Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2021, 08:32 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Ford 7.3L MPG and gearing question

I'm curious of other F-250 7.3L Godzilla owners; What gearing do you have, and what do you get around town/highway mpg wise?

I have just ordered one with 3.55 gearing because it will be my daily driver 90% of the time, and used for towing our 8K trailer 8-10 times a year during camping season. I live in the Midwest where it is flat as can be, and the only time really towing up any grade would be the handful of times if we went over the smokeys, or blue ridge mountains. But we have done that only once in the 6 years we have owned our camper towing with our F-150 Ecoboost, and the ecoboost handled it just fine power wise.

That being said, I'm curious on the 4:30 gearing what some of you might be getting mpg wise.

Thanks in advance.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 01:10 PM   #2
Wit
Weekend Camper

I just bought a 2021 F-250 with the 7.3 in February. I bought it to upgrade from my 5.0 F-150. Our camper weighs a little over 7,000lbs when loaded. The F-250 also has 3.55 rear end. While not towing, I get around 14 mpg. on short trips around where I live. My wife and I have driven it to Texas twice this year from our home in Ohio and have averaged 16mpg on the highway. When I drive 60 to 65mph it gets 17mpg, but once I get up to 75 on the expressway it goes down. While towing I have been getting between 8 and 9 mpg. which is the same as my F-150. The experience of towing with this truck is night and day from the F-150. Plenty of power and confidence while towing. I think you will enjoy your truck with this setup. I hope this helps with your questions and I look forward to hearing your experience with this truck. My father in law has always told me" if you can afford to buy the truck, you can afford the fuel!"😄
Wit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 03:11 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wit View Post
I just bought a 2021 F-250 with the 7.3 in February. I bought it to upgrade from my 5.0 F-150. Our camper weighs a little over 7,000lbs when loaded. The F-250 also has 3.55 rear end. While not towing, I get around 14 mpg. on short trips around where I live. My wife and I have driven it to Texas twice this year from our home in Ohio and have averaged 16mpg on the highway. When I drive 60 to 65mph it gets 17mpg, but once I get up to 75 on the expressway it goes down. While towing I have been getting between 8 and 9 mpg. which is the same as my F-150. The experience of towing with this truck is night and day from the F-150. Plenty of power and confidence while towing. I think you will enjoy your truck with this setup. I hope this helps with your questions and I look forward to hearing your experience with this truck. My father in law has always told me" if you can afford to buy the truck, you can afford the fuel!"��

Awesome! That helps a ton! I swear, reading through other threads, this argument of 4.30 over 3:55 rear axle's for the 7.3L is as bad as "Gas vs. Diesel".

I don't ever intend to purchase a 5th wheel, so all of my towing would be under 10K, and like I mentioned, 90% of the time it's a daily driver, and when I am towing, it's in the flat lands of the Midwest. If I do take a trip to the East coast, or south over the Smokey's, it would be very rare.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote