Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 07:07 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

New 5th wheel hitch question

Been having problems with my Husky 16k hitch unhitching. Brought it to a shop and was shown that the slide bar is having problems which is causing my issues. So it's time to get a new one. The owner has a Reese 16K R16 with little use that he'll sell me cheaper than buying a new one. But it isn't on a slider. Anyone know where to look for a tube slider for this hitch? Looking online, the ones I found were 350-400. If I buy that, a new one together with the slider it brings the prices closer than if I buy this used one and a slider separately.... But then I am going to have to put this together myself......

Any suggestions is appreciated.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Personally I'm not sure I'd buy a used hitch unless I personally knew the owner. Thats just me though.

By buying new you get a warranty and support and the confidence no knuckle head has messed something up that will cost you later.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgy View Post
Personally I'm not sure I'd buy a used hitch unless I personally knew the owner. Thats just me though.

By buying new you get a warranty and support and the confidence no knuckle head has messed something up that will cost you later.
Agree
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:11 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Help me understand how the "slide bar" would affect the opening of this hitch? Is something bent?
To the other's concern, you can't do much to a slider when operating and not sure how buying a used one would make a difference...unless it's kept outside and weather torn?

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

The slide bar I am talking about is the bar that locks in the king pin. Mine has developed some movement in it (forward and back). When it is forward, it gets caught and won't let the locking/unlocking bar be pulled to the unlocked position. I am then pushing, pulling lifting, etc for an hour until I can get it to move back. This usually happens when the truck is at a very slight incline and trailer is flat. A lot of campgrounds up here have that.....
Old 09-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmpres View Post
The slide bar I am talking about is the bar that locks in the king pin. Mine has developed some movement in it (forward and back). When it is forward, it gets caught and won't let the locking/unlocking bar be pulled to the unlocked position. I am then pushing, pulling lifting, etc for an hour until I can get it to move back. This usually happens when the truck is at a very slight incline and trailer is flat. A lot of campgrounds up here have that.....
If it binds because both the truck and trailer aren't flat, I have my wife move the truck back and forth slightly while holding the trailer brakes locked and I hold the unlock handle through that transition. The slight change will "unload" the pressure of that push and easily allow the pin to unlock.
My handle is slightly bent because of the past owner trying to force it open.
Try this first. It may save you a few bucks.
There have suggested to lube the pins and mechanism while off of the truck.

Bob and Better Half

Reese 16k slider
Old 09-26-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
If it binds because both the truck and trailer aren't flat, I have my wife move the truck back and forth slightly while holding the trailer brakes locked and I hold the unlock handle through that transition. The slight change will "unload" the pressure of that push and easily allow the pin to unlock.
My handle is slightly bent because of the past owner trying to force it open.
Try this first. It may save you a few bucks.
There have suggested to lube the pins and mechanism while off of the truck.
I have done the same with mine on several occasions. Does it bind only when hooked up to the 5er or will it work freely while unhooked. If it works freely while unhooked then it's probably the bind and unleavel of the camper as stated.
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
I have done the same with mine on several occasions. Does it bind only when hooked up to the 5er or will it work freely while unhooked. If it works freely while unhooked then it's probably the bind and unleavel of the camper as stated.
It might also be how square the alignment of the rails were originally installed.

If just slightly off, the locking pins can bind just enough to make it difficult to release.

I'd do additional research before just spending more money on a new unit until more specifics are determined?

Bob and Better Half

Reese 16k slider