Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2022, 10:26 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I need a new pin box(bent king pin)

So to make a long story short. My wife and I purchased our first rv together, being a 29bs Zinger fifth wheel. When we arrived, previous owners did not realize the king pin was bent ever so slightly. Previous owners use a demco autoslider hitch to tow with which for some reason has more play or tolerance for a bent pin. When we got there, i tried hooking my pull rite super glide (now deemed the princess hitch) up to the trailer not knowing the pin was bent. 3 days later and A LOT of money buying new different parts for my super glide to get it to latch and no prevail. So we ended up buying a brand new demco autoslide because we new it would work per seeing old owners pull the trailer with theirs.

Main question is, WHAT PIN BOX SHOULD I GET FOR THE TRAILER??????? I lived at a couple different rv centers in missouri during this whole ordeal while picking it up and absolutely none of them had any pin boxes laying around. And they needed to know the dimensions and hole pattern of the old one to get me in the right direction. The camper was at a campground and i had no way of towing it to the rv center. So i ended up with a new hitch instead of pin box due to time restraints. I was told there should be a plate inside the pin box with a part number or serial number. But the box has been completely painted over with spray paint. And i see no plates anywhere. So any information is much appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1F64636B-CAE7-4E86-91C2-B66E94AAA39A.jpg (310.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg C76DF7EE-EC75-4D54-AD81-59D980D1A61E.jpg (211.6 KB, 13 views)
GandL06zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:40 AM   #2
Site Team

I don't think I have ever seen or heard of a king pin bending. Maybe there was enough torque applied in someway that it bent the box, but not the king pin its self.

You might give these folks a call. They're pretty good.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-measuri...l-pin-box.aspx
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:48 AM   #3
Site Team

As Lloyd said E Trailer is a good place to start and here is a link as to how to measure for the correct replacement https://www.etrailer.com/faq-measuri...l-pin-box.aspx.

Once you know what you need to fit properly than you can decide on a replacement either the standard or a upgraded one. Our Cruiser and the Seville we have now both have the Rota Flex pin box. It is a upgraded version to help reduce chucking.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:54 AM   #4
Site Team

If you lived a little closer, I have one laying around that came off my trailer when I upgrade to a MORryde. I would give it to you if you want it.
Old 06-09-2022, 11:56 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I don't think I have ever seen or heard of a king pin bending. Maybe there was enough torque applied in someway that it bent the box, but not the king pin its self.

You might give these folks a call. They're pretty good.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-measuri...l-pin-box.aspx
No, you are correct, the pin itself is not bent, the plate the pin is mounted to is tweaked or warped which puts the pin at an angle as you see in the picture. It was just easier to say the pin was bent rather than trying to explain the plate pin tweaked warped situation. Lol. Moral of the story, i need a new pin box. Haha. But thank you for the link for etrailer. Ive used them in the past for other trailer needs. But this is my first fifth wheel and first big issue.
Old 06-09-2022, 11:59 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
If you lived a little closer, I have one laying around that came off my trailer when I upgrade to a MORryde. I would give it to you if you want it.
Guessing it wont fit in a “if it fits, it ships” box? 🤣 how much would you guess shipping would be to 91752? I am going to go measure them holes right now to get correct fitment.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:37 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandL06zinger View Post
Guessing it wont fit in a “if it fits, it ships” box? �� how much would you guess shipping would be to 91752? I am going to go measure them holes right now to get correct fitment.

With the price of freight and fuel now, I would hate to guess. If I did I would have to say some what over a $100.

The ups store is about 15 miles from me, 30 round trip. They will package and ship.
The thing that will really add to the freight is the size, plus the weight.

I think my pin box is a 1621. That is probably what you have?
Old 06-09-2022, 01:02 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
With the price of freight and fuel now, I would hate to guess. If I did I would have to say some what over a $100.

The ups store is about 15 miles from me, 30 round trip. They will package and ship.

Ok. I just got done measuring. I am going to put it into the etrailer calculator and see what i have. Lol
Old 06-09-2022, 01:08 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:

Yea. It measures up to be a Lippert 1621. Only thing i saw different was the rear row to C of king pin i measured 25-3/4 and they have 25-5/8. But who knows where the 1/8” could be. But thank you all for the help. Ill be looking into a new pin box.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:19 PM   #10
Site Team

Stop by tonight on your way home from work and I''ll put it in the back of your truck.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:24 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Stop by tonight on your way home from work and I''ll put it in the back of your truck.
Hahahahahahahaha. I wish. WI is a little out of the way from work. But thank you anyway. If you know anyone in need of a superglide hitch. Im selling one on here.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:40 PM   #12
Site Team

Free pin box + shipping probably cheaper than new pin box + shipping.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 02:06 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Free pin box + shipping probably cheaper than new pin box + shipping.
Ill agree with you there. Free +shipping is def cheaper. But same time im thinking and looking at one of them fancy pin boxes with the airbag and shock and extra fuel tank for them long drives with lights on it and a siren that backs the truck up and hitches for you with all the bells and whistles. Lol. But no, i am looking at getting a little more fancy comfier ride one. Because the 1600 mile drive home with this beast just beat me and the family up. Lol