Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #21
Seasonal Camper

Trading a quiet smooth riding gas Chevrolet for a noisy rough ridding diesel Ram?

I would do some serious thinking about that first.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #22
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer View Post
Trading a quiet smooth riding gas Chevrolet for a noisy rough ridding diesel Ram?

I would do some serious thinking about that first.
I'd agree with this 100%.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #23
Seasonal Camper

My only concern would be if the previous owner had it "chipped" while he owned it and removed the programmer before selling.

The 5.9 and transmission is NOT bullet proof once chipped.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #24
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipeFlier View Post
My only concern would be if the previous owner had it "chipped" while he owned it and removed the programmer before selling.

The 5.9 and transmission is NOT bullet proof once chipped.
There is no way to know that. Some Chrysler cars and trucks have a count to show how many times the computer has be flashed but it it was only loaded once and then removed it wouldn't look any different to standard dealer flash. Any signs of significant abuse could be found during a normal inspection process.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #25
Site Team

I don't know about Chrysler cars and trucks. The GM dealer told me on the newer Duramax (I had an 03) if there was a chip or any kind of a program installed, they were able to tell. Then the warranty went poof.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #26
Full Time Camper

As with Ford....
in this day and age, it's easy (with the correct equipment) to see the telltale signs with 'out of normal range' burn patterns, longer duration fuel injections, overboost, etc..., etc...

If ya wanna play, you gotta be prepared to pay
Old 12-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #27
Family Vacation Member

Im not sure how I feel about deletes, still gathering info. These trucks have plenty of power. I would never do something that would void my warranty.

That being said, after my warranty was up I think deleting the EGR,DEF and exaust filter would be worth lookong into. I dont think abusing the engine is a smart thing to do but letting it breath a little shouldnt hurt a thing.
I have noticed a couple members here are also on the Ford truck enthusiast forum.
Iam new to that forum but there seems to be alot of info there.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #28
Full Time Camper

I don't know about the other brands, but I had a RAM diesel mechanic tell me that the 6.7 will run better without the EGR and exhaust filter. Now the newer RAMS with DEF might be a different story, I don't have experience with RAM after they added DEF. Plus the EGR system needs to be cleaned around 67,000 miles due to exhaust soot build up and you wont get the exhaust soot build up with a delete for obvious reasons.
You will get all kinds of guys against doing the deletes and guys that are all for it. If you delete under warranty I have been told it depends on your dealership if they will still cover things if things break, as long as your smart about it and not going after huge horse power with out upgrading your trans I have never personally heard of anyone having problems after a delete, Not saying there isn't any problems I just have not heard of any myself.
I owned a 2003 2500 RAM with the 5.9 and I didn't think it was noisy nor did I feel it rode rough, but others will have a different experience, but my experience has been very positive. I had zero problems with my 03 when I traded for a newer RAM at 130,000 miles. Good luck on making a decision.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #29
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhauler View Post
I owned a 2003 2500 RAM with the 5.9 and I didn't think it was noisy nor did I feel it rode rough, but others will have a different experience, but my experience has been very positive. I had zero problems with my 03 when I traded for a newer RAM at 130,000 miles. Good luck on making a decision.
It is obvious you never drove a Duramax.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #30
Weekend Camper

Being a truck driver I can tell you the big truck diesels aren't broke in until 100K. It's not uncommon to get 1,000,000 miles before a major overhaul.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #31
Full Time Camper

I went from an 03 Silverado 1500 HD with a 6.0 and 410 gears to my current 09 Silverado 3500 with the 6.6 Duramax. I could not be happier, obviously it's night and day. It's actually a pleasure to drive. I just took it for a 6 hour drive and it was almost like the trailer wasn't there. The Duramax is very quiet by diesel standards. Maintenance is definitely more expensive for me it's worth it for the piece of mind when I'm towing.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #32
Weekend Camper

Not beat a horse to death...But our 2003 dodge 5.9 2500 pulls our 5th wheel like a dream. We average 15mpg pulling no matter, And you sure cant beat the low end torque. Also to tell the truth we have had zero problems with our truck....only has 75,000 miles and looking for the next batch.
swannymh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #33
Family Vacation Member

A gaser can't hold a candle to a diesel towing the same amount of weight. Back when---my gas 360 would slow almost to a crawl by the time we crested some hills, when I traded and got my diesel with the same trailer it would not slow down, just kept eatin. And yes mine being older is a little noisy, but the newer the model year the quitter they run. In MO if it has been taken care of is in good shape you won't be sorry, even with that many miles.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #34
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhauler View Post
I went from an '05 Dodge Ram with a 5.9 to my current 2014 RAM (anyone else still weird'ed about the "Dodge" being dropped from the name???).

Definitely a difference in ride and noise level. Even my wife noticed a big improvement in ride smoothness, she hated riding in the '05. (guess the new coil spring rear suspension makes a difference after all...)

Now as far as noise....Funny story (to me at least). I had test driven some of the trucks before buying but for some reason I never actually tested the actual truck I bought. Long story short, I signed my papers and drove off the lot. Got around the corner and I freaked out for just a split second. Again for just a split second I thought I made a mistake and bought the gas engine. Inside the cab it was so much quieter than my old truck I actually thought (even if it was a quick thought) that it was way to quiet to be a diesel engine and I really F'ed up. I know, I sound like a moron but this is my true personal story...

I also know the OP has no interest in buying a 2014 truck but the above quote made me think about my experience

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 Longhorn

2015 CrossRoads Longhorn ReZerve LTZ31SB (basically its a Zinger ReZerve 35' bunkhouse that has been decked out Texas style)
FireRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:22 AM   #35
Full Time Camper

That's the case with all the new trucks...

I think it's terrible that my wife's twin turbo v6 sounds better than my big honking diesel !!!

Sounds like a blow drier on steroids when you are towing and gas it

Thank the EPA idjuts for that - have you SEEN that exhaust system under there ?!?
Old 12-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
That's the case with all the new trucks...

I think it's terrible that my wife's twin turbo v6 sounds better than my big honking diesel !!!

Sounds like a blow drier on steroids when you are towing and gas it
That must be a Ford thing . My Duramax sounds like a diesel, just quiet until I get on it.

Oh, and by the way, diesel is $2.73 in central VA. Regular is under $2.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #37
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyone View Post
A gaser can't hold a candle to a diesel towing the same amount of weight. Back when---my gas 360 would slow almost to a crawl by the time we crested some hills, when I traded and got my diesel with the same trailer it would not slow down, just kept eatin. And yes mine being older is a little noisy, but the newer the model year the quitter they run. In MO if it has been taken care of is in good shape you won't be sorry, even with that many miles.
Turbo charge the gasser and it will be whole different story.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:27 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer View Post
Turbo charge the gasser and it will be whole different story.
That has certainly been my experience.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #39
Family Vacation Member

Smile

Lloyd, we have had experience with turbo's & superchargers on nontow vehicles which have all been positive. Could you give us a rundown on the pros & cons of gas turbos while towing? It looks like you have afew years experisence with the echo boost engine & would appreciate your 1st hand experience. Thanks
loogie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:01 AM   #40
Site Team

So far I'm very well satisfied with the Eco-Boost engine in my pickup.
When out on the highway without the trailer, I get from 18 to as high as 23 mpg. That depends on temperature, wind, and how I drive.

Towing the 5th wheel is a different story. I've seen on rare occasion 12 mpg. Most of the time it's doing in the 9 to 9.5 range. We ran across SD. and southern MN. in a horrible side wind and I seen it down as low as 6.5

Towing--it seems to have as much power as my old Duramax. We have been in some fairly steep mountain ranges with it, and it held the speed I had it set for. In other words if the cruise was set at 55 or 60 when I started up, it was still doing 55 or 60 when I topped the grade. I was a little concerned about the engine being able to hold me back when going down the other side of the grade, but it actually did pretty good. (but it still makes me nervous) The Duramax was excellent in that respect.
I like the fact that I can buy gas instead of diesel with difference between the two on cost. The truck is way quieter then my old Duramax, it rides better, and it doesn't stink diesel exhaust.

I'm not trying to start a truck wars here, but you asked for my pros and cons. I've tried to give them as I have experienced it with my truck.