Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Fifth wheel hitch for 5 1/2 ' truck box

We are in the process of owning our 1st Fifth Wheel trailer. We are we are looking to purchase a Sunset Trail Reserve 22RB. We own a 2014 Ford F-150 FX4. It has a super short box of 5 1/2 feet. Can you advise on what type of hitch we will need. We want to make sure we install the right one. Thanks
2 R Campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:10 PM   #2
Site Team

I like my PullRite Super Slide. Works automatically. No need to exit vehicle to make it work. PullRite Products | PullRite Hitches

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:00 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I like my PullRite Super Slide. Works automatically. No need to exit vehicle to make it work. PullRite Products | PullRite Hitches
If I was going to get another one. Especially if I was a first time 5er owner I would get the auto slide.
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:56 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Our daughter used to have a travel trailer and her SUV was not happy to pull it so she got a truck. She got a 5.5 box because she wanted something wasy to park. Then she upgraded to a fifth wheel and had to get a sliding hitch.

She lucked in and got one for a really good price from a family member. It is a Pullrite. With a box that like, I would not get anything else. It works really well.

She likes the way it works, but now wishes she had a longer truck. Not only is there no room in the box with the trailer attached, there is also very little room with the trailer not attached. The hitch is so heavy you need a block and tackle to get it in or out. She's keeping the truck for now, but when she trades, she will likely go for the 6.75 box that Ford offers.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Since you already own the truck and as almost new as it is, you'll probably will have to deal with that length bed.

It really depends on your budget and whether your trailer can turn okay with mfg clearances.

I have a Reese 16k manual slider that I use even though I have a long bed, for maneuvering, and backing up, so I don't hit the tailgate on the trailer.

It's a pain to move the unit back to the trailer position from the maneuvering and visa versa by myself. I can rock the truck back and forth with someone putting pressure on the switching handle to easily operate.

When by myself, I have to ensure there's no pressure on it, front to back, to operate easily. I've bent the handle enough to weaken it and use an adjustable wrench on the square tubing handle to help from bending more.

You'll probably find that you'll avoid using it if it's a manual hitch. Spend more if you can afford the automatic type.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

"A lot of depends on..." is the answer to your question

How about searching craigslist, etc.. for a used hitch? best be local because you wouldn't want to ship one!

Many, like me, may have moved on from 5'ers and have things like pullrite sliders in the garage that worked great!

but even with that... we had a LONG trail-air tri-glide pinbox on our redwood that could cause issues with the SIDES of the bed if we turned 90 degrees because the PIN was longer than half the width of the truck (and RW in their infinite wisdom put the electrical box BEHIND the pinbox !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arlington-20140131-00098.jpg (255.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg junctionbox.JPG (66.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #7
Site Team

I also have a Reese 16K, but I haven't had any problems sliding it by myself. I just move the handle to the unlocked position and drive the truck forward or reverse (depending upon which way I want to slide the hitch) with my foot on the brake to keep the trailer from moving. Then I move the handle into the locked position. I also greased the rails that the slider rolls on to make it roll easier. I don't slide if often since I have a standard bed and the trailer clears the cab.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Davis,
I too lube my rails, the four pins that lock into place, the handle assembly, etc.
Easy to roll back and forth with trailer brakes on but just very hard to unlock. I also store it inside when not being used.

The handle assembly is bent and angled up for ease of location but that's a weak spot that can't bend pretty easy when stress is applied so I "help" it with a crescent wrench.

As stated above, it's used for better access, in and out of my parking spot, besides the tailgate issue.

Not a real big issue, just something to pass on when making that buying decision.

Bob and Better Half

Reese 16k slider
Old 09-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Rather than a bulky sliding hitch, just replace the pin box with a Reese Revolution. It does the same function as an auto slider, but also works better for hookup, turning and backing plus no danger of the back of the pin box hitting the sides of the truck bed. Then buy the lightest, smallest hitch. No need to stick a 200 lb auto slider in a 1/2 ton truck.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
I've owned two 5th wheels over the past 20 years and have owned two Reese 16K slider hitches. After 18 years of service in three different F-250's my first Reese hitch finally wore out and I bought another identical unit. Lubing the slide bars and leaf springs inside the head unit is critical to keeping the hitch functional. If you are bending your handle bar, your not using enough lube.

D.
2013 Sunset Trail 32RL 5th Wheel (no longer own)
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjamin View Post
I've owned two 5th wheels over the past 20 years and have owned two Reese 16K slider hitches. After 18 years of service in three different F-250's my first Reese hitch finally wore out and I bought another identical unit. Lubing the slide bars and leaf springs inside the head unit is critical to keeping the hitch functional. If you are bending your handle bar, your not using enough lube.

D.
Thx D.
I'm going turn it up on its side and hit from below to see if that helps.

Bob and Better Half

Reese 16k slider
Old 09-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
Thx D.
I'm going turn it up on its side and hit from below to see if that helps.
A little bit of helping from a sledge hammer never hurts - much. LOL

D.
2013 Sunset Trail 32RL 5th Wheel (no longer own)
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

I've owned my 16k Reese's slider for 8 years now it stays in truck in the weather...lube it once r twice per year.. Paint it with spray paint once n a while...No problems...love it.

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote