Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #61
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
I wouldn't bank on the big mirrors being any indication that it had the HD tow package.

Big mirrors indicate the Max Tow package that allow you to tow up to 11,200 lbs vs the 9,800 standard and has the 3.73 rear end. It's available on the Platinum/Lariat/FX4/XLT models.
Spartanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #62
BWS
Weekend Camper

The Big Mirrors may only mean that the driver bought them extra. You can add them to every line at least in Canada. My Only concern with not having the Max Tow is the extra cooling packages that come with the package. Premium oil and transmission coolers, 7 pin wiring, etc.

BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #63
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWS
The Big Mirrors may only mean that the driver bought them extra. You can add them to every line at least in Canada. My Only concern with not having the Max Tow is the extra cooling packages that come with the package. Premium oil and transmission coolers, 7 pin wiring, etc.

You still get the transmission cooler and 7 pin wiring, at least here in the US. I have both the transmission cooler and 7 pin wiring, and I don't have the Max Tow. The Max tow only upgrades the bumper and gives you the 3.73 rear end.

The Max Tow mirrors can't be had on a stock F-150 unless you have the Max Tow package. You can buy them, but under normal circumstances, a stock F-150 with those huge mirrors is a Max Tow w/ the 3.73.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #64
Full Time Camper

I will bet that any dealer worth his salt will install them after the sale or as part of the deal
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #65
Weekend Camper

I'm not saying the dealer won't install them, I just want to make sure the right information is out there for those considering it.

According to theFordSite, the only differences listed over the normalTrailertow package are the upgraded Rear Bumper,TrailerTow Side Mirrors, standard brake controller and the 3.73 rear end standard. This gives you the 11,200 lb tow rating. </span>
</span>
Everything else (Hitch, Harness, Upgraded Radiator, Upgraded Tranny Cooler) is available with the normal Tow Package, which is what I have on my truck, including the stock brake controller, which is an option. </span>
Old 11-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #66
Site Team

Spartantor
What size wheels and tire are on your truck? Also, are your mirrors power extend, or manual extend?

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #67
BWS
Weekend Camper

In Canada, you have to to up to either Platinum, or Lariat to get the power extend mirrors. In 2011 you had to order the Tow mirrors extra even with the Max Tow. From what I understood when I got mine,with the tow package you get a Tranny and oil cooler, but with the Max tow the coolers are upgraded to an even higher capacity. Another added bonus with Max Tow is the upgraded size in the eye bushings at the end of the springs and higher spring rate.
BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #68
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Spartantor
What size wheels and tire are on your truck? Also, are your mirrors power extend, or manual extend?

They don't extend, they only power fold. Tires are 305/40/23, wheels are 23x10
Old 11-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #69
Site Team

I got interested in the Eco Boost quite some time back. Consequently I have done my home work/research on this truck. I have looked and talked with four different dealedships. Most of them ended up with me being ushered into the managers office because the salesman wasn't able to ansewer my questions, with one making a call to the factory to get the correct info. So needless to say, I now feel pretty well informed on the Ford F150 Eco Boost.
Recently there has been a lot of conflicting info posted regarding this truck. I will try and clear some of this up to the best of my ability.

I have one on order. It's almost impossible to find one on the lot. It's just not something most dealers want to stock, simply because of the special equipment which is not in high demand.
The only model I could get the max trailer tow pkg and the HD payload pkg. with, is the XLT. "NOTHING ELSE." I tried!
This also included---LT245/17in. E rated tires on 7 lug rims, 3.73 ltd. slip rear end, "manual" extending tow mirrors. There is more, but this pretty much covers what I deem the most important.
The bare truck (wet) will weigh in at approx. 5860# this will change depending on what is added for optional equip.
My particular model gives me a GCWR 17,100#
Max. loaded trailer wt. rating 11,100#
GVWR 8,200#
Approx. max payload 2,620#
I might be off a few # one way or the other, but tried to be as exacting as possible.
I hope this helps.

Edited by: Old Farmer
Old 11-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #70
Site Team

I just picked my 13 xlt screw last month. Loaded like you want it. HD, TP. At the Ford dealer they have 3 more on the lot. I told them in august when I ordered mine to order others just like it. They ordered 6 and sold 3 of them already. So if you want to come to Lehighton, PA to get a truck let me know.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #71
New Camper

Quote:
The only model I could get the max trailer tow pkg and the HD payload pkg. with, is the XLT. "NOTHING ELSE." I tried!
This also included---LT245/17in. E rated tires on 7 lug rims, 3.73 ltd. slip rear end, "manual" extending tow mirrors. There is more, but this pretty much covers what I deem the most important.
The bare truck (wet) will weigh in at approx. 5860# this will change depending on what is added for optional equip.
My particular model gives me a GCWR 17,100#
Max. loaded trailer wt. rating 11,100#
GVWR 8,200#
Approx. max payload 2,620#
I might be off a few # one way or the other, but tried to be as exacting as possible.
I hope this helps.
Old Farmer as a Newbie here I certainly don't want to step on any toe's but feel I must clarify as to your info. You are half correct.

As oflate 2011 early2012 andinto the early 2013 (Now )model year and possibly up until the new F150 make over year in 2015, Max tow can be had in the FX4, Lariat and Platinum however the HD payload is not available with any of those 3.

Just an FYI.

Vertigo
vertigo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:52 AM   #72
Site Team

vertigo01
You shouldn't worry about being a newbie and stepping on toes. If somebody needs correcting because of misinformation, then by all means feel free to step in and state your case.
Now if you go back and reread my post I stated "both" max tow and HD payload. I didn't say anything about just one or the other.
You did get me curious enough to check it out again with my dealer. He plugged it back into his Ford computer and now came up with being able to order the Lariat with both max tow and HD pay load.
I don't know if Ford is changing things, software change, or just what is happening, but something has certainly changed since I placed my order.
Now, I have to say maybe you are the one that is half correct.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:18 AM   #73
Full Time Camper

I'm betting someone at Ford woke up and realized they have a market they are not addressing. Basically the RV market wanting to tow a 5th wheel with the Ecoboost and wanting more than the "basic" XLT trim package.

Duh.. To my simplistic mind it shouldn't involve more than a touch of reprogramming on the ordering computer. They are already building the trucks, just not with an upgraded trim.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 AM   #74
New Camper

Thanks for the toe stepping words of encouragement. I would triple check with your salesman as it seems he is not all that swift in the vehicle ordering dept.Did you already put a deposit down prior to his informing you of the new info?
I originally was looking for the same exact model you are. I had the 2011 FX4 with the Coyote 5.0 then the Admiral ( wife ) suggested we get a TT. Sold that and picked up a new F150 Lariat all bells and whistles cept the max tow. I figure if we can't find a TT under #9700 we don't need one.
Keep us posted as to your findings.

Vertigo
vertigo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #75
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo01
Thanks for the toe stepping words of encouragement. I would triple check with your salesman as it seems he is not all that swift in the vehicle ordering dept.Did you already put a deposit down prior to his informing you of the new info?
I originally was looking for the same exact model you are. I had the 2011 FX4 with the Coyote 5.0 then the Admiral ( wife ) suggested we get a TT. Sold that and picked up a new F150 Lariat all bells and whistles cept the max tow. I figure if we can't find a TT under #9700 we don't need one.
Keep us posted as to your findings.

Vertigo
I can't fault my salesman. I got the same info from 3 different dealerships.