Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #1
New Camper

2018 Zinger 18RD towing question

Hello Everyone, First-time trailer owner here. We have tent camped for years and decided we are too old to sleep on the ground any longer. Our tow vehicle is a 2011 Santa Fe with V6 and tow package. Trailer is close to our max tow weight. We have a load equalizer hitch with sway control. Just picked it up from the dealer Saturday. Here's my question: The ride when towing seems to be very choppy and it feels as if there is an ongoing push-pull between the trailer and suv. Are there adjustments we can make to the load equalizer to resolve this issue? Thanks everyone!
2018 Zinger 18RD
CamperNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

2018 Zinger 18RD towing question

You’ll get some advice here to adjust your hitch however the reality is you got too much trailer for that vehicle. You’re most likely over the max on tongue capacity that’s causing the push.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Also you have P rated tires, too much side flex look into getting LT tires
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:07 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Single axle trailers that size will also do that.

2013 Zinger ZT260BH towed with a 2013 Silverado Z71 1500 CC 5.3 4wd.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
New Camper

AirRide System

I would agree the tongue weight is probably the issue. I have a 1500 and even with 800# (max payload is 1500# +) on the tongue you can get the push/pull on bumpy roads.

One way to see is to measure the street to the top middle of the wheel well without and then with. If it drops 1” or more you enter that area where you will see handling issues.

We added airbags to the rear coils. Not very expensive and easy do it yourself job. You air them up when you tow and deflate when not (otherwise it rises rough).

Looks like they make them for your Santa Fe too:

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/PC/19160-03619839.html?utm_content=PN&utm_term=2007-2016+Hyundai+Santa+Fe+Air+Lift+Leveling+Kit+Firest one+Ride-Rite+4170+Rear+07-16+Hyundai+Air+Lift+Leveling+Kit+2009+2008&fp=pp&g bm=a&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign= PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=CjwKCAjw7IbaBRBqEiwA6A yZgrMxqZxInxLbAQaa3vt3XeRXp25n8USXz2FW_1hBbQAOweGV jZUBthoCT7MQAvD_BwE&ad=47433949572

A google search might yield better prices or buying options.

Best of luck!
Desert_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:52 AM   #6
New Camper

"Our tow vehicle is a 2011 Santa Fe with V6 and tow package. Trailer is close to our max tow weight."

Your post does not indicate if the "close weight" is the trailer weight empty or its capacity. If the weight is near capacity empty then you are not only going to have towing issues when you pack it, you are going to have vehicle issues as well. Remember that the total towing weight will include the camper, its supplies, you and any occupants and whatever you add to the vehicle.
WeymanFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:34 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

To add

Stated tow ratings only include the driver (I think 150lbs) and empty vehicle.

I’d bet the farm your exceeding your GVWR.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

From doing some Google searches It seems like your Sante Fe is only rated to tow 3500, and 350 hitch weight not sure if that rating changes with the use of a Weight distribution/sway control hitch or not. That Zinger has a dry weight of around 3100 and around a 400lbs dry hitch weight.

It really sounds like you are over taxing that Santa Fe. As someone else had stated you can get some helper airbags in the rear suspension but you should really not use those to compensate for an already overloaded suspension (If that is indeed the case). I installed those on my Nissan Frontier when I was towing my old Hybrid Rig, it was VERY easy to install and made a world of difference when towing. The rear end rode perfectly level, I didn't get alot of bounce when hitting bumps and I felt it really helped me maintain speed when going up steep hills.

As someone else mentioned, single axle trailers are prone to a little more back and forth wiggle so you might be feeling the effects of that as well.

What type of tires do you have? If you have those larger marshmallow like truck tires, that will allow your vehicle to move back and forth a bit and you will absolutely feel that when towing. They do make stiffer tires rated to tow that help with that sway.

Do you have a brake controller? have you checked your configuration? when I got my new trailer apparently the controller was set much higher than it needed to be, so when I applied the brakes the trailer would brake MUCH harder than it had to and pull my SUV back. When releasing the brakes it would release very quickly and I would feel my SUV lurch forward a bit. So double check that.

PLEASE PLEASE Be very cautious about towing with a vehicle that is beyond it's capabilities, There are some real horror stories people have had told me, from not stopping in time to almost tipping over. I used to tow a 1800lbs Pop-up with a Kia sportage and I KNOW firsthand those Kia's/Hyundai's can tow more than they say they can but still, just be cautious.

If your searching for a comparable replacement tow vehicle, check into the Nissan Pathfinders or Frontiers, those things are just pure beasts when they tow! I used to tow a 24 foot Hybrid with a Frontier and now I tow a 30ft with an Armada and It blows my mind how much power they put out.
priest6479 is offline   Reply With Quote