Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2023, 06:48 PM   #1
Site Team

Installing a 5th wheel hitch

I have a question for all you guys towing a 5th wheel.
Do you know what your measurements are for the pin sitting over the rear end. In other words, how much fore or aft of the rear end is the pin when engaged in the hitch?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 07:54 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Centre of pin should be slightly ahead of rear axle. Slightly could mean an inch. I don’t have measurements as my hitch is out. You don’t want it behind the axle any amount.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 05:12 AM   #3
Site Team

On my B&W Patriot there was a measurement in the instructions from the rear of the bed to the rail. There are 2 different measurements - one for long and one for short bed trucks. That put the kingpin over the axle when in the middle fore/ aft position. Then there are 3 positions on the hitch at 2 inch intervals for in front/over or behind the axle. The 19 GMC has the factory puck style 5th wheel prep and it puts it in about the same position.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:43 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 660catman View Post
Centre of pin should be slightly ahead of rear axle. Slightly could mean an inch. I don’t have measurements as my hitch is out. You don’t want it behind the axle any amount.
Could it be just a 1/4 in. ahead of center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
On my B&W Patriot there was a measurement in the instructions from the rear of the bed to the rail. There are 2 different measurements - one for long and one for short bed trucks. That put the kingpin over the axle when in the middle fore/ aft position. Then there are 3 positions on the hitch at 2 inch intervals for in front/over or behind the axle. The 19 GMC has the factory puck style 5th wheel prep and it puts it in about the same position.

What position is it supposed to be when towing?
Old 03-01-2023, 10:03 AM   #5
Site Team

According to B&W the location depends on your trailer and the clearance between it and the cab. The further back allows a tighter turn.

My last truck was a long bed so I had plenty of clearance and ran it all the way forward. This truck is a short bed and it is in the middle over the axle.

Now going back to the trucking industry with a sliding 5th wheel moving it forward will transfer some weight to the front axle. Now with a camper that amount would be very slight. It is more about clearance in a tight turn. You could even run it behind the axle with out any sway becouse you are still within 2" on the centerline.

What brand hitch are you working with?
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 11:25 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Could it be just a 1/4 in. ahead of center?

What position is it supposed to be when towing?

It can be directly above or slightly forward. It can not be behind for highway towing. With a slider, it can be behind for more trailer to truck clearance when parking.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:32 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

When I bought my fifth wheel I got the dealer to install the hitch as he threw that in with the deal. Not all campers need a slider as was the case with mine. In two seasons so far I have never come close in my 2013 Sierra 2500 6.5’ box. Mine is a Reese 15k.
Old 03-01-2023, 01:29 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 660catman View Post
When I bought my fifth wheel I got the dealer to install the hitch as he threw that in with the deal. Not all campers need a slider as was the case with mine. In two seasons so far I have never come close in my 2013 Sierra 2500 6.5’ box. Mine is a Reese 15k.

Mine is mounted 1/4 in. ahead of center of the axles. That is where all my hitches have been mounted. I know they don't belong behind the axle.
My hitch is a 16k Reese slider.
I was hoping for more feedback, but maybe the others aren't sure just where their hitch is mounted. A lot of times people take it for granite the dealer/installer knows what they're doing, and never give it another thought.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:08 PM   #9
Site Team

My Pullrite hitch comes with the exact dimensions for whatever truck you have. You can also get a template that lays on the bed of the truck and you can just follow it for exact positions to drill holes in bed. (This is for the Superrails that come off) Otherwise, the website has exact diagrams of where to bolt onto frame.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:46 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I’ve had a slider Reese hitch for my last four 5ers. Have used the slider one time in the last 20 years.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:08 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

On my F250, I purchased the 5th wheel kit through etrailer.com. All the bolt holes are pre drilled to mount on the frame and automatically lines everything up.
Pjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:22 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

I bought a slider for my '22 ram shortbed but with the slider back it hit my tailgate causing some damage. I found for my setup that I dont need a slider. just have to be watchful when turning sharp. many folks run their hitch behind the axle an inch or two with no problems. only a miniscule amount of weight is transfered to the front by doing that and on a dsl the front end already runs heavy. I have mine setup right over the axle. rides fine. now looking to sell the slider and get the lighter fixed version.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:45 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

We’ll make that twice now. Was in a bind the other day and actually had to use my slider to get out. If I hadn’t had it I would’ve been in trouble. Guess I jinxed myself.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 10:10 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

as a newbe I still have some adjusting to do. we have a corner lot and added a 14' wide approach and concrete pad on the back corner of our lot an the side street. the problem is it slopes down a little from the gate into the backyard and so at some point the truck is in the street facing downhill a little and the trailer is in the yard angled down a little the other way so the back of the truck is high. I guess I could still use the slider if I left the tailgate open for the first few feet pulling out and then close it before I have to turn.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote