Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #1
Site Team

5th Wheel Towing -- Long Or Short Bed

Just researching newer trucks and finding a long bed crew cab is like trying to find hens teeth.

So here's my question - Why did you choose one over the other?

I have pulled the same 5th wheel - the one before the one i have now - with both and I like the long bed. But i have a place big enough to park it inside. To me the ride is a little better and I can haul more/longer things.

On the other side parking it at a store is sometimes a challenge and it does not turn very short.

Just 1 rule --- Please keep your response to which one you have and why. This is not about brand or 1/2 vs 3/4 ton or gas vs diesel just short vs long bed.
Thanks and looking forward to your responses.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:10 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I’ve always owned short beds and pulled fifth wheels. That use to be more of a problem years ago when the front of the 5ers were more squared. With how most are curved in on the front edges it’s not as much of a problem. I know with my 2020 and how the front of my 5er is I can almost completely jack knife the trailer without hitting the cab. Also like you said using as an everyday vehicle and with parking situations the short bed is more practical for me.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:55 PM   #3
Site Team

Ours is a super crew. It has 156.5 in. wheel base, and 6 1/2 ft box. total length is 243.9 in.

We wanted the extra room in the back seat. It's huge back there.
I was concerned about parking. So when I tried one out I drove right up to the parking lot at one of the big box stores. That one has very close parking---not on the sides, but front to back. They made it pretty tight for pulling in without having to jockey around. I was able to drive right into that space. Just about as easy as with the car.

I don't know what your wheel base is, but it can't be much different then mine.

I couldn't get the long box with the f150 and a super crew. I think you can get that in the GM with the super crew.

You ought to drive some of them before making a decision. They have changed that turning business over the last few years.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:32 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

If you are planning on using the truck as a daily driver the shorter box may be more driver friendly, but if is going to be primarily a tow vehicle then the long box may suit your needs better. You will make the right choice for your needs.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:46 PM   #5
Site Team

My 08 has a 167" wheelbase and the total length is 258.7". Things change as we get older and not sure if i need the long bed any more. I run my hitch where the kingpin is 2" in front of the axle. Sometimes when we get home to turn the camper around to back it into its spot if it has been raining i try to stay out of the yard so i have to turn as short as possible then back up under it/jack knife to stay on the gravel. Just not sure with my camper if a short bed would do that but it would turn in a smaller radius so there is that.

I have a carrier that goes on the back of the truck that adds about 3 more feet. When going shopping while at home or while on a vacation it would be nice to have a shorter truck. At home we can always put it on the wife's car but while out camping it goes from the camper to the truck so parking is sometimes very hard.

I know want i want but finding it may prove very hard. Or i think i know.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:53 PM   #6
Site Team

As i stated things in life have changed. This may be the last year the wife works so instead of the truck setting in the shed until it pulls the camper it may get a lot more use. That is the big reason we are thinking of something else with a lot lower miles on it. It may go from every couple weekends and 2 or 3 weeks vacation to 2 to 3 month trips.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:23 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

bed lengths

I have the "mid-length", which is (approx), 6 1/2'. Sometimes I wish it was the long bed, because of my generator. But because it's a 3/4 ton, parking slots are sometimes difficult; a long bed would make them impossible. It's always a give and take, and don't forget your gross vehicle weight. A long-bed means (?) less payload.
LouieMcClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:30 PM   #8
Bro
New Camper

Had both

I had (have) both. I won't address the parking issue, obviously the short bed gets the nod there. To me, the choice depends on how long, tall and heavy your 5th is. I have a larger 5th and started with a short bed (f250) and slider hitch. Worked just fine. However, it was time for a new truck (won't go into the why's) and I went with long bed and dually. WOW! the towing experience is soooo much nicer. Less sway in windy conditions, passing big rigs etc. It feels much more stable all the time.

That's the long and short of it
Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:34 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I have both the long bed has no turning clearance issues
The short (standard now) I have to watch it but does turn fairly sharp
I have a manual slider but have not needed it yet.
The slider hitch may get you what you need with a short bed.
Both my trucks are Ram 2500.
codave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:48 PM   #10
New Camper

I have a short bed(6’4”). I bought the truck long before owning a 5er so I can’t compare to a long bed. I use a Anderson hitch and can make any turn I need. I can’t get 90 degrees but I get close enough. People always talk about 90 turns. The only time I use them is on my gooseneck horse trailer and it hard on the equipment.

Good luck.
Drayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:45 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I went through the same debate with myself when I was looking for a truck. I opted for the short bed 2017 2500 Ram with a slider hitch. I haven’t needed the slider hitch except one time and it saved me. But I can get almost 90 degrees without hitting the cab without sliding it.

I liked the turn radius and easier parking. I had a short bed 2006 Ford F-250 before this and the Ram definitely has a smaller turn radius

Tim
Old 03-21-2021, 06:41 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

I chose the short bed mainly for two reasons. 1st. It is a SRW and will go through car washes. At 70 I’m no longer washing vehicles. 2nd a long bed wouldn’t fit in my garage. These two things were , and still are, very important to me. I fitted the bed with a “Pull-Rite” auto slide hitch and have been extremely satisfied.
NEVER2LATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:51 AM   #13
New Camper

Short bed for me

Ford F250 crew cab short bed (6.5') for length of bed which is adequate for my 40' 5th wheel now that I added a 4" B&W goose neck extension. I can make sharp turns never worrying about contact between the cab and the RV. Then I have full use of the bed when not hauling the RV.
CampW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Ford F250 long bed for me. Longer wheelbase is so much better towing that I deal the the slight inconveniences when not towing the camper. More room to carry stuff in the pickup. We do mostly primitive camping and I can get our Rig into anyplace the short trucks can. 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks ride nicer empty with the long wheelbase. My 2 cents
Troddleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:26 PM   #15
Site Team

Thanks for the responses'. In my area the market is slim on the long bed trucks unless it has 6 wheels and that model is out. So the search continues.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Long bed

I opted for a long bed because I started with a travel trailer and wanted to get my motorcycle in the bed. Last year switched to a 5th wheel and hauled only as we bought at then end of the season.
Getting used to backing the 5th wheel. Seems awkward even though I have driven TT units for 40 years. Now I am adding a motorcycle lift to the back to carry the m/c with us.
Pjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:02 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

I have a Ford F-250 Diesel long bed and a 30' 5th wheel.
All drive so good that I don't even know I pull a 5th wheel.
Going max 60 though.
Greetings, Harold