Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #21
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
Were they concerned about the weight of the trailer and the truck's rating to pull it?
No, I was only pulling my 290QB which is 6500ish loaded. When I had the pallet in the back it was just over 3000lbs.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
In Ontario you will have to licence your truck for the weight of it and add the weight of the pin and what you carry in the truck to be safe.
We did some more digging and it appears you are right. So our license is correct. Bummer!

By the way, the license fee as increased 56% in three years. That's highway robbery!

I still don't understand why my friend had to get his truck weighed before registering it.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #23
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
By the way, the license fee as increased 56% in three years. That's highway robbery!
Don't worry I'm sure Wynne will sell all the highways soon and then it really will be highway robbery.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:43 AM   #24
New Camper

The other thing to be careful about is that some car dealer employees put car plates on new pickups rather than truck plates, which would be inconvenient and spendy if the MTO pulled you over, or a police officer who notices the detail. I've found that's more common in the bigger cities where they don't sell many trucks.
JonnyAiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:32 AM   #25
Weekend Camper

you can just ask the ministry to change the weight to what the truck weights . I had a 04 1 ton had it at 9800 kg. just to pull a big trailer. When I was done went in and asked to lower it back to the weight of the truck.
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:36 AM   #26
Family Vacation Member

Exclamation

I was thinking of pulling into an MTO scale and weigh our setup, but NOT after reading this:
RV owner may use MTO scale, but enforcement action might result - WHEELS.ca

Truck stops are a safer place, and they will give you a weight slip.
Cooper the Golden Retriever, and
Sam the black lab.
CampMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #27
Full Time Camper

We weighed our rig at a grain elevator (when we had the other truck). After getting a weight of the whole rig, we disconnected the truck and got a number on just the trailer.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #28
Full Time Camper

I pulled onto the scales at the mto once ,put the truck on and recorded the fr and rr weight , then pulled the trailer on and recorded that ,then drove off. But originally asked at the office first . There were no trucks there at the time.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:38 AM   #29
Weekend Camper

I walked into the local registry here in barrie and ask to have my truck registered at 9800kg. If over 10 then you need class d licence. I had a 1 ton at that time. I now have a 2013 2500hd with little bigger tire carries another 800 lb per tire and added airbags. I pull a 2014 rushmore Lincoln 15500 loaded. I have pulled it down to Talladega and charlotte threw the mountains with no problem. I guess if I get pulled over in Ontario I will be up the creek with out a paddle, should go weight one day
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #30
Weekend Camper

After reading the comments here,

I checked the Ontario Ministry of Transportation TRUCK HANDBOOK found in GETTING YOUR LICENCE under 1 LEGISLATION see the Drivers Licence Classification Chart. Below is what is written.
Class G
Allowed to drive any car, van or small truck or combination of vehicle and towed vehicle up to 11,000 kilograms provided the towed vehicle is not over 4,600 kilograms. A pickup truck towing a house trailer exceeds 4,600 kilograms but the total combined weight of the truck and trailer does not exceed 11,000 kilograms is deemed a Class G.

Trucks Handbook

Admittedly, there is tremendous confusion around this particular subject, especially when it comes to the interpretation at the Weigh Scales if your pulled in.

2015 F350
King Ranch Dually Diesel
Factory Reese 26,500
ROD Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #31
New Camper

That's a great discussion here. And thanks for the link ROD Camper. Agree with you, there's tremendous confusion about the classification even for the well informed, let alone someone new.

One of my brother's friend is an officer, I'll talk to him so I'd know what to expect if I get pulled over.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:14 PM   #32
Weekend Camper

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your note. The wording for the weight and how it applies to Class G or D is poorly written. The part that is important is the wording around the combination of pick up truck towing a trailer is what allows for us to use a class G licence with the big rigs.

cheers

Larry

2015 F350
King Ranch Dually Diesel
Factory Reese 26,500
Old 03-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #33
Family Vacation Member

Weight as licensed

Doesn't matter what license you carry - you are charged for the combination / total weight you might put on the road. Ie - your truck weight pluss the weight you might put in the box and or your truck weight plus the weight of the RV you might be hauling.
If your overweight and your vehicle / ownership is not registered accordingly - then you are fined for every 100kg over - yes can be quite expensive. The only thing they have changed in your favour is you don't need an "A" license now to haul over 10,000lbs ( truck weight + trailer weight). You still need to get a yearly safety for both ( fit for the road). Generally they don't hassle the Recreational RVer - but they could because you as well put the same liability on the road as do the common trucker.
I haul in both theatres.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:48 PM   #34
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
Doesn't matter what license you carry - you are charged for the combination / total weight you might put on the road. Ie - your truck weight pluss the weight you might put in the box and or your truck weight plus the weight of the RV you might be hauling.
If your overweight and your vehicle / ownership is not registered accordingly - then you are fined for every 100kg over - yes can be quite expensive. The only thing they have changed in your favour is you don't need an "A" license now to haul over 10,000lbs ( truck weight + trailer weight). You still need to get a yearly safety for both ( fit for the road). Generally they don't hassle the Recreational RVer - but they could because you as well put the same liability on the road as do the common trucker.
I haul in both theatres.
It is true that MOT inspection stations see things a bit differently if your RV gets pulled in for some reason. That said, in the TRUCKS HANDBOOK there is provision with a Class G licence it is legal to have a maximum weight COMBINATION of a pick-up truck and trailer of 11,000KG or 24,250lbs. How this might be applied is likely not to be very consistent. For that reason I do carrie a copy of the Ontario Regulation 340 94 that came into effect July 1 2011 along with MOT Truck Handbook. You are indeed correct, if we are overloaded and found to be in non compliance or our unit(s) are not properly maintained then fines are likely to be issued.
For clarity I am not a trucker but I do have 2 family members that are full time drivers from coast to coast hauling goods. Paper work is never ending, thank goodness us RV folks do not need a logbook.

2015 F350
King Ranch Dually Diesel
Factory Reese 26,500