Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Help - new truck considerations!

I'm buying a new truck. I've found a 2009 Chevy 3500 HD diesel LTZ loaded diesel with an 8 ft bed. Not a dually. Now sit down 6,800 miles. Original miles never been used. For $43,000

What mileage should I expect?
I've been told 2011 and newer get better mpg
I don't know what to do and I don't want the dealer to sell it out from under me.

HELP!!!

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I can't say for sure on the D-Max because I have the Ford Powerstroke. However, I have a good friend at work who has a 2006 D-Max and he gets about the same as I do: about 16.5 to 18 unloaded depending on terrain and speed. As for mine, I get 9.5 to 10.5 pulling a fifth wheel, again depending on terrain. Don't know if the D-Max is better or not.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

With your size of trailer you will still have better towing mileage with the diesel. Although not as good as some friends who have the newer ones you should average 12 or better towing your current travel trailer. Problem is, once you realize it tows like it isn't there - here comes the bigger trailer!!

Based on the year (2009) and not on the low miles you may be able to get that truck under $40k. It's already 6 years old since the 2015s are being ordered now.

Nice find!!
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I'm still working with the dealer on the price I'm pulling the trigger on Wednesday. I've never owned a diesel but many of my friends do and they all tell me to get a programmer for it. I'm going to start looking at those now. I'm getting 10 mpg empty with my 1500 HD now so I know this truck will do better.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

If that truck still has any warranty, wait until the warranty is out to get the programmers it will void it. We went with an extended warranty on our old F250 w/ the 6.4. It was our first diesel, we did not regret the extended warranty for all the issues it had. To be fair, I have been told an EGR delete would have solved a lot of my issues but I didn't want to shell that kind of money into a problematic truck that couldn't handle my next tt anyway.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

A programmer on todays diesel's is pretty much a waste of money, Unless you are just into mods
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:04 AM   #7
Ken
Weekend Camper

Bert I have a question for you with your current set up as mine is pretty close to yours. I just upgraded to a travel trailer this past fall and I have not taken my trailer to far from the house yet. How did your truck handle the weight of your trailer as far has power and how fast do you tow on the highways. Last have you had any transmission issues. I had a pretty large Lance camper previously on my truck and for 2005 I only have 44,000 miles so if I do not need to upgrade I don't plan to. So far towing it the short distances 40 miles or so from home it seams just fine, but I have not been on any major highways yet. I do have the weight distribution hitch and 2 sway bars and air bags from when I had the camper so as far as the tongue weight I am good to go. Just wanted to here your thought about the towing power before my longer trips I have planned this year.
Thanks Ken

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
A programmer on todays diesel's is pretty much a waste of money, Unless you are just into mods
In my opinion, Frank hit it right on the head.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:14 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
If you are under your bumper to bumper warranty period, I agree. But, if you wish to reduce many issues on some of the new diesels, a programmer is the only option (assuming you don't live in a state with emissions testing). It's not about the horsepower and torque, although I like my 550HP and 925 ft/lb of torque that my truck puts out not to mention the 20 mpg empty that I average in an 8,300lb truck, its about reliability through deleting the DPF and EGR cooler, ability to read codes on the fly and efficiently monitor on an accurate basis my transmission and oil temperatures. And no DEF!! The most common thing to shut a truck down in the new diesels are EGT sensors, NOX sensors, EGR valves, etc..

If you plan on leaving your truck stock, a programmer may save you a minor amount of fuel cost but is not worth the money. If you intend to actually improve your diesel by reducing some of the additional equipment that our governments have legislated and making them more reliable, it's the only option. My last issue just outside of warranty was a NOX sensor before I deleted. I've tuned, deleted and put on 45,000 miles since then and not even had a hiccup with my diesel.

That being said, the original poster is looking at a 2009 truck which is pre-DPF/DEF and has a good track record, so unless he finds it underpowered, which I know he will not given what he is going to be towing, he will not need to go to the degree of modifications that I've listed above. One thing he may choose a tuner for is accurate monitoring of transmission and oil temps and boost which come in handy when towing in the mountains.

I do all my own truck work, so here I know that many will choose to disagree. However, for those that are going to ask the questions, diesel trucks are one of my hobbies.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 04-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
Site Team

I had a 03 Duramax. I towed a bigger 5th wheel then most any member here when it was new. That included flat land and mountains. I was amazed at the power that thing had. Then I heard about the Bully Dog. I spent $550.00 and put one on. My mileage went up big time. Until they start screwing around with our fuel. Plus I had more power then I knew what to do with. Did I ever need all that power when towing?? No. Did I like that power? Yes!! Especially at the stop lights.
If you don't think you have enough power with these newer diesels, then maybe you have more trailer behind you then you should for that truck.
Very seldom do you ever hear of a stock truck having problems. Oh sure you do hear about them, just like you hear from the few here on the forum that are having problems with their RV.

I would say first and foremost, ask yourself this question---- do I "need" all that extra power, or do I just "want " all that extra power.
You might be surprised what your answer will be if you are honest with yourself.

One more thing---I don't believe you will ever pay for that programer with the fuel you might save.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest View Post
That being said, the original poster is looking at a 2009 truck which is pre-DPF/DEF and has a good track record, so unless he finds it underpowered, which I know he will not given what he is going to be towing, he will not need to go to .
Maybe the 2009 in Canada is a pre DPF but not here in Cal and probably many other states. Chevy added this in 2008 for emissions standards.

The other point...sometimes very low mileage trucks over many years isn't always a good thing. These engines need to be run regularly, getting to operating temps, keeping the oil oxidized, fuel fresh, etc.

Look at the maintenance records to help.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
One more thing---I don't believe you will ever pay for that programer with the fuel you might save.

For the average person, probably not. I, however, put over 30,000 miles on my truck per year so payback is less than twelve months. The added reliability - priceless. My warranty is a factor of miles, not years.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 04-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
Maybe the 2009 in Canada is a pre DPF but not here in Cal and probably many other states. Chevy added this in 2008 for emissions standards.

The other point...sometimes very low mileage trucks over many years isn't always a good thing. These engines need to be run regularly, getting to operating temps, keeping the oil oxidized, fuel fresh, etc.

Look at the maintenance records to help.
You're probably right. It won't be different for Canada. I thought chevs got away with it longer but the last year without DEF was probably 2007. Dodge Cummins didn't add it until 2013 and the Ford PowerStroke already had it in 2008.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 04-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

I have a 2008 GMC 2500HD with the Duramax, and I get around 12 -12.5 mpg when towing my 5th wheel. When not towing, I get between 19-20 hwy, 16-17 city. I have towed with it in the Rockies and I could always accelerate up any grade I was on.

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax

2009 Cruiser 30SK Patriot

jererp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:03 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Thanks everyone, this is why I love this forum. I know I will have more than enough power to do what I want. I was thinking about the programmer for fuel economy reasons. I've just heard the 2011 and newer get better mpg. To be honest this truck will be better on mpg than what I'm driving now.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:14 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Bert I have a question for you with your current set up as mine is pretty close to yours. I just upgraded to a travel trailer this past fall and I have not taken my trailer to far from the house yet. How did your truck handle the weight of your trailer as far has power and how fast do you tow on the highways. Last have you had any transmission issues. I had a pretty large Lance camper previously on my truck and for 2005 I only have 44,000 miles so if I do not need to upgrade I don't plan to. So far towing it the short distances 40 miles or so from home it seams just fine, but I have not been on any major highways yet. I do have the weight distribution hitch and 2 sway bars and air bags from when I had the camper so as far as the tongue weight I am good to go. Just wanted to here your thought about the towing power before my longer trips I have planned this year.
Thanks Ken
My truck does not have enough power. The last trip I was on, the truck ran at 3000 rpm in 3rd gear at 60 mph. I would not trust it going up a mountain. I weighed the truck and trailer and the total weight was 15,030 lbs. That was loaded with 2 adults 3 kids, full tank and all of our gear. My truck is rated to pull 10,200 lbs and I have 4.10 gears. Now I put airbags to level the rear end and it sits nice. Driving around in flat Florida it's ok but the slightest hill not so much. I'm getting the bigger truck so we can start bringing our golf cart and tow the trailer with ease. Trust me I don't want to buy another truck, I love my old blue.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:36 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

I知 hauling a Crossroads Kingston 5er at around 13,000 pounds loaded with a 2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax (no tuner). I am totally impressed with the power of this truck as I can run the speed limit here in north Georgia and the truck holds the speed and doesn稚 down shift on the hills. As for fuel economy, until recently I had oversize tires (295/70/18 Vs stock 265/70/18) and the odometer was off so I never knew exactly what I was getting. However, my best estimate has been as high as 19MPG unloaded and around 10MPG pulling the 5er. I知 considering the Bully Dog tuner primarily for increased fuel economy. BTW: something that I知 sure affects my fuel usage is the fact that my truck is a 4X4.
Randy McCaslin
2010 Kingston 35 SB
2011 Chevy 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kingston01.JPG (103.1 KB, 1 views)
rvscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:09 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvscooter View Post
I知 hauling a Crossroads Kingston 5er at around 13,000 pounds loaded with a 2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax (no tuner). I am totally impressed with the power of this truck as I can run the speed limit here in north Georgia and the truck holds the speed and doesn稚 down shift on the hills. As for fuel economy, until recently I had oversize tires (295/70/18 Vs stock 265/70/18) and the odometer was off so I never knew exactly what I was getting. However, my best estimate has been as high as 19MPG unloaded and around 10MPG pulling the 5er. I知 considering the Bully Dog tuner primarily for increased fuel economy. BTW: something that I知 sure affects my fuel usage is the fact that my truck is a 4X4.
Randy McCaslin
2010 Kingston 35 SB
2011 Chevy 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison
You just made me think of something. The truck I'm buying has factory rims and tires. I'm contemplating swapping them for the aftermarket rims on the truck I have now. Will 20" rims and tires change the trucks trailering capabilities?

Old 04-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Be careful on that change of rims, the bolt pattern maybe different between the two trucks
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Bert,
depends on the difference in the overall diameter of the tires if it will significantly change the final drive ratio....

in my experience, it typically changes the speedo just a hair, but not much else enough to be noticed...

(of course, changes in tire sidewall, etc... are just the same as any tire change...)

good luck, and great find - hope it's as good as it sounds....

And on the tuner question, before you decide, learn a bit about your new truck from the forums to see if you WANT a tuner - I've had tuners on EVERY thing up to my current 2013 and enjoyed the extra performance with a slight gain in mpg, but haven't done the 2013... Yet )