Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Shank Length

Hi guys,

Can someone kind enough to educate a new guy and help explain the purpose of different shank lengths for WD setups? I tow boats all the time but recently purchased/ordered a TT and decided on a WD hitch but have been curious on this question. I get the different drop/rise sizes, but actually length of the shank I'm left wondering. Can someone help enlighten a newb?
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I can't think of any reason why you would want one any longer than necessary unless there's a variation in the offset of the holes for the pin.

The shank makes a lever on your rear end, so the shorter the better.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #3
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesWIU View Post
Hi guys,

Can someone kind enough to educate a new guy and help explain the purpose of different shank lengths for WD setups? I tow boats all the time but recently purchased/ordered a TT and decided on a WD hitch but have been curious on this question. I get the different drop/rise sizes, but actually length of the shank I'm left wondering. Can someone help enlighten a newb?

Shanks adjust the hitch height on the trailer close to level. The WD hitch will come with instructions about the target height of the ball based on setup. The shank holes are used to adjust the ball to that height. This should correspond to you trailer being level once everything is hooked up. You may have to adjust one shank hole up or down to get it dialed in
aerojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:54 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerojar View Post
Shanks adjust the hitch height on the trailer close to level. The WD hitch will come with instructions about the target height of the ball based on setup. The shank holes are used to adjust the ball to that height. This should correspond to you trailer being level once everything is hooked up. You may have to adjust one shank hole up or down to get it dialed in
My apologies, I should have clarified what I meant by "length". By length, I did not mean the vertical length for ball placement. I meant the horizontal length of the shank. IE the length of the part that slides into the receiver.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:56 AM   #5
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesWIU View Post
My apologies, I should have clarified what I meant by "length". By length, I did not mean the vertical length for ball placement. I meant the horizontal length of the shank. IE the length of the part that slides into the receiver.
The post from ded hits it on the head then. Shorter is better. Only reason for longer would be if you wanted to drive with your tailgate down like you had loaded a golf cart in your bed, or your setup could cause your tow vehicle and trailer to interfere at full turns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
aerojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:28 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerojar View Post
The post from ded hits it on the head then. Shorter is better. Only reason for longer would be if you wanted to drive with your tailgate down like you had loaded a golf cart in your bed, or your setup could cause your tow vehicle and trailer to interfere at full turns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Shank Length is to be so "TV" & trailer can make a tight turn w/o any part of "TV" from making contact w/ trailer.

Had a 1960 Chrysler New Yorker Wagon w/ beautiful fins that needed EXTRA shank length when towing a 1949 Yellowstone "Canned Ham." Fins made terrible holes in trailer on maiden voyage; 100 hrs to pull front skin, repair, & re-skin! 1949 YellowStone was stolen early 2003, never recovered/found.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:08 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I saw the title of this thread and I just had to tune in.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Maximum Steel is offline   Reply With Quote