Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

From My previous TT I have a WD system rated for 800# tongue 10,000# GVWR and the "bars" are rated for 1000#'s. With the trailer empty the truck (05 Ram 4X4 Quad cab Hemi with 3.92 rear end) drops 0-.250" in front and 3/4" in the back. The trailer is a ZT27bhse. about 4800#'s empty With a tongue weight of 740# (17%), max trailer weight of 7500#'s. The largest storage area is in the back, this is where the heaviest items will go. I travel without fresh water and the water heater and "nasty" tanks are all behind the axles. The empty weight of this trailer is about 400#'s more than my last one which held all of the heavy stuff in the front. Do I need a new WD hitch based on weight alone?</span>

</span>

Updated to add "new" to hitch.

Edited by: pheonix
pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

As long as you always use the bars, it sounds like you will be OK. I would take the trailer loaded for a long trip to a scale and see what the tongue weight really is. That number will tell you for sure how you are doing. I get 15% on your ratio but that is based on an empty rig. As you load it up your ratio will change and you want about 15% on the tongue (+/-).

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

The hitch on the truck should determine if a WD hitch is required. The hitch should list weight carrying and weight distributing numbers. What are the numbers on the hitch for weight carrying?
If both GVW and tongue weight #'s are under the listed weight carrying capacity you won't need the WD setup. If I were to make a guess though you are probably goin to be over on the tounge weight.
gmctodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

The truck and the hitch are good with a WD setup. I am concerned about the "head" rating of 800#'s.

pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Pheonix,

We purchased a 1000# EZLiftroundbar from Sirpilla. I will look at it tonight and see if it has a "head" rating. I think the main difference in ratings is the spring bars, not the draw bar. The hitch worked well, but I need to add tension (too much bounce).
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:23 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Our draw bar sticker says 600# weight carrying / 1400# weight distr

I don't know if that helps...
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:45 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I see now you changed your original post. If your tounge weightnumbers are correct you are fine. To be safe though I would take it to a scale and weigh it. First the truck, then the truck with the camper hooked up (no camper wheels on scale) that will tell you exactly what your tw is and you can adjust cargo accordingly.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Check the tounge weight both with and without the bars hooked up. It's been awile since I had my TT but I think it had close to 960# on the ball. When the bars were hooked up depending on what link of the chain I used I could push much of that weight to the front of the truck. Just make sure you don't exceedyourfront axle weight. I hooked my bars up according to how the whole setup was loaded. less weight to the front when loaded for a weekend trip, no firewood etc.