Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

might be time for a new TV

So my F250 is in the shop for the umpteenth time. It's a 2009 F250 with the 6.4L PSD. We bought it used in 2012 with 32000 miles on it. While I love towing with it and enjoy driving it most of the time, I'm tired of the issues. To date it still has several mystery issues that can't be diagnosed. It smokes really bad in regen phase on cold wet weather as well as gives me frequent regens in the winter. This has been looked at in 3 different dealerships and am unable to determine a cause or a cure. It shifts rough, will occasionally have a brief loss of power at speed and sometimes have a roar when idling or at low speeds. 2 dealerships have been unable to establish what is going on because the temperamental thing will only do it for us and not the dealership.

Today, I took it in for hesitation when starting and yearly inspection. Not good. Not only do both batteries need replacing but the rear axle seal (or something along those lines) is leaking and there is an engine oil leak. Surprise, can't find the source of the engine oil leak so now we get to put dye in the oil, drive for at least 1 week and then bring it back. The rear seal is covered under my extended warranty and they believe the oil leak will be as well but can't be 100% sure until cause is determined. So glad I went with the extended warranty on this one.

The auto show is in Raleigh this weekend, guess I'll head up there and check out the new 3/4 and 1 ton gassers. I'm gonna miss my diesel but for towing approx 10 trips a year I can't really justify the expense of going diesel again. Those of you that tow heavier 5ers (11000 lb dry range), how has the Silverado or ram gassers handled the hills? I'm a little burned out on ford right now.

Signed
Frustrated in NC

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I would look hard at the the new Ram with the 6.4L Hemi.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Hate to hear that about anyone's car troubles and especially your 250.... but it does sound like it's time ! The new ones are light years ahead of those even 3 years ago - this 6.7 350 is a hoot to tow with ! Do I recognize that username from ford-truck.com? been there a while myself - they can offer some guidance.

BUT, with all due respect ,
it was a used vehicle that could have been treated horribly with maybe no maintenance and think it's past being ford's fault

Personally, I would blame the previous owner... and the fact that the dealers can't fix it is also not ford's fault - I've run into some horrible dealers (right now it's an rv dealer ) but when I found the ford dealer with the heavy truck shop, I was golden !!! They treated my 'lil' Excursions as a coffee break after the big ones they work on !

(Oh yeah, have not had either the 2012 250 or 2013 350 back to the shop for anything other than oil changes - both were flawless !)

good luck !
Old 02-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Aileen
Sorry to hear about your trouble with your truck. Glad to hear you got the extended warranty though.
I see your point about getting gas instead of diesel. I understand the GMC 6.0 liter is plenty powerful, but not sure if the Allison is available with it.
Anyhow I hope you get everything straightened out.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Sorry to hear about your problems with your truck.

In regards to your question about the Dodge or GM gas motors. I have heard from a few friends in the auto industry that the new HEMI is a beast. I have never driven one though, or came across anyone that has towed with one yet, so I am not able to provide more knowledge than that.

I can tell you about the GM 6.0L engine though. I have a 2007 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0L engine. At the time I bought, I could not justify spending the extra money on the Duramax. Especially considering I only put about 3,000 to 4,000 miles on my truck a year. It would have taken me 15 to 20 years in order to see the savings because of the higher MPG's.

I am a weekend camper and we do one long trip each year up the UP of Michigan. For me to get to the campground in the UP, it takes me about 5.5 hours from my house. Both years we have done this, my truck has averaged about 9 to 9.5mpg while pulling this distance. I don't pull a 5er, but I pull a 9000lb travel trailer when she is all loaded up.

All I can tell you is that my truck does great! It isn't going to set any land speed records, and won't keep up with the diesels going up hills, but that doesn't matter to me. All I am looking for, is to get to the campground safely and in one piece. If it takes me an extra 10 minutes because I slow down slightly on hills, who cares. Now, if we start doing more traveling to other states that have a much more agressive terrain (mountains, etc), I may think about going to a diesel. But for the terrain I have here in Wisconsin, my gas motor takes care of the job just fine.

I can't say one bad thing about my truck.
JeremyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I understand, I feel the same way
Old 02-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Jeremy
What do you have for a transmission in your Silverado, and does it have the tow mode ???

In God We Trust
Old 02-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Jeremy
What do you have for a transmission in your Silverado, and does it have the tow mode ???
Being the gas motor, I don't have an Allison. I just have the 6-speed automatic transmission. It really pulls the trailer well. I just put the tow-haul mode on and go. I usually go about 60mph when pulling and I have never had a problem.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyN View Post
Being the gas motor, I don't have an Allison. I just have the 6-speed automatic transmission. It really pulls the trailer well. I just put the tow-haul mode on and go. I usually go about 60mph when pulling and I have never had a problem.
I have heard the new six speeds are great for towing.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Another nice feature on my truck is what I call the "engine brake" (not sure of the official name) that is installed. I can only assume this is factory, but when I am headed down hill and applying brakes, my truck will automatically shift and shoot the RPM's up, helping me slow down. Just like an exhaust brake would in a diesel pickup. It is very nice and has helped me slow down and come to safe stop on a couple occasions where I was getting a little nervous.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Jeremy
That is exactly what I wanted to know. Your truck has all the same features that the diesels have. Probably not much difference between them, if any at all.

In God We Trust
Old 02-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Anaro,

The only thing that I want to warn against, is checking the rear end gear on your next truck. I didn't do enough homework when I bought mine. Mine came with the 3.73 rear end, and it shrinks my towing capacity down to 9800lbs. If I would have gotten the 4.10 rear end, I would be up around 11,500lbs.

I bought this truck so I could eventually get a 5th wheel, so now I am limited on what I can purchase because of this mistake. So please make sure that if you decide to go with a gas truck, get the correct rear end. Otherwise you might be limiting yourself.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyN View Post
Anaro,

The only thing that I want to warn against, is checking the rear end gear on your next truck. I didn't do enough homework when I bought mine. Mine came with the 3.73 rear end, and it shrinks my towing capacity down to 9800lbs. If I would have gotten the 4.10 rear end, I would be up around 11,500lbs.

I bought this truck so I could eventually get a 5th wheel, so now I am limited on what I can purchase because of this mistake. So please make sure that if you decide to go with a gas truck, get the correct rear end. Otherwise you might be limiting yourself.
If your truck is 2wd, then any good shop can swap the ring and pinion set to 4.10 for around $500. Tow ratings are based on drivetrain performance only, not brakes, frame etc. and making this change will be no different than if the truck had come equipped from the factory with the optional 4.10 ratio.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Ok thanks for the advice guys. I'm really crying right now. With all this snow and crappy weather I was stuck driving the camaro today. Not good. I can drive in this carp (used to live in NJ and MD). The idiots in front of my crawled at about 1 mile per hour up the hill and stopped on the hill to fix wiper blades. The camaro didn't have enough momentum built up to make it up the hill and so I slid off the side..... a nice gentleman towed me up the hill with his white f350 in shining armor. I made it to the dealership to get the truck. They were closed but the keys were locked in it for me to get in. The stupid keypad wouldn't work. It didn't even light up. They put 2 new batteries in it! WTH. No way the camaro was gonna make the trip home and no chance of getting into the truck since AAA can't let you in to your vehicle on a dealerships lot. Also all towing companies are closed to calls for the weather. Luckily another nice gentleman in his white F350 PSD drove me home a half hour out of his way. He wouldn't let me do anything for him but we have offered to get his truck cleaned by my auto detailing neighbor. THANK YOU MIKE JONES for getting me home!!! I want my truck back problems or no problems.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 02-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
If your truck is 2wd, then any good shop can swap the ring and pinion set to 4.10 for around $500. Tow ratings are based on drivetrain performance only, not brakes, frame etc. and making this change will be no different than if the truck had come equipped from the factory with the optional 4.10 ratio.
Unfortunately, my truck is 4WD. I have looked into the option of switching the rear end out, and everyone said it would cost around $1300 to $1500. This is talking to a few mechanics that would do it on the side.

I know that is cheaper than getting a new truck, but I don't know that I want to go through that either. You never know though, I might just take that option in a year or two.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Hope they get it all fixed. We have talked much about new TV (currently don't have one that will haul the new TT). I have leaned very heavily towards a 3/4 ton GM 6.0L. Love diesels...but cannot justify added cost, both for the truck, fuel, and maintenance.

We shall see. I will likely go used...so it will be the luck of the draw there.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

I hate that you've had so many problems. My 2008 has been great. I love it. I do hate the exhaust regen just because of the fuel mileage. Have you considered removing the exhaust filter and adding a Bully Dog or similar tuner? Pretty expensive mod, but it would do away with the need for the regen. As for the heavy smoking, it could be an injector problem or some other engine management issue causing the engine to over-fuel and allow unburned fuel to coat the exhaust filter. When the filter goes through the regen, the exhaust temperature is raised to around 1300 degrees to clean the filter. If there were heavier than normal carbon deposits in the exhaust/exhaust filter due to the fuel/air ratio being out of balance, that might be what is causing it to smoke. Just a thought. I'm no diesel mechanic, but that would make sense. Unfortunately, if it is an injector problem, they aren't cheap to replace. Hopefully you can get it fixed or find another one that gives you better service. These things are awfully expensive to have to deal with that kind of trouble.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Add Seafoam to your next tank of fuel....seems to work well Put it in a 203 250 today cleared up the sticking injector problem
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

I've done the sea foam thing already, it didn't help. one thing I do know, this is not the weather to look for a bargain on a 4 wheel drive.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 02-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #20
Site Team

But there is a big President's day sale going on. Are you interested in a new TV or used??

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote