Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Anti sway bar

Hi,

I have a 27 footer that i tow with a 1500 ram. I've only towed the camper home and trying to figure out the extra parts ill need. I will be getting the tokansha brake controller but from reading an anti sway bar looks like a need as well. I drove it an hour home with no problems but it cant hurt to have one.

I was looking at the pro series friction bar. Has good reviews. I notice my trailer has the plate already drilled onto it for a anti sway bar. Can i use this if i get the pro series? Are they all the same? There is no name stamped on it that i can see.

Another question is about the truck hitch side. I use a 3 size ball hitch.. is there any way to hook an anti sway bar to these? Or do i need to get a different hitch?

Thanks for all the help
Fstfrd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:37 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

In my opinion with a TT that length/weight a weight distribusing hitch with the sway bar would be very beneficial.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:42 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I thought about a weight dist setup. Online it says the trailer only weights just under 4k... but i found a scale sicker in the trailer that says a little over 5k. I woukd error on the side of 5k. Woukd i need a weight dist setup for that weight?
Old 08-09-2017, 05:00 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Who can recommend a good weight dustribution and anti sway kit? There are so many options out there, i dont even know where to begin?

Is curt a good brand to go with?
Old 08-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

We had a 35' Heartland before this SS26 and I used a Reese Straight Line with the dual cam sway control. It worked so well, I had the dealer include the swap to the new TT.
Reese StraightLine WD w/dual cam sway control
Delillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Towing the trailer home from the dealership is not an adequate sample size to determine if you need a WDH which you have alluded to in your post, so your going down the right path here.

The main purpose of the WDH is to reduce tongue weight. The sway bar is usually part of that setup. Look at the ratings for your TV compared to 10-12% of your actual trailer weight (on a sticker either in the trailer on/near the door you found) plus the weight of all your "stuff" loaded and if there is a delta, yes you need a WDH.

If your towing with 1/2 ton, I'd bet your probably close/over fully loaded on a 27 ft travel trailer and need the WDH. Err on the side of safety.

The sway bars help immensely and I wouldn't tow a pop-up without them, but that's me.

To answer your other question, the sway bar/WDH setup is all bolt on except for those plates, so not sure if the holes already on the frame will work , but no worries I've installed a couple WDH hitches and its pretty straight forward and I've installed in my driveway on a Saturday with no issues and I am by no means a professional mechanic.

As far as brands/recommendations, the other posters have made recommendations. I've had Reese and currently use a ProPride setup. Both have worked for me. ProPride is awesome for sway control, but pricey. They run 2K bucks but I've driven is really heavywinds out west and never had the trailer sway (knock on wood).

Good luck and welcome to the forum

PS

Please post your trailer model and year as well as the info on your TV.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Installed on every camper we have had. Love it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2016 Crossroads 291 RL Z-1
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Outdoorsman
www.wildlifeupclose.com
moore_rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

These folks have always been helpful. https://www.etrailer.com/
Good prices too.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Hensley Arrow pricey but worth every penny, will tow and back just like 5er.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

ProPride is a 'newer' design from the person who originally did the Hensley Arrow. I would say that these are the top two options for eliminating sway from even happening. If you want the absolute best, research these two. I don't think I've read much of anyone complaining about them other than the cost.

Personally I decided that they were too much $$$$ and I went with the Husky Centerline. I felt that this was a good compromise in that it offered the next best level in eliminating sway, but at less than half the cost. I determined that I'd use it for a few years and if I ever felt that sway was a problem I'd 'upgrade' to the ProPride. Haven't done that, yet!

The drawback of the Centerline is that you need to be very close to being in a straight line (TV & camper) when hitching/un-hitching. This has only caused me a minor inconvenience once when space was really really tight, but I got it done!

There are many other options out there, often at significantly lower costs. You will also find many opinions too. The above just happens to be mine!! I would recommend you do get a WDH and something to either manage or eliminate sway. Do your research and make the decision you are comfortable with. The hitch set up is an important component and isn't really a decision you should leave to chance.
Prev.: '05 GMC Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer
CenterLine HD (original)
1 wife, 5 kids, 1 rescue lab-mix
FezUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:46 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all the feedback. I've been reading a lot online. I've narrowed it down to the pro series wd and friction sway control. What are your thoughts?

My tw is 560 (from manufacturer) the kit is good for 550 to 750 tw. Do you think i would ever go over the 750 tw maxium?

What about friction sway bars and not allowing backing up? Any backing up or serious jacknife backing up?

My camper is 27 feet, do i need more than 1 sway bar?
Old 08-14-2017, 04:31 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

That 560 # is dry . So add propane ,batteries ,anything stored in the front compartment and really anything stored ahead of the axles. Bet you will be closer to 850 . Get a 1000# set of bars . As to the friction sway . It does not know if you are going forward or reverse. Just do not jack knife it real far . When you get to campground ,just loosen it . When I had one ,that is all I did .
I got tired of the friction sway and went with an Equ I zer 4 point sway control set. Love it .

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I was thinking of just going with the 1000 lb but i was reading that if i went too high that it would be too stiff and make the camper bounce. Any thought on that?
Old 08-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Opinions on the pro series brand?

Or husky brand?
Old 08-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

I'm not a fan of those clamp down anti sway devices. They work but not as well as other friction or cam type devices.

Like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...rt/C17500.html
2015 ST270BH
Old 08-15-2017, 08:41 PM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Yes, too strong a bar causes a rigid bounce. Do you have a truck scale near you? You can weigh it there.
2015 ST270BH
Old 08-16-2017, 07:03 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Not a fan of the friction models, had one for many years when I had a 17' hybrid. As the unit was so small it worked for the most part. Noisy and was usually a good idea to loosen or remove when backing up while turning.

As mentioned, I have the Husky Center Line with my 29' rig. I've had 18 wheelers pass me at quite high speeds and while I feel them there my rig doesn't sway. I've done 75+ downhill from the mountains and felt very comfortable (usually I'm in the 65-70 range depending on the limit). I've had serious blustery sidewinds and again, no sway or fight to keep it all straight. The only drawback is the having it all pretty straight to hitch and un-hitch. Oh and the weight of the whole thing!!

I would recommend that if you're not going with the ProPride or HA for monetary reasons, then check out the Husky. After that I'd consider some of the other options forum members recommend. But like tires, your hitch is a very important part of you getting to your destination and home again safely and in one piece, so don't get something you're not confident or comfortable with.

I have a friend who won't go more that 30-45 minutes from home or on the Interstate because he hates the sway his 26' with his Ford Expedition exhibits. He had no WDH and was using a single friction bar. I believe he now has WDH, but still uses the single friction with only a slight (perceived?) change. If he really wanted to go further away I guess he'd consider upgrading, but if all he wants to do is take the family down the road to local campgrounds then he's mostly ok.
CenterLine HD (original)
Old 08-16-2017, 07:32 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Thank you all.. I've purchased the husky cl kit...1000 lb tw. Through all my reading and videos i think this is the best for me at this time. I will keep you updated on my choice!
Old 08-31-2017, 03:46 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

I have the husky cl installed. Nice piece. Took it for a test ride and can def feel a difference. How will the brackets look after a year of the weight dustribution bars rubbing on them? Metal to metal seems odd.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:24 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstfrd01 View Post
I have the husky cl installed. Nice piece. Took it for a test ride and can def feel a difference. How will the brackets look after a year of the weight dustribution bars rubbing on them? Metal to metal seems odd.
I put a dab of the same grease that I use on the tow ball around the 'U' shaped piece on the A-frame where the bar slides back and forth, as well as a small drop on the underside of the small metal upside down 'L' shaped retainer. This has minimized any noise and wear/tear on the bars. I have approaching 10k miles on mine and there's nothing to show for it!!
CenterLine HD (original)