Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2021, 11:32 AM   #1
RHB
New Camper

Hitch Height for 2012 GT27BH

Just acquired a 2012 crossroads slingshot and it is on uneven ground. Trying to set up ball on truck at correct height.

Anyone know the correct height?
RHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:57 AM   #2
Site Team

I don't pull a tt, but I would venture to say you want everything as level as possible when you're hooked up to the tow vehicle.

Don't forget, the lift arms will help level to some extent.
Hopefully some of the guys that are pulling a tt will chime in here soon to help out.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your new to you camper.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:47 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
Just acquired a 2012 crossroads slingshot and it is on uneven ground. Trying to set up ball on truck at correct height.

Anyone know the correct height?
Measure the distance from the frame to ground at the axle then add the measurement from the bottom of the frame to the top of the coupler. That should get you pretty close.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:02 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

If you're using a Distribution hitch, follow the instructions in the manual. If you don't have the manual for a used hitch, download one online.
This needs to be done on a level surface. I'm stating the obvious here, but improper setup could effect your handling on the road in a few different ways.
I travel a major interstate daily, and and see more incorrect setups on TTs than correct ones. Trailers swaying, trucks popping wheelies, ect. Don't be one of THOSE folks......
get it on level ground and set it up proper for everyones safety, not to mention the health of your TV's suspension, tires, ect.
Old 06-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

By all means FOLLOW THE HITCH INSTRUCTIONS. I purchased the ReCurve R3 distribution hitch and spent 3 - 4 hours to ensure I did this to specs:

1) everything was on level ground.
2) measure the distance of the tow vehicle's fender measurement from the ground on all four wheels (after completion of set-up these measurements should change very little on the front wheels and 2" - 3" on the rear depending on tow vehicle's suspension and height).
3) measure the top of the hitch ball height on the tow vehicle
4) measure the top of the hitch coupler on the trailer while level
5) evaluate the best drop slot location for the hitch ball considering a squat of the tow vehicle of 2" - 3", all depends on your tow vehicle's suspension.
6) once trailer was connected, I adjusted the tension bars to bring the vehicles as level as possible.
7) when completed my re-measurements of step 2) were front fenders were raised 1/4" and the rear fender measurements were 2" less due to squat.

I have a 03 Duramax 3/4 ton 4x4, however I had previously followed this set up on my 94 Silverado 1/2 ton and the re-measurements in step 7) were within 1/8". This may seem odd but I think it all had to do with the differences in the height of the trucks' frames. Obviously, the Duramax suspension makes for a much smoother pull and less bounce. In fact, while I am at it I will share a complaint I submitted to Camco on the hitch bolts. I love the hitch and the ease of connection, but the grade 5 bolts are sub-par:

"I purchased the ReCurve3 hitch 09/24/2019 and had it installed on 03/05/2020. After my first pull with the new hitch, I attempted to check that the bolts were still torqued to 260 ft lbs. The lock washer on the bottom bolt split and the threads on the bolt were beginning to strip. I was advised by the installer that they recommended grade 8 bolts rather than the grade 5 that the hitch came with. I replaced both bolts with grade 8, plus added grade 8 flat washers and replaced the lock washer with grade 8. I also added a fiber lock nut on the top bolt. I feel this will resolve the issue."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012 CrossroadsSunsetTrail.JPG (184.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ReCurve3 Bolt Issue-2.jpg (103.3 KB, 4 views)