Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Does anyone out there have the type of hitch that automatically moves itself back when the trailer is turned? If you do, do you find it convenient enough that you would pay the extra for this type of hitch again? I've been looking at an 18K unit, which is a bit heavy for the 5er we are purchasing. However, being new to RVing we may step up to a larger 5er in the future. Any recommendations as to a brand name hitch? (Reese etc.) What about the type that pivot side-to-side in addition fore-and-aft. Can you get all of these features in one hitch?

Thanks,

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Gary, I don't have any experience with the auto hitch but mine has a four way pivot and I like it. I occasionally go over some angled ruts/berms when visiting relatives and the pivoting action really comes into play. I also believe it takes bumps in the road/speed bumps much smoother. Good luck with your choice.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:56 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I have a long bed so a auto slider is not needed, however I have a close friend that purchased his first 5th wheel and truck 5 years ago. He bought a crew cab Chevy with a short bed. He also purchased a PullRite auto slider and he would not give it up for the world. They have a 28 ft Cruiser and love to go to Estes Park area of Colorado. He has stated many times that without a slider he could not have accessed some of the campsites they like.

I know three folks that have the PullRite and all would not do without.

Can you get by without a slider? Probably. Can you get buy with a manual slider? Sure. But ask yourself what the cost to repair the cab and front of the fiver is you screw up just once!! Think of the time you might be trying to get into a tight sight, after dark, in the rain, and in a bit of a hurry. It will happen in a heartbeat in spite of all your good intentions to pay attention.

Good luck with your decision that only you can make.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I don't know if the auto slider has side-to-side tilt, but another option is to get a simple fixed hitch with side tilt and a Sidewinder pinbox. The Sidewinder allows full 90 degree cab to fiver angle because it moves the pivot point behind the axle while keeping the pin weight over the axle. It also helps with faster response when backing up, something that an auto slider cannot accomplish. Also, easy hookup at any angle. Less weight, less maintenance and maybe a little less total cost. Just another option.

When I first started with a short bed, there were no manual or auto sliders, no side tilt, no Sidewinder and no notched front cap designs. The only solution available was an extended pin box that provided about 65 degrees max. angle. Worked fine for 11 yrs. Now have a manual slider that I have used twice, last time was in 2005. 65 degrees should be fine most of the time, if not, then careful jockying back and forth a few extra times can solve the really tight problems.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I can attest to the Sidewinder pinbox as our trailer came with one form the factory. I have a LWB truck so I have no worries about hitting the truck but I have to say the Sidewinder was a bit of a surprise to me once we made a trip or two. I can back and turn the trailer like a bumper pull plus being able to hook up at all different angles if need be. Plus it is nice to be able to turn the hitch under the front of the trailer when unhooked so no one runs into it. I do know after towing with it if I ever owned a SWB truck I would go with the Sidewinder pinbox over a slider hitch. You would just have to price them out to see how they compare to a slider hitch.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:16 AM   #6
jeb
Family Vacation Member

If you have a short-bed truck, a slider will be of value to you.

The "auto-slider" you may be thinking of is the Superglide hitch mfg and sold by Pull Rite. I own the 18K variant of this hitch and I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Yes, it has the 4-way tilt.

If you don't mind getting out in the rain to operate a manual slider when you need to maneuver somewhere, this hitch may not be for you. However, if you are like me, one who melts in the rain, or just plain forgets to slide that big thing that been following you for miles, you should consider the Superglide.

http://www.pullrite.com/superglide.htm

I'll have an 18K SuperGlide for sale in a few weeks so if you can wait, I'll give you a hell of a good deal on it. Shipping from Louisiana will be expensive but you'll still save money. Lemme know if you're interested.

Watch the video.

Edited by: jeb

2008 Chevy 2500 with Duramax/Allison

1 wife

3 cats

and a family of racoons.
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I have an 18K Reese manual slider and I use it a lot. It works well but it takes up a lot of room in the bed of my truck. When I got it they didn't have the sidewinder pinbox or I didn't know about it if it was available. If I was starting over I would go with the sidewinder pinbox with a standard hitch as Dayle suggested. I thinkit's cheaper than the Pullrite and accomplishes the same task.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I have the 30sk. My bed is 6.5'. I would have hit my cab making a sharp turn. I had the dealership install a sidewinder and have been pleased.
outback_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Gary, I have the PullRite SuperGlide 16K installed and would do it again without hesitation. When we first talked about getting a 5er, I was pretty sure I wanted a slider. Not that we have a bed length problem but it just looked like a good idea. It does do the 4 way tilt like you were looking for. Info on that hitch is at http://www.pullrite.com/superglide.htm

There are a couple of things you need to know about that particular hitch.
1) You have to be aligned straight in to get it to hitch properly (16° off center each way is the limit.
2) Under no condition do you go more than 90° on a turn (things break at that point - not done it yet but I do watch).
3) Most dealers are a bit interesting to watch when they try to move it on their tractor, fork truck, etc. Crossroads factory removes the Supergilde plate and then reinstalls rather than bend it.

All that said, I'd do it again with no qualms.

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote