is not a grocery getter. Short, quick trips around town where the speed limit is 35 and below just aren’t what this truck is built for. On these little trips the Aisin transmission seems to shift prematurely, up-shifting at around 1800 RPM, and when you are slowing down it wants to down shift too often. It just feels kind of jerky. The last couple of days I am adjusting the way I am driving and this seems to be helping, so we will see. This truck IS a hauler. My daily commute for work is 46 miles each way, and 44 of those miles is interstate highway. I am doing 70 miles an hour and the tach is barely reaching 1300 RPM. The highway ride is quiet all the way around, i.e. no engine noise, no wind noise, and sadly, almost no turbo noise. Because I am traveling so many wide open interstate miles, my gas mileage is going to be a little skewed, but I am averaging nearly 24 MPG.

Our first tow – This is what the Titan XD was built for. Nissan put a lot of thought and effort into designing and building a truck that specializes in pulling big trailers, and that is evidenced from the minute you start to hook up, until you park the trailer again. The back-up camera is one of the best I have ever had on a truck. The predictive course feature, the blue centerline guideline, and the clarity of the camera make hitching up alone (which I often do when I am picking the trailer up from the storage yard) an absolute breeze. Once you are hitched up, take your key fob around to the back of the trailer, push and hold the lock button for 3-5 seconds, and the truck automatically starts a light check sequence. The running lights turn on, left turn signal, right turn signal, brake lights and then off. The integrated brake controller is mounted in the dash just below the A/C controls and adjusting the controller is a breeze. This is the first truck I have owned with a factory installed controller and I was a little leary, but it worked great. Towing was an absolute pleasure. We had tons of available power and torque to make passes when needed, the truck's built in sway control kicked in a couple times around big rigs that were kicking up turbulence and kept the trailer planted directly behind us, when it was necessary to brake, the huge 14+” disc brakes kept everything well in control, the visibility was fantastic, but the absolute best part was the fuel mileage. We went from St. Charles, MO to Rend Lake in Illinois (approximately 144 miles each way). This trip is a fairly flat drive, all interstate, with posted speed limits varying from 55 to 70 miles per hour. We drove the posted speed limits the entire trip. Our trailer, fully loaded, weighs in at 8,846 lbs, so we are well below the max tow capacity of the XD. We averaged 12.6 miles to the gallon on this trip, and I think we can improve on that by not stomping on the gas to make some of the passes we made.

Final thoughts – so, did Nissan hit a grand slam and build the perfect truck? No. They are trying to create an entirely new market segment that may not even need to be made. There are several folks on this site that subscribe to the adage “just because you can, doesn’t necessarily mean you should.” Should you haul a 9,000 pound trailer with a vehicle that has a GVWR of 7,000 lbs even though it is rated to tow 12,000? I don't know. I know I hauled this same trailer with a standard duty Nissan Titan that had a GVWR of 7200 lbs, and tow capacity of 9,300, and I got pissy when people would tell me I had too much trailer for that truck. Now that I have towed the same trailer with a heavier truck, I understand what they were saying. It definitely felt much more stable and was much more comfortable to drive. I would like to see Nissan try to shave a few hundred pounds out of the curb weight to give the truck a larger payload capacity, but I am afraid where they might decide to try to cut the weight from.

There currently isn’t any other truck on the market you can really compare this one to. It is not built to compete with the super duty’s, so any comparisons to them is unfair. The only truck that comes close to it in towing, and beats it in payload, is the F-150 with ecoboost and max tow package, but when I shopped those, in order to get the same comfort and convenience items, the sales price was well over $50K. With the Titan I got a diesel, with better gas mileage and all of the other benefits associated with it, in an extremely comfortable, accessory laden truck for less than $50K.

So far, I really like it, and I guess in the grand scheme of things, all any of us want is a truck that makes us happy and for me, this truck does just that.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:24 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Nice, thorough review. It sounds like the truck is doing what you expected and maybe just a bit more.
Is it the old 5.9 cu in displacement Cummins or the same product in the 6.7 Rams?
Glad it's working at a price that fits your wallet.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Excellent analogy. I'm glad you are happy with it
Old 05-10-2016, 07:06 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
Nice, thorough review. It sounds like the truck is doing what you expected and maybe just a bit more.
Is it the old 5.9 cu in displacement Cummins or the same product in the 6.7 Rams?
Glad it's working at a price that fits your wallet.
The Cummins a brand new, 5.0L, turbo V-8. Cummins began the design and development of the engine for Dodge, but when the market crashed, and the auto makers took the bailout money, Dodge backed out.

Cummins already had a ton of design and development time in the engine, so they went ahead and continued working on it even though there was no home for it at the time.

Nissan learned about this fully developed engine plan that Cummins had sitting on it's shelves and reached out to them and entered into an agreement to put it in the XD.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I currently drive a original Titan and would love to upgrade.

Maybe one day....
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
Gone Traveling

Isn't it the same motor in the new Dodge 1/2 tons.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Isn't it the same motor in the new Dodge 1/2 tons.
No, it isn't.

The Dodge 1/2 ton is using a 3.0L, V-6 made by an Italian engine company owned by Fiat.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:37 PM   #8
Site Team

Cfun. Glad you are satisfied with your new truck. Best of luck with it and thanks for the great write up.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

New truck

Thanks for your very detailed report..
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bowler304
Great write up and I too drove the XD but had different findings. I only drove it for about an hour but this was around town and mileage for me was around 12~14 without a trailer. Not sure the difference but this was the fully loaded Platinum truck so payload was only 1361 lbs.

I also didn't like the hood shake going down the road, I actually thought the hood was not closed on this truck but it was closed.

Overall Nissan has done a great job but this truck wasn't for me. The interior is top notch and I really loved the seats and leather felt amazing. I loved the 360 view cameras but wished the screen was bigger. I really loved all the cool hiding spaces in the bed for beer, tools, and other stuff. I love the look of the truck as well, I think they did a fantastic job.

That Cummins was an amazing engine and I was instantly in love with it! I didn't fell any hunting with hears either, the truck did a great job of choosing the correct gear and responded well when I hit the gas.

I really wished I liked it more cause a F250 won't fit in my garage but this would and would give me the diesel I'm after. Anyway I am jealous you have a beautiful truck, congrats!
Tow Vehicle - 2017 F250 Platinum 6.2 4:30 gear
Travel Trailer - Sunset Trail Super Lite ST290QB
Color : Enzo
Dry Weight 5,774 - Actual weight 6,767
Bowler304 is offline   Reply With Quote