Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2011, 03:15 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I took delivery of our first RV in January. Included in the deal was an EAZ-Lift hitch setup with an EAZ-Lift friction sway control bar. The technician warned us when doing our final walk-around that the chains on the weight-bars would make some noise and not to be concerned about it. I am REALLY glad he mentioned something as on our drive home during low-speed maneuvers we could hear a popping/groaning noise that is difficult to explain.

At the time I didn't think anything of it, until I got it out of storage last weekend and started thinking about it more. I did some experimenting and took the sway control bar off and the noise all but disappeared. Based on this I believe the noise is almost entirely coming from the friction sway control when cornering at low speeds. Is this type of noise typical?

Thanks!

2011 Slingshot 29BHS

https://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...29BHwithTV.jpg
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:24 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

yes it is typical to have the hitch and sway bar tomake noise, mine made a bunch of noise until I greased it.

Grease the ends of the weight dist. bars where they go into the pocket, and grease the inside of the pocket too, and thatmay help with some noise. Also grease the ball. You dont need much but it is helpful with the noise and wear and tear.

My hitch made all kinds of noise when I drove with it dry/no grease. Now I keep it greased and it doesnt make a sound at all.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:31 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

yes it is typical to have the hitch and sway bar tomake noise, mine made a bunch of noise until I greased it.

Grease the ends of the weight dist. bars where they go into the pocket, and grease the inside of the pocket too, and thatmay help with some noise. Also grease the ball. You dont need much but it is helpful with the noise and wear and tear.

My hitch made all kinds of noise when I drove with it dry/no grease. Now I keep it greased and it doesnt make a sound at all.

Except don't grease the friction bar surface. The ball ends of the bar you can grease.
ronhuntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

As RonHuntFish noted do not grease the friction portion of the sway bar. It will however make noise as it gets dirty so clean the bar area once a year with soap and water and re-grease the sockets.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I experimented with it this weekend and can confirm that nearly 100% of the noise is coming from the friction sway control bar. It was nearly silent when I took that off. I didn't get a chance to try hitch grease on the sockets of the bar, but will try that next time out. I may also try to wipe down the bar area with soap and water as suggested. Hopefully that helps.

I have so far been happy with the performance - although I have only had it out a few times the most recent one was about a 45 mile trip on a 2-lane state highway with passing semi trucks and a very stiff cross-wind. Still, the popping and groaning noise is very annoying. I might be tempted to drop some $$$ replacing my hitch with something like an Equal-i-zer hitch to get rid of the friction bar.Edited by: scottw

2011 Slingshot 29BHS

https://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...29BHwithTV.jpg
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

The Equal-i-zer will still make noise. When they are making noise it means they are working. Just don't grease the friction sway control.

If you want to upgrade a hitch shop may allow you trade in your current set up to an Equal-i-zer. If I recall correctly Equal-i-zer does offer some silicon overlay to help quiet it done abit.Edited by: salda01

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote