Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
Site Team

Back up camera

Looking for ideas on what type of back up camera members use on their truck and rv. Is it a freestanding monitor or built in to the rearview mirror, a mounted camera or a license plate camera, wireless or wired?

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

HitchCam Backup Camera + Monitor

I'm looking at this one, just waiting to hear back whether the picture is degraded if I add 20 or more feet to the video cable. I will mount one of those cheap receiver bumper mounts to the top of the trailer bumper and wire it to the running lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_CAM.JPG (12.7 KB, 299 views)
Cooper the Golden Retriever, and
Sam the black lab.
CampMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I bought a cheap Peak on sale for $69 after rebate. It is wireless up to the monitor. Camera is on license plate works great to back onto the ball. I have thought about making the camera a quick mount to have on back of trailer since the unit is supposed to have a broadcast distance of 90 feet then just have on all the time when traveling.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:42 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I have a Hopkins wired license plate camera. Makes it look like I know what I'm doing when I hitch up. http://www.etrailer.com/Electronics/...s/HM50002.html
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:14 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I tried them all - including the peak and nothing but wired worked for me...

I did get the wiring harness for a ford and relocated a second tailgate camera into my bed so I could hookup the the 5'er, but never hooked up anything on the rear of the 5er
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bowler304
Do you have the factory NAV system?

I do and found a thing called a LockPic.com and it will add two additional video inputs to your factory system. You can use 'Camera 1' for tailgate, 'Camera 2' for a camera on the TT, and 'Camera 3' for the kids video in the back headrest.

Install seems to be pretty easy but not sure, haven't bought one yet.

Ford SYNC FIM Lockpick

As far as cameras, I have seen that they are all pretty similar, but I have not seen one that is easy to install without pulling power from the truck or trailer lights. I too am looking for install information.
Tow Vehicle - 2017 F250 Platinum 6.2 4:30 gear
Travel Trailer - Sunset Trail Super Lite ST290QB
Color : Enzo
Dry Weight 5,774 - Actual weight 6,767
Bowler304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #7
Site Team

I don't have the NAV in the truck, so it will have to be an add on monitor or the rearview mirror type.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:50 PM   #8
Site Team

I had unsuccessfully tried wireless cameras in the past, so I went with a wired unit. My installation is illustrated in this post http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...mera-7807.html (3 posts on the page). I have a 7" monitor that I set on top of the dash. I have an in-dash NAV unit, so the truck's backup camera displays on it instead of the mirror. I also wanted a large, easy to see image because I have it wired to be on all the time so I can use it as a rear view mirror and see what is directly behind me and when, on those rare occasions that I pass someone, I am clear to move back into the right lane.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

I have been curious about this topic. My research says wireless it not quite there yet
You have to spend on the high end to get a reliable transmission.
I would prefer wireless myself.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:31 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

i haven't tried it yet but I already own a GoPro Hero 4. I plan to try it when I pick up my camper on the 19th. I googled it and saw where others had success on a Forest River site with a Hero 2 and Hero 3. It's a high end camera ($500) so it should work good. You can get an older one for much cheaper. I'll let you'll know how it works. I purchased it for scuba diving and it's a very useful sports camera so your not spending the money for just a back up camera. Your smart phone works as the moniter. I'm sure you can use a notebook or ipad also.
matherne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:31 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I got this Swift Hitch. I see they now make a 2 camera system with a extending antenna. I have to say I love mine. I can see hitching up very nice. The only problem I have had and they will tell you that on the reviews also is you have a switch to make the video swap out like a positive and a negative pic. so you just set it up and hit the button to what ever pic you are comfortable with. Not sure why they have that option. I found mine on Ebay for 120 bucks. Like I say I like it and it saved my marriage LOL.

John and Julie
Dubois, PA
2015 Zinger ZT31SB- 2008 Toyota Tundra
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I would recommend the Swift Hitch also. I've had mine for three years.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #13
New Camper

I got the camera setup from "Rear View Safety" company in Brooklyn NY. Mine is the wired version with 1 camera. Model: RVS-770613-213. I ordered from amazon so it came quick. Don't forget to order a RAM ball mount or get their $30 suction cup mount; otherwise you need to stick the included mount to dash with "never remove" tape.

I mounted the camera to top back of my TT. It has a single cable that goes from camera about 5' long. They include a cable that connects to that cable and goes to hitch area. The 3rd cable included goes from hitch up to dash. At dash, you need to wire it into a power and ground connection. The 4th cable included spans from your bumper connector over the hitch ball and onto trailer. Its the coiled cable and works great. Its all waterproof (best i can tell). To get the connectors thru the holes you need to drill, you must have a 1" step bit (Irwin makes one for around $40 at big box stores) and a 5/8" hole for back of trailer.

I used it for a one trip so far and WOW! it works flawless. At night it can see behind trailer, in pitch black, around 25ft with no problem.

HTH, Tom
wudwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:38 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

I'm making one outta spare stuff laying around, extra camera from my harbor freight security system. It came with a 65ft cable. Gonna hook it up to a accurate wireless display that no longer works wireless but has a 3.5 input. Hopefully get it finished this weekend
Southaven Ms.
gsbuick65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

I finally tried the GO PRO camera for hitching. I put a sticky mount on the hitch winch casing. Have a two directional swivel on the camera so I can point the camera at the hitch. Real easy to mount. Worked great. Only issue is there is a time delay that you have to consider. Still haven't tried it as a back up camera but I'm assuming it will work there also. Not ecomical to purchase for this purpose if you own or want one for other things all you need to buy is the sticky mounts.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

I did a test with the GoPro as a back up camera. Seems the wifi is at its limit when I get to the truck cab with my phone. The picture cuts out. Maybe with a shorter camper it would work. I'm still going to try it at the campground next time I go. Figure there wont be any interferring signals out there.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

my wireless works great came with my gps unit,thegpsstore.com
joep is offline   Reply With Quote

« new pickup | 7 pin »