Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

I'm finally legal !!!

If you live in Texas you have to have a real 'special' license for large rv's...
IIRC, if the towed is more than 10,000 lbs or the driveable is over 26,001 lbs...

I say IIRC, because there are 100's of interpretations of the rules/laws (especially at the DMV!!! more on that later.) and I always thought I was good until recently...

So I took the written test after I had to convince them of what test I was SUPPOSED to take since they weren't sure... It included questions like how many lights does a farm trailer need, etc... that are SO meaningful to rv use !

Passed no problem, then had to take the driving test and even there they failed me at first due to giving me the full CDL test... thank goodness I 'discussed' it enough and loudly that one girl there told the guy that failed me that NO -he's taking the EXEMPT class B test... NOT the full CDL.

So he apologized and we got back in our rv and he gave me a little leniency because he had screwed up Passed and am legal - don't feel any different, don't drive any different, didn't learn anything different, but the state says I'm good now

Had always understood it was like when I was in Louisiana where no special license is required, then heard as long as you are not commercial, it's ok, then heard as long as you are not over 26,001 lbs you are ok, then not towing over 10,000 lbs...
and really STILL not sure of the laws the wording is so ambiguous, but I be legal now
Old 07-21-2016, 07:43 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

did they issue you a green card, also
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:59 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

JBT
Congratulations on being what every you are legal at... I live in Pa. and just like Texas the DMV here is totally screwed up also... I am currently having a problem with the medical certification part of my CDL licence... Not that I can't pass, but each year even though I pay for 12 months and as I am older and need more time to address any medical problems that may arise, the renewal date moves to the month I start the medical procedure instead of when I finally pass the process... I have renewed my CDL in December for the last 35 years...Last year because I had some hearing issues and started the medical process in September now I have to renew in September there for losing 3 months that I paid for in the this screwed up process... Also I might add if you do NOT finish the medical process by the due date the DMV revokes your CDL..Catch 22 at it's finest...

Just another example of our government working for us...WRONG...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #4
Site Team

I also have my CDL. Decided to keep it not knowing just what they might end up requiring as the years go by.
I don't bother with the medical card any more. We only need that if we are driving commercially.

Congrats John. Now you can run with the big boys.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:37 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Congrats Johnl
Old 07-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I don't bother with the medical card any more. We only need that if we are driving commercially.
Lloyd
I think it might be the same here in Pa. I'll have to check into it...

In God We Trust
Old 07-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Congrats on being legal. DMV is screwed up most places. Like where I live in NC I don't need a weighted tag on tow vehicle because your exempt for towing recreation vehicles. Not complaining though.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
Gone Traveling

Until someone can prove beyond a shadow of doubt that I'm required to have a license other than the one I was issued 50 years ago, I guess I'll drive illegally or transfer my residency to South Dakota. There is way too much gray area on this subject & I don't spend enough time in Texas anymore to have renew my license every year, it's hard enough since they changed the safety inspection rules.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

If you are domiciled in Texas and if you tow over 10K lbs - which I'm sure your RW is...
you "should" have the class b exempt --- easy to pass test once they give you the correct one
Old 07-21-2016, 05:36 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I also have my CDL. Decided to keep it not knowing just what they might end up requiring as the years go by.

Congrats John. Now you can run with the big boys.
Loyd
Have you checked to see if your CDL is still valid without medical. In CA if your medical card expires they will pull your CDL. I do not know if you could still use it non commercially. I've had mine since 78 and keep renewing it
Old 07-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

In Wisconsin your CDL is still valid for in state use if you do not have a fed med card, but it has to be disclosed when you do your yearly self certification with the state DOT. I just went through this two days ago at the dmv when I went to renew my drivers license. I recently retired and let my fed med card lapse but still wanted to keep my CDL. If you want to drive commercially and cross state lines you will need to get a fed med card and update your self certification with the DOT.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #12
Site Team

That is correct Scott. Thanks for the clarification.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:41 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Scott
So you could still drive a commercial vehicle in your state but NOT inter-state...Is that correct.???? If you wanted to go back to driving inter-state all you would have to do is pass your physical, correct???

In God We Trust
Old 07-21-2016, 06:57 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

sleepy-T, Correct, that is the way it was explained to me at a Wisconsin DOT office the other day.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:19 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Same here in CT. I have to renew my medical card every two years to drive my work trucks. Some are one year but guess the Dr. thinks I am still in good health. Work trucks have my DOT # so medical card is also required for that here in CT.

Steve
Old 07-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #16
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
If you are domiciled in Texas and if you tow over 10K lbs - which I'm sure your RW is...
you "should" have the class b exempt --- easy to pass test once they give you the correct one
That's the problem, we're in Texas once a year for about 2 weeks & we don't have a domicile except the RW only an address there.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

then you sound good to go TT... but I'm newly legal, so what do I know
Old 08-10-2016, 11:57 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Also in CA, to tow any pull trailer over 10,000 lbs or 5th wheel over 15,000 lbs, you need either a commercial class A driver's license or a non commercial class A license.
Many out here don't abide with the license requirement but if you have an issue and a HP stops or pulls you over and you don't have the necessary license, they give you 15 minutes to get a qualified driver or they tow it. Not to mention if you did get in an accident without the proper license, what would your insurance carrier do?
I've got my non commercial class A.
A written test, a pre driving walk test of about 50 points to review, a skills test requiring you to back up 100' within a 12' lane, back into a 90* parking spot, and then drive around a cone within 3".
Once that's complete, you then hit the road with the trailer and the driving test.
I need to submit a DMV form every 2 years, indicating I regularly get an annual check up.
It gets a little confusing because many regulations are Federal DOT where others are state regulated. Anything over 26,000 lbs requires an equivalent of a class B license for commercial in all states.
Driving laws like lane restrictions become state specific.
Then there state reciprocal laws, allowing you to drive in other states, using your home state requirements. Most states except 3, including Colorado, Delaware, and I think Loiusiana or Georgia don't use reciprocity. Need to refresh.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

I do know Louisiana does not require a special license as we just discussed it with the couple in a motorhome we went to Colorado with...