Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #1
New Camper

New Tow Rig/First Long Trip

So I was panicking a tad about my Chevy really struggling to pull our 28 Foot 6400 pound Zinger. The trailer was 500 pounds over the tow limit of my truck when it was dry and empty, so being loaded down with some gear was REALLY making it struggle. So I went out and bought a "new" truck. 2011 F150 SuperCab 4x4 XTL. 5.0 motor, towing package, capable of towing 7800 pounds.

My question here is a two-parter really and long, so stay with me. The tires on my old truck had a load rating of 112T. The tires on the new truck are Hercules Terra Trac AT II's sized 265/70/17 and a load rating of 115T. If I'm decoding them correctly, that means the tires on the new truck have a significantly stiffer sidewall then the old ones. So I'm guessing I'll have less tire squirm then I did before? Should I add additional PSI for the trip?

Second "question" is this. Thus far the longest trip we've made in the RV has been about an hour away. This trip will end up being from Southern TN, to Illinois, on to Wisconsin, then down through Indiana on our way back home. Since I'm borderline OCD and an Army Veteran, I've already got the entire trip planned; never driving more then ~180 miles without stopping for gas/food/bathroom, I know where we're stopping for gas, and also have the camp sites reserved for the whole trip. Beyond the standard stuff like maintenance befoe you leave; is there anything else to keep in mind for the trip?

Thanks
Bigred15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
Gone Traveling

In that OCD every stop planned trip is there any room for fun or maybe spur of moment "let's go do ____ today"? What happens if something UNplanned happens, your whole trip is thrown out of sync. Just go enjoy this big beautiful country & stop to take it all in.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #3
New Camper

NO!!!! THERE WILL BE NO DEVIATIONS TO THE PLAN!!!

I'm kidding of course. We're headed up there so she can meet my extended family for the first time. We're splitting the drive up to IL and back from Wisconsin into two days each. So there will be some time for side trips if we want. Be on the road for about 5 hours each day, so plenty of time to go off script.
Bigred15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:17 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

it says on the tire sidewall, what the max psi and max load. run max psi, at least on drive axle.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote