Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #21
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowler304 View Post
Using your spreadsheet and all, it says I am 407 lbs over!

I can't speak for the calculations in the spreadsheet, someone I trust sent it to me when I was looking at trailers a few years ago and it seemed to make sense.

To Lloyd's comment, its not my intent to offer advice one way or another or "scare" anyone. The numbers are the numbers and gives you a good idea where your at.

Not understanding exactly what you mean by over..but unless you trucking alot of gear and/or passengers, I'd think you'd be pretty close to the TV limit or just a bit under. Remember the WDH takes weight off the hitch, but it is still in the calc on the axles.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #22
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bowler304
I trust the spreadsheet to be accurate, just saying by the spreadsheet we are 407 lbs over weight after putting in all the numbers. So the wife and daughter will follow me in the explorer, since most parks allow 2 cars per site anyway, it is not an issues.

I think overall I am a bit under without the wife, daughter, and our gear. We put the gear in the wife's explorer and just her and my daughter. The silly thing is, I am still 2K lbs below what the truck will tow (9700 lbs).

So silly I am shopping new trucks just for a few hundred pounds. I originally ordered the Max Tow on the Ecoboost but with the big tow mirrors it wouldn't fit in my garage, so I found another one locally without the big mirrors, but didn't have max tow. I guess I learned my lesson, that truck could of taken the family our gear, and not had any issues.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Tow Vehicle - 2017 F250 Platinum 6.2 4:30 gear
Travel Trailer - Sunset Trail Super Lite ST290QB
Color : Enzo
Dry Weight 5,774 - Actual weight 6,767
Bowler304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
I trust the spreadsheet to be accurate, just saying by the spreadsheet we are 407 lbs over weight after putting in all the numbers. So the wife and daughter will follow me in the explorer, since most parks allow 2 cars per site anyway, it is not an issues.

I think overall I am a bit under without the wife, daughter, and our gear. We put the gear in the wife's explorer and just her and my daughter. The silly thing is, I am still 2K lbs below what the truck will tow (9700 lbs).

So silly I am shopping new trucks just for a few hundred pounds. I originally ordered the Max Tow on the Ecoboost but with the big tow mirrors it wouldn't fit in my garage, so I found another one locally without the big mirrors, but didn't have max tow. I guess I learned my lesson, that truck could of taken the family our gear, and not had any issues.

Thanks for all the help guys!

I wouldn't trust that the sheet is totally accurate for your setup. If I was you and had that much reservation about it, I would find a scale ASAP.
Then you will know!
As far as the big tow mirrors--they fold right in against the door.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #24
Family Vacation Member

No worries found a scale and will be getting accurate numbers ASAP.

Yea I know the mirrors folded, just didn't want to do it every night to pull the truck in the garage. Now my truck I have added those mirrors and they power fold.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #25
Site Team

Talked to the Ford rep recently. He stated that the ratings for the trucks are least 10% conservative on what the actual number could be. He said that's pretty true for most of the truck lines. So even though you're a little over, the truck should be able to handle it.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:46 PM   #26
Full Time Camper

What's the old saying..."if it isn't in writing, it didn't happen."
Ford reps can give you their opinion but if it was considered factual, they would put it in writing.
I think we all understand the "fudge" fact mfg's use for safety issues but I personally wouldn't go off of what a tech said.
I can't see the Judge, Jury, or even the Highway Patrol using a tech's opinion.
I still think the door sticker is the correct view.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #27
Site Team

Didn't say it was legal or "in writing". Just saying everything has a "fudge factor" built in. And being over 450lbs won't break anything.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:38 AM   #28
Full Time Camper

Don't mean to get too sensitive about this issue but when you see the craziest loads on small tow vehicles and then to boot, driving 10 miles over the speed limit in the fast lane, I can just hear...

"But I read somewhere that it was okay!"

I feel better now.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #29
Site Team

Bob, I have to agree with that statement, but, ---it's getting to the point where so many think they need a diesel 1 ton dually to pull anything they hook on to.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #30
Full Time Camper

Agreed. Advances in design/technology have changed trucks alot in the last 10 years.

I had a 2001 Silverado. My 2015 GMC is very different in terms of power, design, and capabilities. The same 5.3L is rated for 60hp more, and the 6-speed tranny is awesome.

I will admit - we will be right there with our 8000# or so (loaded) trailer, but I am confident we will be within our means and safe. I too plan on hitting scales at some point.

Hey - if you are around 400# over - double check payload. I have always understood payload capacity to be given with the consideration of a driver and full tank of fuel (you and your gas should not deduct from payload - wife/kids does deduct).
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #31
Family Vacation Member

Living on the Edge

Not sure if I would want eat into any "spare capacity". Physics will inevitably win. It is not necessarily about getting and keeping the trailer moving - you also have to consider emergency maneuvers, including severe braking needs. If you go over the top - you are gambling with your safety - and that of everyone else on the road. Don't be "that guy"......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Talked to the Ford rep recently. He stated that the ratings for the trucks are least 10% conservative on what the actual number could be. He said that's pretty true for most of the truck lines. So even though you're a little over, the truck should be able to handle it.

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:27 PM   #32
Family Vacation Member

Seems I have sparked a debate, certainly not my intentions. I need to hit the scales, we figured that the parks we have been too all have water so we are going to empty the fresh water tank (saving 320lbs), and move everything behind the axle to reduce tongue weight.

I have also order the roadmaster active suspension and it will be installed before our next trip. Was going to go the cheaper route with bags but read that people have added both if they did the bags first. I think a larger F250 will be in our future but in another year or so.

Thanks for all of the information! This has been a great site so far.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #33
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Not sure if I would want eat into any "spare capacity". Physics will inevitably win. It is not necessarily about getting and keeping the trailer moving - you also have to consider emergency maneuvers, including severe braking needs. If you go over the top - you are gambling with your safety - and that of everyone else on the road. Don't be "that guy"......
X 10....

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #34
Full Time Camper

Quote:
I have also order the roadmaster active suspension and it will be installed before our next trip. Was going to go the cheaper route with bags but read that people have added both if they did the bags first. I think a larger F250 will be in our future but in another year or so.
I am planning to put them on my F-250.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 07-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
I am planning to put them on my F-250.

Why?
Old 07-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #36
Full Time Camper

It has a slight rake to the rear for one. Last trip out we had severe cross winds and thought it might help with sway? I also had a pallet of retaining wall block in the back the other day with a little more squat than I like.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 07-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #37
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
you also have to consider emergency maneuvers, including severe braking needs. If you go over the top - you are gambling with your safety - and that of everyone else on the road. Don't be "that guy"......
If you have to make an emergency maneuver your probably toast under, over or even right near the "limit". The physics of the mass behind the truck trying to overtake it will always be there regardless of the TV. As for emergency braking same thing once the trailer brakes lock you've only got the truck, just like a semi truck and trailer.

I have a f350 pulling a 6500lb trailer. I have way more truck than I could ever need but a late emergency braking situation or emergency lane change will probably end no differently to when I pulled the trailer with my Avalanche even with the systems on the truck.

Everyone needs to consider a safe speed and a safe distance between the cars in front of the TV. Being a few hundred lbs over or under the "limit" of a TV won't change the outcome of any emergency.

Hate away.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #38
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
It has a slight rake to the rear for one. Last trip out we had severe cross winds and thought it might help with sway? I also had a pallet of retaining wall block in the back the other day with a little more squat than I like.
My 350 does the same. It feels like the axle moves around under the truck in really windy situations pulling. I levelled my truck only to have it squat when I pull my gooseneck trailer.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopers_dad View Post
If you have to make an emergency maneuver your probably toast under, over or even right near the "limit". The physics of the mass behind the truck trying to overtake it will always be there regardless of the TV. As for emergency braking same thing once the trailer brakes lock you've only got the truck, just like a semi truck and trailer.

I have a f350 pulling a 6500lb trailer. I have way more truck than I could ever need but a late emergency braking situation or emergency lane change will probably end no differently to when I pulled the trailer with my Avalanche even with the systems on the truck.

Everyone needs to consider a safe speed and a safe distance between the cars in front of the TV. Being a few hundred lbs over or under the "limit" of a TV won't change the outcome of any emergency.

Hate away.
Good post.

Quote:
I'm no expert on the subject, but from what little I remember when I was pulling a tt-----if you use weight distribution bars correctly (only half the people that use them seem to know how), you will drop both the front and rear of the truck an equal amount when towing the camper.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #40
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Good post.

I'm no expert on the subject, but from what little I remember when I was pulling a tt-----if you use weight distribution bars correctly (only half the people that use them seem to know how), you will drop both the front and rear of the truck an equal amount when towing the camper.
It will and it does...but does not cure all your towing woes. Not to mention that it is obvious from this thread that we all tend to want to overload our trucks from time to time, towing or not.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4