Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I need to raise my hitch and lower my pinbox. Height is perfect now but need to get the hitch head up higher so my Bedsaver will also be higher, and pinbox will not hit tailgate if pinbox slides off onto the Bedsaver.

Question is, what should I torque rating on the pinbox bolts? Any reason to upgrade the bolts to grade 8?

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I went to a grade 8 when I went with the Demco pin box they had me torque them to 110

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn
I went to a grade 8 when I went with the Demco pin box they had me torque them to 110
what size bolts did you use? Did the Demco come with grade 5 and you just upgraded? I sure see no downside of going with grade 8 but the charts show 5/8" rating at 220 ft lbs. I don't have a torque wrench that will go that high.

Also, I've never heard of anyone shearing a grade 5 bolt in a pinbox.
Edited by: pulpwood007
Old 09-06-2010, 01:37 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Just upgraded when I put the new pin box on. I have also never hears of the bolts shearing out of the pin box. 110 lbs is enough. used the same size bolts as came in it. The holes showed no sign of wear

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

ditto fhenn's remarks. Did the same when I put on our Glideride

Kernersville, NC

2011 Ram 4500 SLT 4x4

2005 PF36SK
delqcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Still would like to know what size grade 8 bolts you guys are using that specifies only 100 ft lbs? That's awfully light unless it's a small diameter bolt.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #7
Site Team

When I upgraded my pin box to a MorRyde, I used the same bolts as were in the old one. Grade 5. There was absolutely no wear on them. It's not a real convenient place to get wrenches, so I used a drop of loktite on each bolt and tightened them up with an 2 ft. breaker bar. Had to get an open end inside to hold it from turning.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:34 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

The recommended torque rating for a specific size and grade of a bolt can be found on the Internet -- when I moved my pin box I inspected each bolt/nut and replaced any that didn't look almost new......I did however, replace all the split lock washers with new.Edited by: efavilajr
efavilajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

First I do not know what the recommended torque value for the pin box is, the manufacturer would give that. All that being said remember that the torque values in the charts are the recommended maximum torque for a given bolt. The material being held will also have a max (aluminum and cast Iron will be lower than steel) and the operation of a device or assembly may have different requirements than the bolt. In this case it may be a factor of deformation that could lower the required value. As I said at the begininng check with the manufacturer first. Edited by: Chrisnan23

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Called Lippert and was told 110 ft lbs. I used the old bolts and will periodically check them as I do all others on the hitch.

Again, I don't believe I've ever read of any issues with the pinbox bolts here or over at rv.net.