Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2011, 03:06 AM   #1
JPG
Weekend Camper

I know some of you guys have a receiver hitch on the front of your trucks and haul your bikes up there. How has that worked out? Any cooling issues? What about night time driving-blocking headlights, etc...?

2003 Chevy 2500HD-Duramax/Allison

2005 Cruiser CF28RL

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...IMG_2043-1.jpg
JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

My setup works great. The bikes ride well and it is nice to be able to see them. They don't seem to adversely affect the headlights. Most of the beam shines through the spokes. The biggest obstruction to the beam is the tire, but even that doesn't cause any noticeable decrease in the light output. When the bikes are removed the horizontal arms swing up against the vertical piece. This is desirable because it is easy to misjudge your turning clearance when the bikes are removed. It is also very easy to remove the entire rack. one bolt with a 3/4" head attaches it to the hitch. It just so happens that the ratcheting wrenches provided with my wheel chocks are 3/4". The design of the rack is quite clever, the tires sit in their own open frame and then a piece comes down from the vertical member and locks the bike in place. There are Velcro straps to provide additional security for the tires, but because of the way it is designed they really aren't necessary. I can put the bikes on or take them off in a matter of seconds.

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

The only problem I have had is removing bugs from the bike. It is also a little nerving when you see how much the bikes move around.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I have a Bodiak Hitch mounted on the towing hooks on my Dodge (link is not my truck, no pictures of mine. Sorry

<DIV =sb_><CITE>www.rv.net/forum/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17216564.cfm</CITE>and had to modify my bike rack to lower it from my drivers site in the front, but it works great. No problems with heat but agree on the bugs. I don't recall the bike rack I have attached, but has large clamps that come down on top of each one, with no moving at all. Bikes do block some of my headlights while driving, but don't drive much at night with trailer or bikes. Best way to keep my eye on the bikes while traveling.

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote