Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
JPG
Weekend Camper

What can you guys tell me about Curt 5th wheel hitches? They look nice.I don't remember them being around a few years ago when I bought my Reese????

2003 Chevy 2500HD-Duramax/Allison

2005 Cruiser CF28RL

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...IMG_2043-1.jpg
JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:56 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

We've sold Curt products for a number of years and truly appreciate having them. Nearly all of our company trucks have Curt fifth wheel hitches and we try to offer Curt to all of our clients in need of hitching. They're a solid product, have a very good warranty, offer consistent and reliable service, and they're very reasonably priced. We previously offered Reese/Cequent all of the time, but with Curt stepping in and offering a better product (for the most common hitch types and sizes as their offering is a bit more limited) we've tried to work with them as frequently as possible.

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:00 AM   #3
JPG
Weekend Camper

Thanks Brad! I'm gonna send you a PM if you don't mind.

2003 Chevy 2500HD-Duramax/Allison

2005 Cruiser CF28RL

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...IMG_2043-1.jpg
JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:53 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I have a Curt Q5 5th wheel hitch on my truck. I bought the Curt after comparing others to this model. Quite honestly, all the others look like toys when compared to the Q5. It has a positive locking system that is virtually fool proof. Because of this it is a little more sensitive than the others in that you need to be 1/2" down when hitching and pretty high when unhitching. Neither of these is an issue once you have done it a couple of times.
After I had the hitch for a month or two I noticed a very small hole, maybe a 1/16" in diameter, in one of the welds. There was an appearance of rust weeping from the hole. I contacted Curt and sent their techs photos of the affected area. Upon receipt of the photos I was told that the hitch was safe but Curt would send a complete new hitch to me under warranty which they did. About 9 months after that I was greasing one of the three zerk fittings and when I tried to remove the grease gun from the fitting the fitting snapped off. Again Curt sent a new hitch. I have had no issues since then. Would I buy another? In a NY minute! My Cruiser is only about 10,000 pounds loaded after we pack and the Q5 is a 20k hitch but I wanted the safest and best.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I looked at them, but they didn't offer a undermount system like Reese, and their dealer network was a lot smaller than Reese's in case I needed something on the road.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote