Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I just purchased a Sunset trail 20ck and have it parked in our back yard. The ground slopes away from the house slightly.

I have power jacks and have been trying to level my trailer. I put blocks on the low side and turned on the power jacks. One switch powers the two front jacks and another switch powers the two rear jacks.

It seems no matter how many blocks I put on the low side jacks the trailer remains unlevel.

I noticed that the low side jacks don't extend all the way after hitting the blocks. Is there a way toextend the low side jacks independently?

Thanks,

Wade
wader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Simple answer, no. At least for the rear jacks, they work together and equalize the weight that each is supporting and not the height that each is positioned. For the front, you can set each leg to a different length and that will change how much weight each is carrying, but still not level the unit. The jacks are not really intended to carry 100% of the trailer's weight on one side and that is what you are basically trying to do. So, you really need to have the area where the tires sit as close to level as possible, then the jacks provide stability, not leveling. I use two layers of wood boards on the low side. Depending on how much of a slope you have over the roughly 7 ft distance between tires, you may need a lot of site work to get a level pad.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the info.

We were at a KOA over Memorial Day weekend and we saw lots of rigs with blocks under their jacks. The pad we were parked on was level and needed no adjustments.

Are some rigs designed to be leveled using their stabilizer jacks?

So for us, we should level our unit withlevelersunder the wheels? So we'd pull in, and with our vehicle attached, check level, then movin our unit so the wheels are on levelers?

We've ordered leveling blocks that can be used under wheels or jacks.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Wader, I put blocks under all jacks. Not really necessary for the front but the stabilizers in the rear stabilize better not lowered so much. In other words, the more you lower the rear stabilizers the less they stabilize. This is especially true for the scissor jack types.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

We would pull into a site and check the side to side level while hooked up and back onto as many (hopefully not more than 2) 2X12's to level out. Then unhook and level front to back using the stand under the hitch. Lastly bring down the scissor jacks to stabilize the camper. I don't think any stabilizers are designed to support the weight of the camper. You see some motorhomes with wheels off the ground - just doesn't seem safe and our dealer said not to!

Have: 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2006 GMC Yukon Denali
croberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
hhh
Seasonal Camper

The stabilizer jacks on the rear of your trailer is not made to level level or lift the rear of your trailer. Trying to do so can damage the stabilizers and bend your trailer frame.Many motorhomes and some trailers have leveling jacks that are designed to level the motor home. You should use wood planks or Lynx Levelers under the wheels of the low side of the trailer to level it side to side. Use the front jack to level front to back and then use the rear stabilizers to support the rear.

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Ok, thanks for all the good info.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Icarrytwo 2" X 12" boards about 5' long with me on camping trips to level side to side under the tires. I guess if I need more then two, I'm out of luck. But so far, I have never needed more then two. I have angles cut on the ends of the boards to make it easier to back onto.

2005 Dodge RAM 3500, CTD,QC, 4x4,SRW,48RE,3.73

Honda EU6500is

Mini Dachshund
bigdave442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:06 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wader

Are some rigs designed to be leveled using their stabilizer jacks?

Answer, NO. Stabilizer jacks are exactly that and that alone. But many motorhomes and some fifth wheels are equiped with leveling jacks, these jacks have the power and the frame has the strength to support the full weight of the unit.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote