Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #1
New Camper

2019 3901WB Tow Vehicle and 3901WB opinions

Aloha, I am new here and wanted to say Happy Easter to All! I just put a deposit on a 2019 Redwood 3901WB. I hope the quality of these is there. I had to make a punch list with the dealer on this unit. There was a missing controller for the message chair, a trim piece missing on upper panel in the basement. Sleeper sofa looks uneven. Spice racks were off guides completely and the cabinet would not close. Amongst other things, should I be concerned? I am wondering if my 2020 GMC 3500HD standard box SRW can pull and control this beast? The GMC truck payload is 3,714 lbs. Redwood lists hitch weight at 2,412 lbs. Add 700 for passengers and cargo and you are at 3112 lbs. Approximately 16% under payload capacity. The Combined weight rating for trailer and vehicle is 29,700 lbs for the 2020 GMC 3500HD Denali SRW. Dry weight of trailer is 14,326 and Trailer Gross weight is 17,900 lbs. It also has the towing package for Fifth Wheel. Truck and trailer combined are pretty close to the 29,700 if fully loaded. Any input/advice on this truck for the 2019 3901WB? I have been looking at dually's, but don't want to jump the gun and trade for dually if not necessary, but definitely want to be safe. Thanks in advance for any insights! Chris
chrisderby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Chris. Welcome aboard.

From what I have read over on the Redwood forum, most of them advocate having a drw. for just about any RW. Then you run into some that claim they are satisfied with the srw.

You might want to look at the tires on your truck and see what they are rated for. My guess would be you might be close to max. if not over.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:21 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:52 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisderby View Post
Aloha, I am new here and wanted to say Happy Easter to All! I just put a deposit on a 2019 Redwood 3901WB. I hope the quality of these is there. I had to make a punch list with the dealer on this unit. There was a missing controller for the message chair, a trim piece missing on upper panel in the basement. Sleeper sofa looks uneven. Spice racks were off guides completely and the cabinet would not close. Amongst other things, should I be concerned? I am wondering if my 2020 GMC 3500HD standard box SRW can pull and control this beast? The GMC truck payload is 3,714 lbs. Redwood lists hitch weight at 2,412 lbs. Add 700 for passengers and cargo and you are at 3112 lbs. Approximately 16% under payload capacity. The Combined weight rating for trailer and vehicle is 29,700 lbs for the 2020 GMC 3500HD Denali SRW. Dry weight of trailer is 14,326 and Trailer Gross weight is 17,900 lbs. It also has the towing package for Fifth Wheel. Truck and trailer combined are pretty close to the 29,700 if fully loaded. Any input/advice on this truck for the 2019 3901WB? I have been looking at dually's, but don't want to jump the gun and trade for dually if not necessary, but definitely want to be safe. Thanks in advance for any insights! Chris
Chris
Take 20% of the gvw of 17900 and you will be at closer in getting your pin weight. The WB and MB are are dually territory. Redwoods dry pin weight is with no add ons whatsoever eg. Propane bottles, batteries, water etc. My RL was 900lb heavier than stated dry weight when I weighed it prior to loading. I had a new 3500srw and was over on tires and rear axle. Didn't want a dually but to me had no choice
Old 04-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

So I need a truck that’s rated to pull twice as much as my camper weighs? Dang I’m doing it wrong, oh well
Old 04-17-2020, 03:56 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty glampers View Post
So I need a truck that’s rated to pull twice as much as my camper weighs? Dang I’m doing it wrong, oh well
Your alive
Long time no see
Old 04-17-2020, 05:05 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
Your alive
Long time no see
Hey Shane, yeah man been working 7 days a week, people want them Supeduty’s. We’ve been down for a month now so getting caught up around the house. How’s it going with you?
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:50 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty glampers View Post
Hey Shane, yeah man been working 7 days a week, people want them Supeduty’s. We’ve been down for a month now so getting caught up around the house. How’s it going with you?
Still busy working and sticking around the house being everything is shut down. All out of honey does so using my imagination to find things to keep occupied when home from work. We have a place in Arizona so have been back and forth from Cali to there in spare time. Stay safe.
Good to hear from you
Sorry for high jacking the thread