Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hi guys Im looking at 5th wheel hitches. I I have the rails in my truck so thought I would like to get a hitch that will fit in them. I think the B&W is a great hitch but I dont want to change the mounting and i dont want to spend $1400 so I found the Q5 20K by curt.

http://www.thehitchstore.com/20k-q5-...ch-p-1330.html

I even bought 1 that im going to install in my friends truck and have it here at my house it looks good.

is any one useing one and if so can I get some feedback.

thanks Dave
diesel dave 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Dave, Hal (HEH458) had one and sold it today. I will text him and get him to give you his opinion of his.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I'm in the same position as you are. We just purchased our first 5er and I need a hitch for spring. I think its important to stick with a name brand like curt or the one I'm leaning towards is Husky. I'm sure the selection is a little different here in Canada but Husky has nice ones: http://www.huskytow.com/FTP/PDF/H-1-B_HITCH.pdf
The one with the 10 yr warranty is nice, but probably reflected in the price tag too. Not sure if its worth the extra $$; I've never really heard of any issues with 5th wheel hitches as they get older.
But definitely stay away from the no name China hitches... I'm sure they carry the same reputation as their tires...

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Dave, I did have a Curt Q5 20K hitch that I sold today. Going with an air hitch. The Curt was a well made hitch and it has a positive locking mechanism. Once the jaws are locked, you drop a locking device into the latchnig arm that keeps it locked in place until you open the locking device up. I never had any issues with itand ithas a 10 year warranty.
HEH458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I have a Q5 and would buy another in a minute. The original hitch I had installed had a very small hole in the base casting. I contacted Curt and was told that the hole would not be an issue but if I wanted a new hitch it would be sent. They sent the new hitch to me at no charge. The comments about the positive locking mechanism are a fact. Look at the other 20k hitches and look at the Curt. They look like toys in comparison.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

well It sounds like the people that have or had them are happy with them.

Happycampers, I will be removing a husky hitch from my friends truck to install his curt Q5. I dont know what the shipping would be but I will be seling it cheep.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Well I don't want anyone's scrap metal......Besides, the shipping is probably worth more than the hitch itself
Maybe I should follow suit with the Curt. My brother used to work at an RV place and I think next week I'm going to see his old boss for a price on a Curt. He was going to get me the husky for cost (cash, of course!) because thats what he mostly deals with, not sure what he can do for the curt.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

the best i got was $535 on a Q5 shipped to my door.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

was that for the head only or the rails and mount kit too?

My brother just told me that when he worked at the rv place they installed more huskys than curts 10 to 1.
Not sure why that is....

Old 02-06-2011, 02:04 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Everything, Im removing it from his 05 F-350 and installing the Curt rails and the 20 k curt.

I think that Husky has been around longer and that is why he did 10-1 just like Reese it is just the name that has been around for ever.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:09 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEH458
Dave, I did have a Curt Q5 20K hitch that I sold today. Going with an air hitch. The Curt was a well made hitch and it has a positive locking mechanism. Once the jaws are locked, you drop a locking device into the latchnig arm that keeps it locked in place until you open the locking device up. I never had any issues with itand ithas a 10 year warranty.
Did you get any bucking or hitching from it?

I have the trail air pin box on my unit. so it soaks up some of the bumps, But my hidden hitch 18K has got some play front to back and Im getting a lot of bucking from it.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:29 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

On really bad roads I did. That's the reason I'm going to the air hitch. Also IMO, I think anything that can be done to soften the shock/stress to the rv when towing, is a good thing.
HEH458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:48 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEH458
On really bad roads I did. That's the reason I'm going to the air hitch. Also IMO, I think anything that can be done to soften the shock/stress to the rv when towing, is a good thing.
I agree I went to the trail air pin box because the rough roads were ripping my walls away from the frame up front by the pin box. I have 3200 pounds of pin weight, Im looking at the elete series from reese also but it does cost more.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Just wanted to say you guys twisted my arm on the curt q5. I got it today. Because I live all the way up in Canada they wanted to charge me 320 bucks shipping. However they did let me pick it up from a warehouse about 60 miles from me instead. I bought it from www.hitchstore.com. They weren't the cheapest, but Tara from customer service was able to match the cheaper price. It was 300 bucks cheaper than any other dealer around here. I am very impressed with it! Now all I need is to try and patiently wait to pick up my trailer on easter weekend. Its going to be a looooong 2 months!!!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

I have a Curt 20k and am very satisfied with it, no problems at all. Paid $795 for hitch and rails installed by dealer last December. Would highly recommend it to anyone.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

I will be ordering mine next week I found it on amazon.com for the cheepest $449 with free shipping. I have one sitting in my shop that im going to install in my buddys truck. When it got here the box was all beet up and the decal on the back got scratched up. I called Curt and they are sending a ne decal. real nice people.