Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We are newbies. We have learned so much from all of you. But we still have a whole lot more to learn. This isour first post. We bought a Zinger 19RDS late last fall. We were led to believe we could tow with our Trailblazer but that is another story. We have just upgraded our TV fromthe 2005 Trailblazer to a 2009 2500 Suburban. We never thought to measure for the hitch height and are feeling pretty foolish. The top of ourZingercoupler sits at about18". The top of the burb's receiver, integrated in the bumper, sits at 25". We have the "Equalizer" WD hitch and need to find a much longer shank. We went to the dealer we bought the trailer and hitch from. The service guy was surprised by the height of the burb's receiver and said he had never come across this. He looked in several catalogs but could not find a long enough shank. Can anyone help us with just how long the drop needs to be and whether other manufacturer shanks will work with this hitch. Is the drop the difference between the two heights? In that case, 7" drop should work, but the equalizer shank selector on the website did not indicate they make one that would work (even the 9" drop did not come up) and the service guy did not think the 9" drop would be long enough. I think I saw one by Curt with a 14.5" drop. Would this work?

msstella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Accessories_and_Parts-sf-Weight_Distribution-pc-Shanks.aspx

Old 03-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Your only talking 7 inches.The shanks for most tow kits are adjustable and any good hitch place and most dealers should be able to help.Even the people at Camping world should be able to handle this one.You can call the people at e trailer or look over their site, or call other hitch places and talk to someone so you can explain what the dill is,Maybe fax or send thru e mail some pictures if they are to far to travel to.Your problem ain't that bad.Good luck

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Call etrailer their phone number is on their website. Tell them you want to talk to a hitch installer. They will take your name and number and he will call you back, be patient though.

That is what I did when I had issues to solve with my hitch and the installer was very knowledgeable.

Also remember that when setting up your hitch, and this is what the norm was that I found. You set up the trailer level, then measure from the inside of the trailers ball reciever to the ground. Then you set your hitch up on the TV so that the top of the ball is about 1 1/2"- 1 3/4" higher than the measurement that you took from inside the trailers ball receiver.

This is what they told me when I call etrailer. So you may want to call them directly.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

here are some links to read, the articles are very informative and will help you in your discussions when you call the different folks to help with your weight dist hitch issue

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17730894.cfm

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

http://www.ehow.com/how_2094696_setu...ing-hitch.html

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Update to our WD hitch issue. The only shank long enough was the Curt 14.5". But it was too long and needed a few inches cut off. We were lucky to find a service guy down the road from where we live that could help. Here is a picture of what our setup ended as. Since we couldn't get it level, the trailer nose is down about 1/2 inch.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and help.

https://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...lla1/001-2.jpg
msstella is offline   Reply With Quote