Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

New trailer - enough truck?

We just made a verbal confirmation to buy a new Sunset Trail, Grand Reserve, SS26SI trailer. I want to get some feedback on our truck / camper combo.

Our tow vehicle.

We have a 2012 Ford F150, XLT, Super-Crew, Ecoboost and the Max Tow package. The door sticker shows we have 1788 lb payload. GCWR 17,100, and max trailer weight is 11,200 lbs. It's just me and my wife, so our weight is about 450 lbs. We normally carry 2 bicycles, a portable grill, box of tools, 2 zero gravity chairs, and a case of water in the bed.

Our New Trailer

Overall length 30'. GVWR 7600 lbs. (dry 5986). Tongue wt: 740 lbs

Our current trailer. (2013 Sunset Trail Reserve, ST20CK)

Overall length is about 24'. GVWR 5500 lbs.

We currently use a weight distribution hitch and have never had any issues. However, this new trailer is considerably heavier, and about 6 feet longer. So I'm wondering -

1. Is this a safe load?
2. How much difference will I notice behind the wheel?

Thanks... Mike
https://www.treehousewellness.com/Pho...amper/F150.jpg
mikenannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenannie View Post
We just made a verbal confirmation to buy a new Sunset Trail, Grand Reserve, SS26SI trailer. I want to get some feedback on our truck / camper combo.

Our tow vehicle.

We have a 2012 Ford F150, XLT, Super-Crew, Ecoboost and the Max Tow package. The door sticker shows we have 1788 lb payload. GCWR 17,100, and max trailer weight is 11,200 lbs. It's just me and my wife, so our weight is about 450 lbs. We normally carry 2 bicycles, a portable grill, box of tools, 2 zero gravity chairs, and a case of water in the bed.

Our New Trailer

Overall length 30'. GVWR 7600 lbs. (dry 5986). Tongue wt: 740 lbs

Our current trailer. (2013 Sunset Trail Reserve, ST20CK)

Overall length is about 24'. GVWR 5500 lbs.

We currently use a weight distribution hitch and have never had any issues. However, this new trailer is considerably heavier, and about 6 feet longer. So I'm wondering -

1. Is this a safe load?
2. How much difference will I notice behind the wheel?

Thanks... Mike

IMHO You're looking good Mike. Safe? Yes, if set up right including anti-sway bars and have your brake controller dialed in correctly. Keep that tongue weight well within the trucks limits and you should be pleasantly surprised that it feels about the same as your current trailer pulling down the road. I found the less weight I have in the front storage area and under the bed, the better the whole rig handles, even if that means moving "stuff" to the bed of the truck. Get a tongue scale. Well worth the investment. I weight the tongue before every trip. The first time I used it, I was actually over my truck limit and had to "purge"

As far as comfort towing, that is personal preference. You got a lot more trailer back there. Cross shear winds will be more noticeable as I found when we went from a 27 to 33 footer a few years back. Also getting in a out of gas stations, campgrounds will be a tad more tricky, but not too much to fret.

I have the same truck and pulling 36' 9700#GVWR trailer with a ProPride 3P WDH with no issues, but again, it's what you're comfortable with. I've added airbags and sway bars to my truck also. The rear sway bars in particular have made a HUGE impact when both towing and daily driving. Just something to consider down the road to take "the edge" off.

Again, all personal preference on comfort of towing.

BTW
I found a spreadsheet online that I have posted links numerous times on this forum. You input all your maxs, weights for your vehicle and it calculates a safety margin. I can PM you the link if you want, frankly I think you look good with what you've shared.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Thanks! I think I'll be fine as well. I do have a sway bar now, and wdh. Not sure if I'll need to upgrade anything, but I'm open do that if need be. My biggest concern I guess is wind pushing me around a bit more. Guess we'll see.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Thanks! I think I'll be fine as well. I do have a sway bar now, and wdh. Not sure if I'll need to upgrade anything, but I'm open do that if need be. My biggest concern I guess is wind pushing me around a bit more. Guess we'll see.
YW

No matter what your towing with the wind can always get whipped enough to push you around. We had wind storms a few years back coming home from Yellowstone. Actually saw a bad truck/travel trailer accident on the other side of the road. We just pulled off until it passed through.

I hazard to guess it won't feel that much different.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
YW

No matter what your towing with the wind can always get whipped enough to push you around. We had wind storms a few years back coming home from Yellowstone. Actually saw a bad truck/travel trailer accident on the other side of the road. We just pulled off until it passed through.

I hazard to guess it won't feel that much different.
I'm hoping not to notice too much difference. I typically cruise at about 63 mph as well, so never in a hurry.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #6
Site Team

You must have max pay and max tow by the sounds of your numbers. If that's the case I think you will be fine.
If you do find that the tail is wagging the dog once in awhile, then I would suggest you invest in a Hensley or Pro-Pride.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I went from a 26' to a 33' that had the wide stance axles and also upgraded my WD to a Reese Dual Cam and found the new combination to be a easier tow. Congrats on the new trailer and I believe you will be fine.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Congratulations on the new rig and welcome to the forum. I would suggest checking out the Roadmaster Active Suspension system if you have any tounge weight concerns. It is a nice system with an easy install and once you set it up the way you like, your done.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
You must have max pay and max tow by the sounds of your numbers. If that's the case I think you will be fine.
If you do find that the tail is wagging the dog once in awhile, then I would suggest you invest in a Hensley or Pro-Pride.
We have the max tow, but not the max payload. I didn't get the max payload because that required the longer bed and it wouldn't fit in the garage
Old 06-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
We have the max tow, but not the max payload. I didn't get the max payload because that required the longer bed and it wouldn't fit in the garage
Right. The "Max Payload" option on the SCREW is only on the longer bed. What gears do you have?

Old 06-01-2017, 12:15 PM   #11
Site Team

I have the max pay, max tow, with a super crew. 6 1/2 ft. box. Also 10 ply 17 in. tires. gear ratio is 3.73
Old 06-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Oh yes. Mike, you should definitely upgrade to 10ply tires. Another huge difference in towing. That "mushiness" goes away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #13
Site Team

Mark, if he has the same setup as mine, the 10ply tires come standard.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Oh yes. Mike, you should definitely upgrade to 10ply tires. Another huge difference in towing. That "mushiness" goes away

I've thought about doing that when i replace my original tires. They are getting close to replacement time so I'll look into that. Did you notice a significant difference in non towing ride with the 10 ply tires?
Old 06-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Mark, if he has the same setup as mine, the 10ply tires come standard.

The truck came with Goodyear Wrangler 'P' rated tires so I'm pretty confident they are not 10 ply.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Honestly, yes, bit stiffer ride more noticeable in the winter months. But I've also added airbags and recently added heavy duty shocks and Torklift Stable Loads, so the ride is stiffer regardless what tires I run.

You can drop the pressure in the tires when not towing. to make the ride more comfortable. The owner of Pro Pride turned me onto the tire roll issues when I thought my hitch wasn't dialed in right.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Honestly, yes, bit stiffer ride more noticeable in the winter months. But I've also added airbags and recently added heavy duty shocks and Torklift Stable Loads, so the ride is stiffer regardless what tires I run.

You can drop the pressure in the tires when not towing. to make the ride more comfortable. The owner of Pro Pride turned me onto the tire roll issues when I thought my hitch wasn't dialed in right.
What kind of shocks did you add? I believe I need some now, or really soon. I already have the 10 ply tires and airbags (not in passenger seat either). And has anyone upgraded their brakes?

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Labbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:46 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

I had the Rancho's installed. Not all that happy. Stiff ride and the "adjustable" setting doesnt have a noticeable difference in the ride. I've heard the Monroe stuff is better.

I just had my brakes done. Ditched the Motorcraft rotors and went to Bosch. Much heavier rotor. I also ditched the Motorcraft pads and went to the newer stuff from Wagner...the QuickStop line of pads. When those pads warm up..they grab hard!

On defining "upgrading" brakes. I talked with my mechanic (whom also does alot of performance/hot rod work) and he said unless you are increasing contact with bigger rotors and pads, "upgrading" the caliper to performance aftermarket is mostly cosmetic. They have kits out there that run 2-3 grand which require overhauling the whole setup including lines and possibly swapping out your wheels for clearance. I'm not that invested in my truck.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Ecoboost

While we're on the topic of trucks, have either of you had any issues with your Ecoboost? I love mine thus far, 62,000 miles - no issues.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
While we're on the topic of trucks, have either of you had any issues with your Ecoboost? I love mine thus far, 62,000 miles - no issues.

Nope. 90K and only seems to get stronger. That includes 17K of towing miles.

FYI, you might want to start a new thread when you want to change subjects our friend Lloyd is being kind letting us jump around topics right now.

And for good reason, It is really a pain to go back a few years later to research a topic and the thread is bouncing around ...and I'm probably the worst offender

Oh, and GO CAVS

Tags
ecoboost, f150, grand reserve, max tow