Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2016, 07:15 PM   #41
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I traded one of them for the Eco-Boost.
Shame on you
woodwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
You all may want to go to the GMC website and see what real trucks are all about

I looked, the payload capacity is only 2000 lbs. for the GMC or Chevy compared to the 2650 lbs of the Eco Boost

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #43
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bowler304
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukCamper View Post
Well coming from a couple of Ford guys, I see you're getting completely different advice above. lol, I've been a Chevy guy all along but I almost went for a Ford on my last purchase. The one I test drove ran like a race horse (5.0L gas.) but it was missing a lot of options I wanted.

The sales guy on the Ford lot told me himself, "Stay away from the Ecoboost!.. They have half dozen of them in the shop here now & don't know what to do with them."
They were having major engine problems, Maybe things have changed & they have since addressed the issues they were having but I have heard several negative stories since backing up my opinion.

If you like the Ford & don't pull too much, I would stick with a V8, 5.0L gas. It's got plenty of HP & torque for the engine size plus proven reliability. One nicely optioned should accommodate your pulling needs.

Good luck
CC
I have an original early 2011 F150 ecoboost with 67k and zero problems. It tows my ST290BH @ 7700 lbs just fine. We don't go many miles (less then 2 hours) from our house as I am just learning to tow and my comfort level but is not there yet, but it is a rock solid tow vehicle with tons of power.

Now that said I have a fully loaded Platinum so my payload is 1161 and my trailer tongue weight is 883 lbs so that leaves me with ~275 lbs so with me being 210 lbs and my wife 135 I am over. The good news is my hitch puts weight forward but payload stinks on a fully optioned F150 like my truck.

The new ones are much better and you shouldnt have that issue, but check those weights. My truck can tow 9700 lbs safely, just for referenc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtEngineer View Post
Thanks guys.

I'm trying to get the dealer to put E rated tires on it as part of the deal. I guess where I'm wondering is how different ,y towing experience will be vs. My current F250. The F250 towing capacity is something like 12,200 in my current configuration. And it tows fine, but I find even the 6.2L gasser works hard in the mountains. plus the mileage when I'm not towing is not great.

I'm thinking the Eco will give me a better experience for sure when not towing and it should be similar to my F250 (with maybe a bit more power) when I'm hitched up.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Tow Vehicle - 2017 F250 Platinum 6.2 4:30 gear
Travel Trailer - Sunset Trail Super Lite ST290QB
Color : Enzo
Dry Weight 5,774 - Actual weight 6,767
Bowler304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #44
Gone Traveling

Quote:
I traded one of them for the Eco-Boost.
You only took the one, thought you could've got 3-4 for one used GM.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:04 PM   #45
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I looked, the payload capacity is only 2000 lbs. for the GMC or Chevy compared to the 2650 lbs of the Eco Boost
They can put whatever on the door sticker they want but you still have a light half ton trying to do a 3/4 ton job
woodwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
They can put whatever on the door sticker they want but you still have a light half ton trying to do a 3/4 ton job

You are truly misinformed or just don't want to believe it. But that's ok.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 04-20-2016, 06:31 AM   #47
Site Team

I'm guilty to, but I don't think we should be turning this thread into a truck wars, and let it get back to what the op started it as.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #48
Full Time Camper

Agreed with Lloyd. We all have our preference and good fun, but I, a die-hard GM guy, won't deny the technology of the Ego Boost is fascinating and works.

If they would mate the turbos to the 5.0L, I'd be driving one.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:55 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
I missed that also.
By the way, what are you doing on the Ford website?
Quote:
He's looking to get a real truck Lloyd.
Hey, I HAVE a real truck! I was verifying the capacities at the time.

It's like when my son says he can get as good mileage with his Volkswagen as I get with my Malibu. I just remind him that he is putting premium in his VW, and I'm burning regular.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #50
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukCamper View Post

The sales guy on the Ford lot told me himself, "Stay away from the Ecoboost!.. They have half dozen of them in the shop here now & don't know what to do with them."
They were having major engine problems, Maybe things have changed & they have since addressed the issues they were having but I have heard several negative stories since backing up my opinion.

If you like the Ford & don't pull too much, I would stick with a V8, 5.0L gas. It's got plenty of HP & torque for the engine size plus proven reliability. One nicely optioned should accommodate your pulling needs.

Good luck
CC
There was a design issue which could allow moist air to enter the turbo coolers on the earlier F-150 3.5L Ecoboosts and would cause some engine sputtering during rapid exceleration. It was solved by affixing small plastic deflectors to the sides of the turbo cooler housing. I believe there was a recall for this. The issue was resolved some time ago and there have been no other Ecoboost issues, that I've been aware of at least, since.

For towing power the 3.5 Ecoboost achieves 420 lbs of torque at 2500 rpm which is pretty impressive stuff. It's peak hp of 365 is also reached at pretty low rpm and both numbers stay impressive throughout pretty much the whole rpm range. Just a friendly warning: watching the Ecoboost torture test vids on Youtube have been known to result in Ecoboost envy.
BostonDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:42 AM   #51
Full Time Camper

The Eco Boost has been done right by ford, on the other hand my dealers will not buy a 5.4 with any kind of miles. I have to buy them right and sell them to the Mexicans
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:41 AM   #52
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
You are truly misinformed or just don't want to believe it. But that's ok.
I would have to completely agree, my '13 F150 EcoBoost does fantastic dragging a loaded up 8700 lb fiver up the high passes on the Colorado Rockies and never missed a lick, passed a lot of Chevys going up as well.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Pro BSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #53
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonDave View Post
There was a design issue which could allow moist air to enter the turbo coolers on the earlier F-150 3.5L Ecoboosts and would cause some engine sputtering during rapid exceleration. It was solved by affixing small plastic deflectors to the sides of the turbo cooler housing. I believe there was a recall for this. The issue was resolved some time ago and there have been no other Ecoboost issues, that I've been aware of at least, since.

For towing power the 3.5 Ecoboost achieves 420 lbs of torque at 2500 rpm which is pretty impressive stuff. It's peak hp of 365 is also reached at pretty low rpm and both numbers stay impressive throughout pretty much the whole rpm range. Just a friendly warning: watching the Ecoboost torture test vids on Youtube have been known to result in Ecoboost envy.
You jumped into the Ecoboost fray in your very first post. That's a bold move.

Have you seen the Truck Wars yet?

Welcome aboard!
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #54
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
You jumped into the Ecoboost fray in your very first post. That's a bold move.

Have you seen the Truck Wars yet?

Welcome aboard!
Thanks for the welcome Dave. Working on my intro now. Of course I'm often a sucker for a good fray... just try not to enter those unarmed, but that's easily shown to more of a guideline than a rule . Enjoying the forum. Lot's of good info here. My vehicle prejudices don't typically ever extend beyond dishonest and/or misinformed dealers/salespersons.
BostonDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #55
Site Team

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonDave View Post

I like this new guy a lot already.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #56
Site Team

Me too Lloyd.