Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #1
Site Team

Ford's new 7.3 gas

In case anybody has been looking at the 7.3 and not getting enough info, there is quite a bit of info and additional links here.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/32064/...x-body-mustang
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

If any thing like the old 460s & later V10s it'll pass everything on the highway but a gas station, towing or empty.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:18 AM   #3
Site Team

I posted the link for informative purposes only.

Not to start a discussion on past engines or to start another truck wars.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:57 AM   #4
Gone Traveling

Just curious?
Did I not submit my response or has it already been deleted?
Old 02-05-2020, 09:50 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

The old 460. Yep I had that baby in my 75 Ranger XLT. Loved it, and missed that power ever since. There's something to be said about power, it can get you out of predicaments, but can also get you into them too, lol, and yes there's some truth about passing everything but the gas station, but it had 2 tanks, got 14 miles to an imperial gallon, and I also had a real heavy foot, 18, and a farm boy, work hard, play hard, and tons of tickets too. BUT with today's technology that engine would be 5 times what it was back then, and probably still get the same mileage. But would it be better than there diesel, that's the question. Ford has some awesome work horses out there, but they all do, and they can all break down too, but just not as often anymore.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:19 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
In case anybody has been looking at the 7.3 and not getting enough info, there is quite a bit of info and additional links here.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/32064/...x-body-mustang

Hey guys, I was really hoping for an informative discussion relating to Ford's new 7.3.
If anybody has invested in one or has some first hand knowledge about it, please post away and let us know.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:48 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

7.3 Godzilla

You tube has lot information and towing test up the Ike in Colorado. 475 ft pounds of torque. Have 6.8 v10 and new truck will have7.3 unless problem pop up.
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:10 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBo View Post
You tube has lot information and towing test up the Ike in Colorado. 475 ft pounds of torque. Have 6.8 v10 and new truck will have7.3 unless problem pop up.

LeBo
You're right. They have some impressive videos on u tube.
It sure did like it's fuel on that Ike run. MPG on the road seem to be comparable to most of the other big cube gas engines also.
Thanks for the post.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #9
Gone Traveling

Cubic inches = horsepower = more fuel.
Gasser's torque = more rpm = more fuel.
Which was my intent with my 1st post, not to start truck wars.
If you want plenty of torque to tow at lower rpms with decent mileage get a diesel, if you want a haul a## Mustang get it with that 7.3, but IMO that engine is not a good choice for the tow truck.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:07 PM   #10
Site Team

I'm sure that everyone knows the larger the engine the more gas it uses. That's a given.

As far as not being a good engine for towing, I know people with diesels that get poor gas mileage, just the same. Probably will be a good engine for towing since it is a gasser and many use their truck on a daily basis for short runs which we all know is not good for the diesel engine.
The op is looking for first hand knowledge like he said and not conjecture about the mpg performance of the engine.

To focus on only gas mileage is only one part of the equation.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:41 PM   #11
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I'm sure that everyone knows the larger the engine the more gas it uses. That's a given.

As far as not being a good engine for towing, I know people with diesels that get poor gas mileage, just the same. Probably will be a good engine for towing since it is a gasser and many use their truck on a daily basis for short runs which we all know is not good for the diesel engine.
The op is looking for first hand knowledge like he said and not conjecture about the mpg performance of the engine.

To focus on only gas mileage is only one part of the equation.
Well that's twice I've been scolded for mentioning possibly (most likely) poor fuel mileage on this new engine!!
Apparently you & the OP are willing to accept that, but there are newbie's also reading here that haven't driven/towed with big gassers that might appreciate knowing that 6-8 mpg towing, or less, with one is about norm from those past engines, I don't have a clue about the 7.3 (or care), just passing along info from past experiences driving & towing with them.
Have had 2 diesels as daily drivers since '05 used for short runs around town, towing & all 'round travel with no issues. That may have been an issue in the past, but after 310k miles in mine I'd have to conclude it's not an issue with newer diesels, at least the brand I drove.
So continue this discussion & I'll not participate further.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Well that's twice I've been scolded for mentioning possibly (most likely) poor fuel mileage on this new engine!!

Well when you're not contributing anything to the original question/post what do you expect?

Apparently you & the OP are willing to accept that, but there are newbie's also reading here that haven't driven/towed with big gassers that might appreciate knowing that 6-8 mpg towing, or less, with one is about norm from those past engines, I don't have a clue about the 7.3 (or care), just passing along info from past experiences driving & towing with them.
Like mark stated, I'm not looking for conjecture or speculation.

Have had 2 diesels as daily drivers since '05 used for short runs around town, towing & all 'round travel with no issues. That may have been an issue in the past, but after 310k miles in mine I'd have to conclude it's not an issue with newer diesels, at least the brand I drove.
So continue this discussion & I'll not participate further.
Sorry.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:27 PM   #13
Site Team

TT, knowing you hate Ford trucks I wouldn't expect any other evaluation of the new 7.3.
But instead of guessing, a real life test of the trucks mpg is the only way to accurately answer the question.
I just however found on another a real life test of the mpg.

According to the post, with only 55 miles on the new truck he got these results.

60mph on cruise control - 16.6mpg
70mph on cruise control - 14.0mpg (was going into a stiff head wind)
Overall trip was 14.3mpg

No too bad. Should slightly improve over break in time.

I'm sure the reworking of the new engine (including a 10 speed transmission) will make a difference.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

I have a 2015 F250 4x4 with 7.3 gas engine. I pull a 37 ft bumper pull with it. I get about 14 mpg when not pulling the trailer and between 8 or 9 pulling the trailer.
I can pull at 70 mph with no problem.
Gregpriddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:51 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregpriddy View Post
I have a 2015 F250 4x4 with 7.3 gas engine. I pull a 37 ft bumper pull with it. I get about 14 mpg when not pulling the trailer and between 8 or 9 pulling the trailer.
I can pull at 70 mph with no problem.

I wasn't aware that Ford had the 7.3 gas back in 2015????
Old 02-19-2020, 07:13 PM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I wasn't aware that Ford had the 7.3 gas back in 2015????

Neither was I. Gas F250’s in 2015 had a 6.2.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

2015 F250 with 7.3 gaser ?
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote