Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Lifting the truck with Weight Dist. Hitch

When installing the weight distribution bars I connect the coupler to the ball and lift the truck about 5" before tightening the chains. I'm wondering about the max amount of weight the mechanism inside the coupler can manage without cracking/failing. From my truck specs the back of the truck weighs about 2000 lbs. Basically the weight of the truck is hanging on that single piece of metal that hooks under the ball. I've never tried to lift the truck completely, but I'm tempted to do it to try it so I can pick up another link to the chain. It's a 1100 lb WDH but I'm concerned about damaging the coupler by lifting the truck. Anyone ever looked into this?

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:46 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm not trying to be the weight police, but I think you have more trailer then your truck is suppose to be hooked onto.
You could install either timbrens, air bags or roadmaster active suspension. Any one of them will help level your truck and trailer, but it won't change the payload capacity on your truck.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
Site Team

I personally would not keep doing that not only is it hard on the hitch but also on the jack. When i had a bumper pull i would use the jack some but not 5". Also and this is just my opinion but you have a LOT of camper for your truck But if your happy with it good. Personally i think that if the factory springs are to weak to hold up the load and you need some helper springs you are overloaded.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I do the same thing myself, but I really just only lift it just before the truck starts to raise up hardcore( maybe 3 inches or so)..and for the same reason, just to take the tension off of the chains when I put them on.

Been doing it for years without an issue.
priest6479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:10 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I've also been doing the same thing myself for a couple of years.

For the same reason, just to take the tension off of the chains when I put them on.

I haven't had any problems yet.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I lift my truck 2-3” also. That’s more than enough to make it easier to install chains.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:50 AM   #7
Site Team

A small amount - 2-3" i would say is ok but 5" would be putting a lot of stress on the latch.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:10 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Mine doesn't use chains, but solid bars. the bars must rest on brackets attached to the trailer frame, so I am forced to raise the truck to the point where they can be put into place.
On level ground, this would be 2 to 3", occasionally, I have had to raise it significantly higher to get them in place. I believe the manual for my WDH says this is normal, but its been a while since I've looked at it.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:09 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I have wondered about raising the hitch also but the instructions on my hitch tells me to raise my truck so I can hook up the chains.
AstronomyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupler, limit, wdh