Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2020, 08:43 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question 2020 - db33

Good Morning,
Trying to find a definitive answer on adding a bikerack/hitch to the rear bumper.
I plan on removing the spare tire to compensate for some of the weight, but I am unclear if the bumper is designed to hold this load, or if additional support weldings may be needed.
Anyone have iput?
Txs.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #2
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
Good Morning,
Trying to find a definitive answer on adding a bikerack/hitch to the rear bumper.
I plan on removing the spare tire to compensate for some of the weight, but I am unclear if the bumper is designed to hold this load, or if additional support weldings may be needed.
Anyone have iput?
Txs.
The simple answer is NO!
In all likelihood that spare mounted to it is already too much weight on that flimsy thin wall bumper.
They were designed to be sewer hose storage & don't work very well for that, once rusted inside it'll rub holes in the hose.
Your best safest solution is get a hitch bolted or welded to the frame, if you want whatever's back there to arrive when you do.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:34 AM   #3
Site Team

This is a product that some members have use for added support. Seems like it should do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Product...-1063449256472

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
This is a product that some members have use for added support. Seems like it should do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Product...-1063449256472
I've looked at those up close & to me, again only MY opinion that I must be cautious expressing, they appear to reinforce the welds holding the bumper to the frame which is the strong point already. They do nothing, that I can see, to reinforce the center section of the bumper where the weight of a hitch would be bouncing up & down on that thin metal.
If there are folks using these & having good success then I have no problems with them proving me to be wrong, won't be the 1st time nor last.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:04 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

https://youtu.be/W7Ys33KTxHg I use the Mount-n-Lock SafetyStruts and also use the Mount-n-Lock 2” receiver. I am a fan. I carry a beach cart with a couple empty coolers and carry a kayak vertical strapped to the ladder. It’s supposed to increase your rear bumper to carry 400 Lbs. Would I carry that much? No! But for what I carry it works well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BCBF5E51-2D90-4E49-BBB7-CD046D8226CD.jpg (241.0 KB, 13 views)

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:27 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I am not even comfortable have the spare tire bouncing on that flimsy bumper. I had a receiver hitch fabricated and welded directly to the frame. I would trust nothing less.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:24 PM   #7
Site Team

I wonder if anyone ever did a strength test on a bumper. Would be interesting to see what the numbers are.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:20 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Okay, I have to add some info. We had a Palomino Puma, 28ft that had a standard bumper with only one weld line to the frame. On that we added two C-track channels welded to frame and underneath bumper. Held 2 adult and 2 kids bikes.

Our next rig was a Heartland Mallard with continously welded bumper, removed spare tire holder and added a simple 2" hitch bracket to the bumper only. Again held 2 adult and 2 kids bikes with no issues, even on long trips.

My question is specific to the make model we have now.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:08 PM   #9
Site Team

If you have concerns about your model check with the dealer and see what they recommend.Being 2020 there should be some warranty left so to avoid a possible denial on a claim follow there recommendations. But if out of warranty i would error on the side of caution and go with a welded hitch. Better to have more that you need than need more than you have.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

My Crossroads had a standard 4 inch square steel bumper with spare tire and a factory installed BBQ fold out mechanism mounted to it. At 4 years old, I found my black water pipe stored in the bumper would not come out. Checking closer the bumper and spare were leaning out from the trailer, the welds holding the bumper to the frame had fractured from the factory loads. My bumper was butt welded to the frame ends. Welding causes metal embrittlement, small fractures then breaks under the torsional loads. My fix was to add 1/4 inch thick 2" X 2" angle brackets to the frame ends after I cut off the old broken bumper. My new bumper is held in place by 4 U bolts that go into the angle bracket.

These bumpers are thin material, can't really take much torsion and the cheap way they are mounted can lead to problems if you add torsional loads. Hope this helps.
grtblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:27 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Yes I agree, everyone has good advice and good intentions based on knowledge and experience. I think from what I’ve always been told. Welding a receiver to your unit might void the warranty if there is any. So, call your dealership and see what they say. If they say it won’t void your warranty! Try to get that in writing. You won’t be able to but you can try. So, like was said you need to decide what you plan to carry and decide what’s best for you.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:44 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

YES you can do it and you do NOT need to weld anything at all. I reinforced my bumper with 2" angle iron and 4" bumper u bolts. I have my generator on an aluminum cargo carrier, total weight is 152 lbs on the bumper. I have driven over 10,000 miles in the past 3 months and it is rock solid. I have checked and rechecked welds and all is good. The key to the whole thing is the receiver hitch anti rattle u-bolt. Don't let others scare you, it can be done and done safely.

2018 Sunset Trail SS262BH with 72 mods
2019 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 SRW SB
6.7 HO, Aisin trans
CobaltPaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #13
Site Team

Ultimately you do what works for you. But as someone who has had to dodge a bumper with a generator rolling down the highway and the driver had no clue till the Highway Patrol pulled him over .Luckily we got around it bit the little car behind us was not so lucky.

I have a receiver welded to my camper and had one on the 2 before this. What i carry weighs a little over 350# and would never trust the bumper mounts.

Better to have more than you need than need more that you have!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bikerack, hitch