Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

New (used) truck

I bought a new tow vehicle. I currently have a 2003 dodge ram 2500 diesel crew cab. It has about 160,000 miles on it and the engine runs good, but other parts have been wearing and the cost adds up. We were supposed to go camping this last week until labor day and about 1/2 way there, the rear strap broke on my fuel tank and ended up dumping about a 1/2 tank of fuel all over a parking lot. Still haven't got the truck back from repairs.

Anyway, I found a 2010 Ford F250 superduty 6.4L diesel long bed on ebay. It supposedly only has 79,000 miles and a super clean car fax. It only went for $9000 and all my reseach shows the blue book would be at least double that. It has some body damage, but nothing major. I am supposed to go to NY to pick it up on Saturday. The seller checks out with 100% feedback and has sold vehicles before with good feedback. I am getting good communication from him.

My mechanic says he can't work on this engine and it has major problems. Mostly related to the dpf filter and the regen process. Does anyone have a similar year diesel and have you had any problems? It seems that some of the issues can be mitigated with some extra maintenance.

Any opinions on this truck or related issues?
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab diesel w/ 8' bed
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:10 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I had a 2010 f250 with 6.4L diesel. I got rid of it at the 100,000 mile mark, it was a good motor for me with zero issues. I understand replacing the injectors is a major and costly job if needed. The only thing that I did not like about the truck is that it always started the regen process at the most inconvenient times then you have to keep driving it another 15-20 minutes until it completes the regen process.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Traded both trucks

I was not really happy with the Ford. It turns out that it was a NYPD vehicle sold at auction. It had low miles, but high hours. I ended up trading both the Ford and my 2003 dodge on a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 single axel. It has 70,900 miles on it. It is the Laramie package, so I get all of the bells and whistles that my 2003 work truck lacked. Well all the bells and whistles that existed in 2006 anyway. I love this truck, and no emissions junk to worry about. Can't wait to get a hitch in it and take the trailer out. I still made about $5500 on the Ford.
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab diesel w/ 8' bed
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

Not a Ford guy so my opinion doesn't hold much water, but from reading various forums, truck & RV, the 6.4 was just barely better than the 6.0 which was total junk.
Now you'll hear from the Ford guys what a great engine it was!
Personally would go with another Dodge/Ram or a GM, any of which for the last 8-10 years will have DPF filters, Regen cycles & DEF. Unless they've been deleted & if so personally I'd steer clear of those.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

6.4 was another turd from the Ford lineup. You have to pull the cab off to do any serious work. Some say it was worse than the infamous 6.0. Run Forrest, run. There is always a reason something is cheap.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:08 PM   #6
Site Team

I can see why the Doge guys like their trucks. It doesn't take much of an engine to drive rust around.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I can see why the Doge guys like their trucks. It doesn't take much of an engine to drive rust around.
Or recycled beer cans!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote